~Alex

Old 08-07-2002, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ditto!
Old 08-07-2002, 12:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD

Equally obnoxious are those who claim heresy upon those who don't fall to our knees and worship "all things Nicks".

Having a bad day??? Get up on the wrong side of the bed???Anyway, you're barking up the wrong tree because I claimed absolutely nothing of the kind, I simply commented that there is no need to turn a positive thread into a negative thread. So calm down! I don't care who's a fan of whom, variety is the spice of life and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just think there is a time and a place for everything and your comment and its predecessor just caught me off guard when the thread was supposed to concern what we like about the band musically.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Life is balance, the "yin" & "yang" of all things. Too much of anything isn't good.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Post Stevie Nicks

First of all I'd like to second everything that The Tower posted in his/her thread. Well said!

Quote:
Posted by Carnevaca: I've followed this band for a long time, and it gets a little tiring to keep seeing the perpetuation of the Myth of Stevie Nicks. She was great early on, but now she is anything but.
In defense of Stevie Nicks, and why she has to the most defended member of FM sometimes baffles me. The fact that Stevie is still doing what she is doing...writing, recording, touring and successfully too should dispute in part what the above quote said. Maybe she isn't AS successful as she used to be, but who is(McCartney and Jagger to name a few). Stevie's GREATNESS lies in her staying power and the legacy she will leave behind. She should be flattered by all of the musicians, writers, and performers who are inspired by her and emulate her TRYING to capture what she has done in rock and roll.

Joe
Old 08-07-2002, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by chiliD

Equally obnoxious are those who claim heresy upon those who don't fall to our knees and worship "all things Nicks".

If it wasn't for her "one trick pony" of her alter-ego stage persona of "The Welsh Gypsy Witch", she'd still be asking "do you want fries with that?"

Although, I'm not one to automatically jump on the Buckingham bandwagon, either. He also had some great ideas long ago, but he's just reformed and recycled them like a 20+ year old glop of silly-putty.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
She was great early on, but now she is anything but.

quote: Stevie can't play piano for ****, yes

I started this thread to be positive and to celebrate all the great talents of Fleetwood Mac. I had not planned on some of the negativity. I think a true Fleetwood Mac fan would celebrate the members and discuss their positives and not look to comment mostly on their negatives, nor would they look to slam the members of the band. I guess KIND criticism is okay, but slamming them is not cool!

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 08-07-2002, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Tower
Talent is such a subjective word.... Talented in what form???
I couldn't disagree more. Talent is not subjective. Taste is.

[B]So what if Stevie can't play the piano- she's not supposed to./B][/QUOTE]

True, but someone earlier called her a "fabulous" piano player, which couldn't be less accurate. At one point she could write -- she was a great songwriter -- and that was at about the same time that she could sing. In my humble, most subjective opinion, she can do neither now.
Old 08-07-2002, 12:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Location: Minnesota....but really ANYWHERE but HERE.....because it SUCKS!!!
Heart JOE, jwd, my "mini MICK"....

*Stands clapping at his genius defense and Stevie loving self*

RIGHT ON!!!

Soooooo it's been awhile...how ya doing?

LOL
~alex~ aka "little STEVIE"

"Bondage looks good on ya B, the outfits all wrong, but hey"~Faith in 'Enemies'

"Hello, GAY now"~ Willow in 'Triangle'
Old 08-07-2002, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok, now I have to post........

Stevie is an EXCELLENT songwriter, Stevie has an EXCELLENT voice...and you know what? She is doing the best she can do, with the voice she has!!! The voice that Stevie once had has been withered away, no doubt, BUT does that mean she is utterly useless????? I ,for one, am quite happy with the Stevie of today....I just think that some people are being quite harsh with her.....

~Alex

Old 08-07-2002, 01:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

I couldn't disagree more. Talent is not subjective. Taste is.
I totally agree with that.

What constitutes talent anyway?

