Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-10-2003, 08:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: LINDSEY!

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
THE MAN himself...got me hooked!!

AMEN to that!

Your experience was pretty much the same for me when I went "whole hog" for FM in the late 1980s. What a man! The "Big Love" video (while quite cheesy by today's standards) just reeled me in. Too gorgeous!

I worked in a record store during the "Tango" period and I was teased mercilessly for liking FM (and especially Lindsey). I didn't care. In fact, I was so proud of my Lindsey obsession I would stratigically position the cover of the "Little Lies" 45 where I could see him while I checked out customers! (Hey, it worked -- made the day go faster!)

And you're speaking of "Holiday Road"....I remember when that movie came out (eek! 1983) I was 13 and we're sitting in the theatre and the projector broke. Since we had some "down time," I left the theatre, went to the nearby record store and bought the LP (yes, vinyl!!!) of the soundtrack because I had to have that cool song. So here I was -- getting my first taste of Lindsey Buckingham, but the lightbulb doesn't go on for another 5 years!

Then again, growing up...I was "aware" of who Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks were, and I knew songs like "Dreams" and "Gypsy," "Hold Me" and "Stand Back." But I guess I wasn't ready yet to catch Mac Fever!
Old 06-10-2003, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My Pops eversince I was born into this world.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Senior Ledgie

I can't believe I'm gonna tell you guys this, but I used to carry around the White Album and Rumours 8 track tapes all over with me as a 6 year old. (Think surrogate teddy bear!) I was absolutely obsessed even then, LOL! Nobody in my family had any idea where this came from! I even had my own bright yellow "helmut" 8 track/radio player to play said tapes. (gosh, I'm really dating myself here, LOL!). Along with my tapes, was a dog-earred first edition novel of "Jaws" that was equally as loved.

I also tried to dress up as Stevie (again as a 6 year old!) and got into the packed-away winter stuff in the closet and tied every wooly scarf around me. My mother saw me and promptly took a picture, which I still have! I walked around like that all day, in the 80+degree heat in the summer, singing "Dreams" at the top of my lungs.

Things pretty much trailed off after that, But, when MTV first came on the scene, there was a lot of Mac stuff on there, and I became hooked all over again. As unreal as this seems, I didn't put 2-and-2 together that this was the same band I obsessed over as a young child. It was only when I was a "new" fan and mentioned something to one of my older sisters that she told me! And, then gave me the old 8 tracks I had so lovingly carried around as a kid! I actually still have these tapes!

I guess I was just destined to be a fan, right from the start!! I said back then to my 15 year old best friend at about 3AM, after watching the Tusk documentry for the millionith time, that I was gonna meet every single one of them before I turned 30! I did just that, except for the ever-elusive Lindsey! I do, however, still have my "Lindsey" charm bracelet that I got for my 14th birthday, LOL, so until I can get my hands on him, that will just have to do for now!!

Thanks for indulging my trip down memory lane!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:16 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by go6car
I was gonna meet every single one of them before I turned 30! I did just that, except for the ever-elusive Lindsey!
How did you meet the band? Please...share the story!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Gosh, it's actually several stories. This Christine one is in the Christine songs thread. I got to talk to her while she was sitting in her limo (complete with my parents and dog). What a trip!

I was lucky enough to have band comp seats (side of the stage)and backstage passes for the Behind the Mask tour at the Meadowlands in NJ and the Spectrum in PHilly. That's where I got to schmooze with Mick, John, Billy & Rick. (The girls don't "go" backstage, which is basically a room with catered food). Great pictures from that night, though! The funniest one is with John. Someone said "don't fake it" referring to him smiling in the picture. He said, "What? Imagine me naked?" We both cracked up and the picture looks really strange!

