The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-19-2004, 03:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yeah, LATE '60's...but, you gotta remember that Fleetwood Mac was formed BEFORE Led Zeppelin!! Zeppelin started out in 1968 (a year AFTER Fleetwood Mac), so they'd be considered a '60's band, too...even though they didn't hit their greatest heights until the 70's.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

When I was in high school, Fleetwood Mac was just dreadfully un-cool... even when 'Tango' was big.
FM was either the band that your mom and dad listened to, or your kid sister listened to.

Most rock/classic rock fans tend to think of FM as a "soft" band, lacking the crunch and electricity of bands like Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Van Halen, etc.
And they're often considered too AC for the Top 40 crowd.

It's funny though, for as much grief as did (and still do) get for being an FM fan, many of my friends in high school would say, "hey, I saw FM on MTV this weekend," or "I heard Stevie's new song on the radio."
Sometimes they'd even admit to liking it.

But I have converted many, many people over the years. I gauge what kind of music they tend to listen to, fashion a Mac mix-tape (or, now, CD) to suit their tastes, and then let the music do the rest.

I've found that once someone has a few Mac songs they really like, they tend to be more open to the songs they might not have listened to before.

Still, it doesn't work on everyone... my father & brother especially! (Though Dad usually likes Christine's songs and loves "Tusk," and my brother "tolerates" "Never Going Back Again.")
Old 11-19-2004, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
When I was in high school, Fleetwood Mac was just dreadfully un-cool... even when 'Tango' was big.
FM was either the band that your mom and dad listened to, or your kid sister listened to.

Most rock/classic rock fans tend to think of FM as a "soft" band,

Here in Peru the Mac was never uncool, but it was considered a soft band. Most fans of hard rock like Aerosmith or Led Z, doesn't like the mac that much, but they respect them. They didn't hate Fleetwood Mac

They did hate ABBA, that was the band mom&dad listened and encourage their children to hear, so ABBA was really hated!!!

Now, my friends fan of hard rock, they started to love Stevie when she sang SDMHA with Tom Petty. They found her very cool
Old 11-19-2004, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My oldest brother dislikes all Fleetwood Mac with the exception of "Big Love," which he claims is the only "different" song FM has recorded, and my other brother basically dislikes all of it. My Dad only likes The Eagles and Bread, so I can't say that he likes FM at all.

My Mom is the only one in my family I've been able to work with. She loves almost any FM that involves Stevie or Bob Welch (from what I've played her). And she loves Stevie's solo works, with the exceptions of the songs she thinks are shallow like "Talk to Me." As a rule, she dislikes Christine and Lindsey. She says Christine is too cheesy and Lindsey doesn't write good lyrics and his voice annoys her. However, I've gotten her to like "Why" and "Never Going Back Again," and I got her to reluctantly admit that "I Know I'm Not Wrong" is a good song. I've played her some of the blues stuff, and she doesn't care for that. I just recently played her some Danny (from Bare Trees) and she seemed to like that, so there's hope with that.

Hillary
Old 11-19-2004, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
My oldest brother dislikes all Fleetwood Mac with the exception of "Big Love," which he claims is the only "different" song FM has recorded, and my other brother basically dislikes all of it. My Dad only likes The Eagles and Bread, so I can't say that he likes FM at all.

My Mom is the only one in my family I've been able to work with. She loves almost any FM that involves Stevie or Bob Welch (from what I've played her). And she loves Stevie's solo works, with the exceptions of the songs she thinks are shallow like "Talk to Me." As a rule, she dislikes Christine and Lindsey. She says Christine is too cheesy and Lindsey doesn't write good lyrics and his voice annoys her. However, I've gotten her to like "Why" and "Never Going Back Again," and I got her to reluctantly admit that "I Know I'm Not Wrong" is a good song. I've played her some of the blues stuff, and she doesn't care for that. I just recently played her some Danny (from Bare Trees) and she seemed to like that, so there's hope with that.

Hillary

My mom thinks the same thing about Chris, and whenever i bring up FM, she rolls her eyes and starts singing GYOW in this really, really, whiny voice...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 11-19-2004, 09:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, I used to dislike them back in the 70s. (Hate is such a strong word.) And my brother liked them. I just thought they were all weird & a bunch of druggies. (Well, that part was true). And I was more into disco then. Now my brother dislikes them & I like them. Go figure.

Lee
Old 11-19-2004, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber

My mom thinks the same thing about Chris, and whenever i bring up FM, she rolls her eyes and starts singing GYOW in this really, really, whiny voice...
Really? All this time I thought my Mom was the only one who really disliked Lindsey's voice, because I've heard (well, read) so many people saying his voice is ultra-sexy. My Mom thinks he's a little smarmy, too. (Is that the correct spelling?) I used that word the other day and a friend of mine said she'd never heard it before in her life.

