The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey! Those opening chords of "Bleed to Love Her" specifically.

I became a fan in 1997 and didn't see the band until 2009. I know. But I saw Stevie and Lindsey solo prior, my first time seeing Stevie was actually in 1998.
Old 04-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine first, Everywhere was my favorite song for years. Until SYW, now Stevie Nicks rules my destiny.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In the 70's I hook myself to FM and Stevie.I was into pop rock until 1977 when Rumours came out.then in may 1977 I got into country music then kept FM/Stevie/Lindsey on my side ever since then.Now pop rock tunes from the 70's and 80's now sounds so good compare to the crap thats on the radio now,including the new country tunes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 04-18-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Ledgie

I was only 14 when the Mac came out with hits. I LOVED their music but to answer this question ,,,,,,it was Stevie that first got me "hooked". I couldn't believe such a strong powerful voice could come out of a little , beautiful woman! Each member of the Mac has me appreciate the entire band for whom they are, but lill Stevie had me in awe ala television..............Maybe if Christine was the one out in front I'd feel that way about her...........
Old 04-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondergirl9847 View Post
THE MAN himself...got me hooked!! I heard Holiday Road and DATUSA in the movie National Lampoons Vacation, I was watching the movie during a dark time in my life (needed to laugh) and BAM, I went "WHO IS THAT SINGING?!" The rest is history...I got OOTC and GI, then the 1988 GH CD, then, Tango and Mirage after that....the others. LOL

My life HAS NOT been the same since.
Peacekeeper was the first Mac song I heard and drew me into SYW ... but Running Through The Garden really made me sit up and take notice of this amazing, unique voice. And my life hasn't been the same since either
For a long time I was all about Stevie but Lindsey definitely grew on me and currently I'm listening to him more than anyone. It reinforces my faith in cycles, etc etc.

As for part two of the question: I became a fan in April 2004 and saw FM for the first time Unleashed in Dublin, October 2009.

Fun thread, thanks for posting!

Last edited by Sahara; 04-19-2010 at 08:37 AM..
Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Chris.First time I heard "SYLM"on the radio in the mid-70's.And THEN,when I heard all THREE of their voices sing the chorus TOGETHER,my little ears never heard SUCH a beautiful sound as THAT b4!I've never 4goten that magical childhood moment!!!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually, "none of the above".

I was a Peter Green fan before Fleetwood Mac even existed.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

stevie & lindsey~ may aunt had a copy of buck/nicks when it first came out~ i loved it, i thought stevie looked like an indian princess on the cover (lolol i was 5) & then when they joined the mac i followed the 2 ever since~
Old 04-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Actually, "none of the above".

I was a Peter Green fan before Fleetwood Mac even existed.
ChiliD!-GREAT2c ur stil"ledging"&I'm SO glad2have climbed back onto The Ledge!I was 7 when the White Album was released&sometimes I wish I was from "the last generation"WISH my baby ears were hip enuf2dig the "Green gods"gems in their infancy!THANK U4remindin!us there was life B4 S&L!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Fleetwood Mac.

The BBC used Albatross on a sports programme as the background music to slow motion film of athletes going over hurdles.

Gail
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was 6 when Rumours was released. My sister bought it and that album was on constant play for the next two years. I remember liking every song on it but I was young and also liked Andy Gibb, Wings, and Boston--other albums in the house. So I'm not sure I could say this was the start of my initial fandom.

Tusk came and went. I watched the video for the title track premier on Solid Gold and was floored by how different it sounded from anything on Rumours.

I suppose I properly became a fan when I was 11. Mirage was released and I was a huge fan of Gypsy--the song and the video. I also loved Hold Me and Love in Store. But, yeah, Gypsy got me hooked. I bought Mirage, then returned to the old Rumours album still in the house. Soon, I bought Tusk, Fleetwood Mac...By 1984 I had all the pre-BN albums, except the first two on Blue Horizon. I bought a compilation ("Vintage Years") to cover those.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

When I was little, I had seen my dad's CD of Tango in the Night in our CD cabinet, but had no clue as to who the Mac was or what that album was, but I kept on wondering who was the tall guy that looked like Hagrid from Harry Potter (yeah, I'm talking about Mick, and I still do think he does bear a resemblance to him lol), but these days, I enjoy it. What also didn't help that The Dance went down when I was about 7, and then, I was too concerned with more "important" things such as watching Nick.

Years later, when I was 17 and close to graduating high school (I graduated in '08), I started to drift away from my tastes of top 40 pop and rap and towards rock and metal, and with that, my dad told me to check out Go Your Own Way and I loved it (it's now my favorite FM song). I began to check out more of their stuff and I liked it, but what really set me off was when my parents bought a record player and decided to make the first album to be played on there to be my dad's vinyl copy of Rumours. Maybe it was the vinyl vintage factor, but I came to love that album and with it, the band.

Oh yeah, and that vinyl copy of Rumours? After making a CD of the album with a couple of songs thrown on at the end (Take It Easy and Hotel Cali by the Eagles, Dreams by Van Halen, and Won't Get Fooled Again by The Who) for my dad, I got got technical ownership of that album.

You can add me on Facebook
Old 05-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd heard "Dreams" a few times growing up and always loved that song, but it was "Little Lies" and then the truly stellar "Everywhere" that hooked me to the band. Then I discovered Stevie Nicks' impassioned performance of Rhiannon (from the Midnight Show) on YouTube and my obsession with the intoxicatingly captivating singer and her phenomenal band was born.

I was an ardent Mac fan for two years before I attended my first concert last year (June 8, Milwaukee). It remains my most cherished memory.

-Matt
Old 05-15-2010, 11:14 AM
Registered

For me, it was seeing Stevie perform 'Rhiannon' on 'The Midnight Special', I think it was 1976. For some reason, the 'under-my-thumb' parents were either out late, or asleep, and I saw that performance and was just blown away, to say the least. My pre-teen self was sure I was seeing into the future. It was my first real glimpse, in performance, at a woman I was certain was going to be a huge, huge star. I just knew at that young age that her music would always matter to me.
I lived for the live 'Rhiannons' that would play on FM radio in the 70s afterwards, and I must not have been the only one, 'cause by '78 (after 'Rumours') it was more common to hear a live 'Rhiannon' on WPLR or WCCC in CT than it was to hear the studio version. This was years before the official Fleetwood Mac Live lp was released with a good, but nowhere as near magical live, later 'Rhiannon'.
There was the simple moon/tree backdrop televised; Stevie's vocals so raw and wild, and her visual impact- I was hooked immediately. Mostly, it was the intensity of her performance and the voice. I thought Lindsey was fantastic on guitar and vocals, too.
I like Stevie's current voice fine, but I surely do miss the intensity that Stevie had on stage from the '70s til... oh, about 1986...right after Betty Ford, it left her. She still sings well, but her performances just have never been the same. She seemed so 'into' her time on stage for that decade, like she was in her own world and loving it and living for it as much as we did.
It may not even have to do with any drugs during that time period. Maybe it was inevitable for it to become less of a thrill to perform, and more of a job.
I think the early years when she knows that she is becoming a big deal,and she was hungry for it, with her singing so wild and fearless are just beautiful moments to revisit.
Time doesn't stand still, and I still like her onstage. But back then, oh my!
I wonder if it's possible if she may become 'hungry for it' again--I hope so!
Old 05-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I wonder if it's possible if she may become 'hungry for it' again--I hope so!
Excellent post!

But no way, on your last comment. It's a job to her now.