I was talking to the guitar tech of a very very big British band (no names mentioned). Anyway, he used to be the lead guitarist before the band became big, then they hired him as the guitar tech after they became famous. He actually teaches the lead singer and guitarist of this group how to play his own songs!!!

We hear those songs and say "That Mr. ??? is so talented" Hmm.....

Everybody is super talented at something. To have that talent as your career is very rare indeed. Only about 5% of musicians are truly talented. The rest just work at it.

In my opinion, musically, Buckingham, Green and John McVie are naturally talented, the others just work hard at it. Writing is a different matter.....

Last edited by madformac; 08-07-2002 at 01:21 PM..
Old 08-07-2002, 01:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...Stevie has an EXCELLENT voice...and you know what? She is doing the best she can do, with the voice she has!!!
Isn't this a contradiction?

It's like saying "Bob Dylan has an EXCELLENT voice". He doesn't. But, he DOES have a unique voice, a voice that fits HIM. Not the case with Stevie. She HAD a "very good" voice, but she mistreated it, and then lost it. Which is a great shame. She's been LEFT with a voice that now is uniquely hers, but at what cost?
Old 08-07-2002, 01:47 PM

I agree with ChiliD and Madformac.

For the record, the idea that as a fan you should only make positive statements about the band is simply misguided. With that kind of logic, for instance a fan who says, "I don't particularly like 'Not That Funny'" should simply not express that view. A fan who says, "Lindsey's guitar was drowned in the mix when I saw the band in concert" shouldn't express that view.

It's simply unrealistic to expect that only positive statements ought to be made. This after all is a discussion board.

As for Ms. Nicks, remember the South Park episode in which she was represented as a goat? 'Nuff said.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I started this thread to be positive and to celebrate all the great talents of Fleetwood Mac.

Whatever the "intention", once the post is out there, it takes on a life (and death) of it's own. Or , until a moderator deems that it be euthanized.

If Fleetwood Mac and it's members were beyond reproach, then fine; but, there's A LOT of dissatisfaction that is included in being a "SEVERE" Fleetwood Mac fan.
Old 08-07-2002, 01:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Location: Minnesota....but really ANYWHERE but HERE.....because it SUCKS!!!
Wink True...

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
As for Ms. Nicks, remember the South Park episode in which she was represented as a goat? 'Nuff said.
HAHAHA I never said her voice was like it used to be....I'm in agreement there It won't change my loyalty or fanship though And I also agree with the idea that as a fan it's not only your right,but in some respects like a RESPONSIBILITY to make your opinions known of the GOOD, the BAD, and the UGLY aspects of the band....you can't always dole out constant praise-what's the point of that...?!

LOL
~alex~*

"Bondage looks good on ya B, the outfits all wrong, but hey"~Faith in 'Enemies'

"Hello, GAY now"~ Willow in 'Triangle'

Last edited by BBALLGYPSY17; 08-07-2002 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

If I were interested in singers with "perfect" voices, then I'd be whiling away my time on an Anne Murray message board somewhere.

Fleetwood Mac is a rock and roll band, and Stevie is a rock and roll singer.
Rock isn't about perfection, it's about feeling.

While I, too, disagree with the notion that Stevie is some untouchable diety, I just as strongly disagree with the notion that she is a "one trick pony," whose contributions to the musical landscape, and to Fleetwood Mac in particular, should be written off.

Every artist has some kind of "image," but if you strip away that image and there's nothing left, then they're not going to be around very long.

If it were really all about some glam outfits, and some cool boots, she would have been long forgotten by now (Does anyone still get all hyped over Gary Glitter??).

Stevie has been recording since 1973, and has enjoyed a tremendous amount of popularity in the 29 years since. True, her popularity waned for a period, but that was more of a reflection on changing tastes, than on her abilities... as evidenced by the fact that she's "popular" once again.

I think that's a pretty impressive testament to the fact that this is a talented woman, who has more than just some groovy outfits going for her.

Johnny Stew

Last edited by Johnny Stew; 08-07-2002 at 05:53 PM..