Hillary
Old 11-19-2004, 11:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
Really? All this time I thought my Mom was the only one who really disliked Lindsey's voice, because I've heard (well, read) so many people saying his voice is ultra-sexy. My Mom thinks he's a little smarmy, too. (Is that the correct spelling?) I used that word the other day and a friend of mine said she'd never heard it before in her life.

Hillary
no, he really does have kind of a whiny voice...for a guy...yeah, that's the right spelling. Same thing happened to me in HS when i used the word smarmy. It led to a string of jokes about Smarmots (smarmy marmots) don't ask, cause i don't know...

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 11-20-2004, 12:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

my boyfriend HATES fleetwood mac.....(he's a punk, what can you expect... ) however, he will admit that lindsey buckingham is an awesome guitarist. i think i'm going to have to start slowly introducing him to the mac....and maybe he'll like it
Oh, steal your heart away~
Old 11-20-2004, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

" Who doesn't like Fleetwood Mac"?

My mom hates them. In 1977 , she was 19 and she said it was all they played on the radio. She hated it then and she hates them even more now.

She HATES Stevie Nicks. She thinks she is a witch, a loser and that she can't sing at all.

It was really hard being a fan while living with her. She didn't even want to walk in my room with the posters.

Go figure?!
Old 11-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

My mom has listened to the Mac in the car when I was little in the mid 70's and then when I got into them in 1982, she loved Hold Me and Eyes of the World. She has two Mac CDs~~Mirage and Greatest Hits from 1988. I think she prefers Christine's songs.
My siblings are younger than me by 9 years and 16 years, when they were younger the Mac was played heavily and they were into it. Now, I would say they appreciate the band still but aren't exactly passionate about them like I am. I know my little sister was not crazy about the Say You Will CD/Tour but prefers the classic stuff.
The three doctors I work for know of my passion for the Mac even granting me time off to go out of state to see them. One doctor is almost 50 yrs old and he prefers the Bare Trees/MTM lineup but enjoys the late 70/early 80's visions of Ms. Nicks. He does express how he thinks Mick is not an A+ drummer and he loathes Mr. Buckingham ~~whether it's to get me annoyed or because he doesn't like to hear how talented & gorgeous the man is, I must admit I do carry on about it! Next doctor is in his early 40's and likes music (R.E.M., Sheryl Crow, etc.)~~he comes in bearing any Mac news he hears and when Say You Will came out he commented on how they have that distinct sound. I also watched the Today show episode with him. He is just cool to work with.
Doctor number three is a couple years older than me and told me one of the first album's he bought was BellaDonna, but he hasn't really listened to the Mac/Stevie in recent years (the newer stuff)
My friend and co-worker likes The Chain and a few other tunes but was never big on the band. Her husband loves Stevie Nicks.
I have met friends and penpals through loving the band and their music.
I have even introduced the Mac's music to a few people who like it.
Never met anyone who didn't like the Mac in some way or in one of their various lineups.

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009

Last edited by macmar71; 11-21-2004 at 01:08 AM..
Old 11-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
MAybe they are fans of Led Zeppelin and all those kind of bands. People who like them does not listen soft rock often.
I'm a big fan of both bands.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:54 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
And, I'll bet many of the Led Zep fans would've been into the Peter Green or Bob Welch eras of FMac, but not the Rumours incarnation.
That is a good point ChiilD. I like all eras of the Mac. My favorite however, is the Welch era.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic
And, trying to recall, I have not met anybody who said "I don't like Fleetwood Mac" Do you?
I do. I've encountered hundreds of people who really hate Fleetwood Mac. Even many people who are close to me dislike them quite a bit.

Friends, co-workers, kin . . . even people I've had in my Fleetwood cover band -- there's plenty of Mac hatred to go around in my sphere. It's invigorating! It certainly keeps the conversation on other subjects.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-24-2004, 01:47 AM
joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypnotized
That is a good point ChiilD. I like all eras of the Mac. My favorite however, is the Welch era.
i started to really listen to the welch era a year or two ago. i had heard but never really LISTENED to the the welch years.

what's great is that you basically have christine and bob sharing mystery and bare trees. bob's **** is just plain cool and i came to the conclusion that there was no song back then that i didn't like of christines - even 'show me a smile'. i actually liked them as a band. they weren't sappy or poppy but cool and funky...i don't know...maybe it's the structured and tight rhythm/keyboard section.

i used to think stevie's 'angel' was an earlier version on hashtf when i used to thumb thru the pre-b/n lps in record stores in the early 80's. i digress....i remember actually seeing the b/n album for sale but not thinking much about it...i had already liked them but was still discovering them in 1982...the previous lives of fm was a task back then. when i did hear the occasional radio airplay of 'silver springs' (featured artist day) i was trying to find it on one of the pre-75 albums cause they never announced the song...

ha ha...i really should just go post on the pre-remours forum right now....
some cool **** definately! 'penguin' is cool too...love 'future games.' f 'n love that song too...

Last edited by joe; 11-24-2004 at 02:02 AM..