I was in a right-time-right-place in August of 91 at the Taj in AC, NJ. That's where I met Stevie and the rest of the band that toured with her then. Les Dudek (guitar) was a trip. He played for the Allman Bros and lived with Cher. It was his birthday that night, and he had some really funny stories to tell! Most of which I can't repeat, since they are pretty raunchy! Stevie's brother was there, too. I acutally talked to her for over an hour. She grabbed a bar napkin and wrote me a really nice note on it. Then, proceeded to yell my name from across the bar for me to come get it! (Had to do SEVERAL am-I-dreaming reality checks that night). I just tried to play it cool (OMG) and not seem like I was a totally rabid fan on the verge of passing out from excitement. It was about 4AM when her security people were ushering her back upstairs. She stopped, the whole group followed her and she came over to me and hugged me goodbye and said she'd never forget me. I had held it together up until that point, when I started to bawl like a baby, LOL! That night truly was magic. ANd, for the record, all she had was a shot of sambuka (spelling?) that she sipped the whole time. I had, like, 20 million diet cokes. The bartender asked if I wanted something stronger, but I was pumped enough just being in the company of all these people! They were amazed that I actually knew all of them, even the makeup people, stagehands, etc. All that album cover studying paid off, LOL!

I almost met Lindsey when I was 19, with the same crew that had given me the comps for the Mask tour (family business friend that was the hookup). As fate would have it, he had "other plans" and decided not to meet the group for a drink. UGGGGGG!!!! So, I'll have to keep working on that one! (BIG sigh.)

Thanks for asking about my Mac history!
Old 06-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always been more an album person than a singles listener. In the early 70's when I was in Jr. high and high school, radio was kinda lame after the Beatles broke up. A lot of novelty songs and AM one hit wonders dominated the radio play in this town. One FM station played British blues style rock and early British hard rock, ala the early Mac, Moody Blues, Cream, Yardbirds turned Zepplin, Saabath, ect. and I really got into that kind of music. I liked Fleetwood Mac first with Peter Green and again when Christine was the main songwriter along with Bob Welch. When they relocated to the states I was like...hey, cool! I was in high school then and was a bit of a music snob because of my older brother. When the radio mentioned something about a re-formed (again) Fleetwood Mac and the new members Lindsey and Stevie...I was asking my brother, "who the hell is this dude Stevie and who's his chick Lindsey? Ever heard of them? Where's Bob?

I decided I didn't want anything to do with this newest Mac because the people influencing my taste at the time were denouncing them as a chick band doing pop, instead of the old Mac which was blues oriented. Not until Rhiannon was getting serious airplay a few months later, and the DJ mentioned Stevie's family lived here and that SHE (not he) was born here, did I take a second listen. Rhiannon was unlike any other pop/rock on the radio at that time. Soon after disco became the rage, FM's Rumours came out and was like the anti-disco to me, and being an album person, I thought Rumours was the best concept album since Sgt. Pepper! I was totally hooked for good when I saw that Stevie dude...oops, my bad...I mean Lindsey, on the Rumours back cover. Ttssssssst...hot...hot...hot! They've been my #1 band ever since until Mick and his greedy fan club **** got me riled up and remembering some of Mick's other schemes in the past...but that's another story. As for this one, different members from Peter Green and Mick, to Chris and Bob, then finally my homegirl, Stevie and her hot dude Lindsey hooked me in different ways at different times. Everyone except John who I overlooked for years until LB left and I realized John was the real glue that held it all together. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by glitter_fades; 06-10-2003 at 10:32 PM..
Old 06-11-2003, 01:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was really into N'Sync and Brittney Spears until last year, when I thought they were getting too commercial with the Pepsi ads and all. I was searching for music that could inspire me the way theirs had, music with real teeth and grit. One night I was home watching American Idol when a contestant named Nikki sang this song called Edge of Seventeen. I didn't think the song was that good, but Nikki carried it well so I decided to check it out. That's how I first heard of Stevie, but when I found out she was a witch, I decided to buy only the Fleetwood Mac stuff. That's how I became a devoted fan.

