The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Ledgie

Default who else thinks Stevie is the best songwriter in the group?

She most certainly is in my opinion, Lindsey is better at writing the long epics but that doesn't make the song better..not even close.

Beautiful Child is better than anything he's made imo.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a long-time Stevie fan, so I think I'm way too prejudiced to reply to this question, but I will anyway! Yes, I do think she's the best songwriter in the group. We know she's the most prolific. She, by her own admission, is not the best musician, and I think Lindsey can safely lay claim to that title.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking They are BOTH poets...

Stevie writes in a mystical, airy-fairy (not a diss, I love her airy-fairy lyrics!!) kind of way...while Lindsey writes in a more realistic way. She is TOTAL fantasy and he is TOTAL real world. LOL They are BOTH poets in different ways. Stevie writes more complicated lyrics, and Lindsey's are simpler. Love em both! There are instances where Lindsey's lyrics are stronger and vice versa for Stevie. I respond to music moreso than lyrics, but when a lyric touches my soul....it's AWESOME!!
Old 04-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd say Stevie is the most natural songwriter in the group. And she's constantly writing, so I guess that gives her points there. But Lindsey has certainly made it into his own art form, especially the way he toils and tries to make everything so perfect. So I'd like to vote them both as best, if that's possible!
Old 04-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie, without a doubt. That is her true talent. She has a way of writing those types of songs where you say "damn, if I was able to write songs, that is exactly how I would want to do it". Her lyrics connect with people in a way that is never forgotten.

Lindsey's true talent is his guitar playing, along with his skills in arranging music and producing these awesome songs.

Well, someday when we're older
And my hair is silver gray
Unbraid with all of the love that you have
Like a soft, silver chain . . .
Old 04-27-2003, 12:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey imo. He's the one with the vision that turns (sometimes) bland demos into something really great.

I prefer Stevies lyrics on certain songs though.
Old 04-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I prefer...

Stevie, Lindsey & Christine equally in FM...I just can't put one over another in the songwriting catergory, Just wouldnt be fair IMO, Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 04-27-2003, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I wouldn't want to use the word "best," as I think it's unfair to all of the songwriters in Fleetwood Mac, including Stevie, to put any one above the others.
They're all amazing songwriters in their own right, and they've all written songs that really affect me.

But Stevie has definitely contributed the largest amount of songs that deeply touch me and inspire me.
Old 04-27-2003, 01:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default What JS and Brian J said.

Stevie is not the best writer in the group IMO, because they're so varied. I mean, if you took the perspective of chart-topping, perfect pop you'd go with Christine, but then Stevie comes up with mysterioso gems like Rhiannon and Dreams that eclipse everyday pop. And Lindsey in the end has written the stuff most relevant and inspiring to me personally, so... take your pic basically.

That's the great thing about FM - they're the lazy man's band! You don't have to look far beynd their catalogue to find something to suit your tastes.
Old 04-27-2003, 03:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As far as for hautning me and capturing a dark feeling, Stevie is it. But, LB (days when the rain and the son where gone black as night - agony has torn at my hert so long) and esp. CM (sweet wonderful you!!!) are a very very close second!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 04-27-2003, 07:10 AM
Senior Ledgie

For me, Stevie is easily the strongest writer of the three. I don't think she has written anything as awful as "Sugar Daddy" or "Eyes of the World." She doesn't even come close to that. In reality, I like all of Stevie's FM songs. Christine can be very bland and boring, and Lindsey is sometimes just too wierd. Stevie is it for me.

Dan
"It's not about the money, and it's not about the fame. It's about knowing that I connected with people, and that maybe one of my songs made them feel better at some point in their life when they were sad." -Stevie Nicks

Last edited by SeventhWonder; 04-27-2003 at 07:21 AM..
Old 04-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't know; I can't say Stevie over Lindsey or Lindey over Stevie. Emotionally, Stevie ha been the most inspirational, but that doesn't make her better. Lindsey has a wit to him, an urgency, and a vulnerablility that you can see in his music. I love both equally!
Old 04-27-2003, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
For me, Stevie is easily the strongest writer of the three. I don't think she has written anything as awful as "Sugar Daddy" or "Eyes of the World."
Oi! Eyes Of The World sounds f'n great live!

Again... Lindsey is the one that takes a lot of the songs and makes them great.

Out Of The Cradle imo, is as good as any Mac album.
Old 04-27-2003, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well,in terms of Stevie and Linds,it is like comparing apples and oranges.They do not write in the same context at ALL. Stevie could never have written "Come",and there is no way Linds could have written,say,"Illume".Linds is more straighforward,but at the same time more adventurous,whereas Stevie is more "lala land" and emotional..she sees things through a very unique set of eyes.Like Linds recently said,sometimes he doesn't know what the hell she is talking about Anyway,they kinda cancel out each others quirks and come up with great stuff...

"I walk on stage, I'm very strong, I'm still pretty cute and I rock." -Stevie Nicks
Old 04-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ditto to what Johnny Stew said.

~Angela~