- Jake

Okay, NONE of the above is true.
I've NEVER owned the teeny-bopper music.
I remember seeing a picture of FM in the kids' magazine Dynamite. (Any other Gen-X-ers remember that?)
I didn't pay too much attention, as I assumed from the name that Fleetwood MAC was country, and country was not cool in the Philly suburb I lived in.
Forward to 1983, flipping through channels on the old cable box (the kind with the cord that reached across the room). I see this captivating blond in a black dress, and I stay on the channel to see the credit at the end of the video for Stand Back. Stevie Nicks? hmmm...
That happened a few times for the next year. I'd get lost in those brown eyes, and I'd never change the channel until the end of the video.
But I never went out and bought the album.
That same year in my Jr. High Art Appreciation class, a classmate designed a large mural of The Wild Heart cover. I paid little attention, not seeing the connection.
By the time of Rock a Little, I was very aware of Stevie's voice, and my best friend had told me she was in Fleetwood Mac, but I still thought of her more as a solo singer. The Philly stations did much to promote the album and always referred to her as "Lady Lace".
1987. Summer before college, I buy Tango. By the time I saw the Seven Wonders video, I was hooked on the band and especially the blond. My first college roommate bought me Rumours for the holidays; I bought him the first Very Special Christmas album, since I wanted to hear the Stevie song, but I'm Jewish, and didn't really want a whole Christmas album of my own.
By the end of that first year of college, we were driving each other crazy as only roommates can. He would listen to the same Springsteen song every night before going to bed, and I got in the habit of playing Gate and Garden because I knew he couldn't get the chorus out of his head during exams. Stevie as a weapon!1987 was definitely when I became known as an FM nut.

Two years later I was in a college in Wisconsin and got to see Stevie for TOSOTM, the following year for BTM.

To sum up, I guess it was MTV that got me hooked, back in the days when I still had cable and they still played videos.
I have to say that those first experiences of seeing Stevie on the small screen brought me into her TimeSpace every time. I lost all sense of time, problems, everything but those eyes and that voice (and that body was pretty good, as well).

- Jake
Old 06-11-2003, 02:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Lindsey Adams BucKINGham!!!

I adored this sophisticated, handsome Guitar
Genius from the minute I clamped my eyes on him!
Old 06-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie hooked me first. A friend of mine lent me Bella Donna when in 1984 when I was 14 and that was it! Hooked! I first saw Stevie on the OSOTM tour and the only time I have seen FM was on the Behind the Mask tour.

Pip
Old 06-11-2003, 05:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

There were many initial things. I would probably have to say that the main thing was when my older brother brought home the Rumors record when it came out in 1977ish and I saw how hot SN was compared to how "weird" the rest of the band looked to my 10 year old eyes at that time I was trying to escape my parental and societal constraints as much as I could in Lafayette, Louisiana and not get killed by the "normal" people Stevie and her hippy trippy music just took me there. She was so out there and yet so blatantly normal to me, even at ten years old. Then, there was that voice that sounded to me like ten voices all in harmony (actually it was usually two or three of her own in harmony and then LB and CM singing lead a la Dreams, but what the hell did I know then!!!! ).

Then, the beginning of the age of "video" really started for me; I have great memories of the live performances on the Midnight Special, Don Kirscher show, and, a little later, Solid Gold (for those that remember, YIPES for those Solid Gold Dancers!!!!) . Stevie always looked so good on those and mostly sang on key

Then, we got a VCR in like 1982 and I got a hold of the Tusk and Bella Donna things, which fueled the fire. She danced her a$$ off in the Bella Donna video (think Gold and Braid!!) and was just otherworldly in the Tusk one (if not a little stoned during the SOTM take - think the "would you be my - would you be my - would be my" off of the mic and to the crowd with the vacant stare afterward ).

I finally saw Stevie live for the first time on the RAL tour in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. She was a little "thicker" in both waistline and voice on this tour and was really messed up in the concert I saw. She was nonetheless beautiful to me as I was in awe. In fact, she almost fell on top of me as everyone pushed forward and almost knocked me down when I was the first person she touched during the EO17 walk through with the audience. I was screaming at her and the security "I am going to fall, let go of me Stevie!" She did not - which I thought was very cool! Also and as an aside, her pearl and diamond ring was slipping off of her lace half fingered glove (hey - it was the 80's ) but she closed her hand to prevent it from coming off. I later read with a smile that she had lost rings in concerts over the years, but they usually found their way back to her.

I saw FM for the first time on the TITN tour in New Orleans, Louisiana. Sadly, no LB, but RV and BB were great, as were the five or so additional members!!!! I saw LB for the first time live for The Dance tour. What a great performer on that/those guitars!!!!!!! I can say that there was a definite, different, and better if not tenser (sp?) feeling when LB and SN were on stage as opposed to the other subsequent players.

It has been a great almost 30 years!!!!!!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 06-11-2003 at 06:59 AM..
Old 06-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool LOL!

Quote:
The funniest one is with John. Someone said "don't fake it" referring to him smiling in the picture. He said, "What? Imagine me naked?" We both cracked up and the picture looks really strange!

Quote:
I was really into N'Sync and Brittney Spears until last year, when I thought they were getting too commercial with the Pepsi ads and all. I was searching for music that could inspire me the way theirs had, music with real teeth and grit. One night I was home watching American Idol when a contestant named Nikki sang this song called Edge of Seventeen. I didn't think the song was that good, but Nikki carried it well so I decided to check it out. That's how I first heard of Stevie, but when I found out she was a witch, I decided to buy only the Fleetwood Mac stuff. That's how I became a devoted fan.
Jake, that was a good one. I was in shock when I read this and then I realized that you were joking. Thank God!

Isabel
And all those races that are run
They cause patterns"
Old 06-11-2003, 09:12 AM
Senior Ledgie

Same answer to both questions!

Saw Fleetwood Mac in 1979 (?) at the Spectrum in Philly. I think Kenny Loggins opened for them. Saw Stevie twirl and I was hooked. Never saw anybody dance like her.

Neglected my music for awhile: kids, two jobs...etc.

Saw The Dance on PBS and I was back...."to the velvet...ooohh"

susieq
Old 06-11-2003, 09:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Re: LINDSEY!

Quote:
Originally posted by Carlene
AMEN to that!

I worked in a record store during the "Tango" period and I was teased mercilessly for liking FM (and especially Lindsey). I didn't care. In fact, I was so proud of my Lindsey obsession I would stratigically position the cover of the "Little Lies" 45 where I could see him while I checked out customers! (Hey, it worked -- made the day go faster!)

LOL! Hey, I saw the vinyl single of Big Love friday night in a record store. You probably already have that, I'm sure! (I think it was a single, it was as big as an LP. ) The store also had his solo album, Belladonna, and lots of FM older stuff.

I didn't buy anything. I don't think I would actually use the vinyl and I don't do the trading thing, but it was cool to see them.

susieq
Old 06-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool For me it was Stevie and a friend

In 1981 I was listening to the radio and I inmediately notice the voice. After the song was finish the DJ said that was "Edge of Seventeen". I asked at school to one of my friends and she said it was Stevie Nicks. Of course, I said to her, that's a guy?! lol

She told me that SN was girl and that she was in a group call Fleetwood Mac also. My friend is/was (I dont know if she still is a fan, I haven't seen her in a long time) a huge FM/SN fan via her older brothers. So she gave me all the FM albums to listen to and I was hooked ever since.

Thank you, Gloria. Wherever you are.

Isabel
And all those races that are run
They cause patterns"

Last edited by saradorna; 06-11-2003 at 10:11 AM..
Old 06-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by FiercestCalmSea
The Dance.Stevie.Rhiannon
Ditto, but actually it was the chemistry between Stevie & Lindsey & the whole band & not just any one song though I loved them all.

Lee