User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
I think the books written by people involved with Fleetwood Mac offer more objective perspectives and more reveaing realities/stories than any of the band members could actually write.
I have to disagree. So far the only "autobiography" by a member of the Rumours line-up was written by Mick and he basically took articles that had been written in various magazines by journalists and turned them into his own "experiences." Come on . . . Because his book was disappointingly vanilla doesn't mean memoirs of the other bandmates woud be similar. However, there is a measure of respect that needs to be considered, and confidences that need to be kept before anyone can tell it like it really was.
Quote:
She lacks a scholarly intellect and would have to rely heavily on a ghostwriter if she intended to publish a book with any integrity. And given Stevie's fuzzy memory and inclination for revising history, the content would be full of carefully crafted preconceptions.
Are you serious?
Quote:
Just like with Carol Ann Harris, some fans are quick to villify Ken if they read something that seems unsavory about the members -- things that reveal them to appear human, with faults, bad behaviors, etc... .
I think at this point the all-too-human flaws of members of the band are well-known and well-documented, so I'm not sure why anyone would take offense if someone wrote a truthful account of an incident. I think the intent of an author, like Carol Ann Harris, is what comes into question.
Quote:
Sure, as anyone would, the authors' would like to see a profit for their efforts. But that doesn't discredit them for telling their stories, from their own personal viewpoint.
The key phrase to this entire post. Personal viewpoints aren't always pure fact.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
The yearning of some fans for Stevie to write a book is somewhat laughable to me - the assumption that she's going to reveal things we don't already know. She lacks a scholarly intellect and would have to rely heavily on a ghostwriter if she wants to publish a book with any literal integrity.
Any biography she'd ever write would certainly be a bizarre artifact, but I think she's just about the least likely person in and around Fleetwood Mac to write one. A biography is a sustained narrative, more or less, and that just isn't what she does (based on all the stuff we've heard her say or seen her write in letters, journal pages, album notes, song lyrics, etc.). When she writes anything, she writes in impressionistic style: heavily reliant on sensations, emotions, moods, and her personal symbolism, microbursts of revelation, facets of light that reflect this or that depending on the angle you look at everything. That's why all her fans always say that they can interpret her songs in dozens of different ways. I doubt she's inclined to maintain a narrative, and I don't think she'd ever stoop to using a ghostwriter (unless he was equally interested in ghosts).

But maybe one day she'll publish her book of "stories," "poems," and "dreams," or whatever that long-neglected project was going to be.

Quote:
Yet, the unique perspectives of people who associated with the band, I believe, are far more accurate in terms of illuminating certain aspects of a band member's character profile.
Best of all would be (or would have been) a skilled biographer--someone with training in research and history writing--who is authorized to write the whole Mac biography, but someone with a lot more tenacity than Sam Graham. I used to think Albert Goldman would have written the ne plus ultra of Fleetwood Mac biographies. I can't imagine who would or could do it these days, unless it be one of those aging critics: David Gans, John Rockwell, Steve Pond, Connie Johnson, Ken Tucker, or the like. Actually, I would love to see a Mac bio written by Ken Tucker.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-07-2012, 10:59 AM

I think her biography might be amazing if she had someone help her focus. Ken is just covering Rumours. Stevie has 1971-present. That's a ton of information, memories, photographs, recollections. etc.

I would love it if Stevie titled her book, "Blame it on my Wild Heart", a biography about the performance career of Stevie Nicks.

I would buy that book in a heartbeat. Because no matter what anyone says about Stevie Nicks, she is a treasure to me. Warts and all...

Having said that Ken's book is absolutely incredible.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Glad to hear that. I'm waiting for the book to show up in my mailbox.

I think the books written by people involved with Fleetwood Mac offer objective perspectives and more revealing realities/stories than any of the band members are capable of or willing to write.

The yearning of some fans for Stevie to write a book is somewhat laughable to me - the assumption that she's going to reveal things we don't already know. She lacks a scholarly intellect and would have to rely heavily on a ghostwriter if she wants to publish a book with any literal integrity. And, given Stevie's fuzzy memory and inclination for revising history, the content would be mannered and stilted. History is certainly somewhat manipulated in any tell-all book or autobiography. Yet, the unique perspectives of people who associated with the band, I believe, are far more accurate in terms of illuminating certain aspects of a band member's character profile.

Just like with Carol Ann Harris, some fans are quick to villify Ken if they read something that seems unsavory about the members -- anything that makes them seem too human, less than perfect, with faults, poor behaviors, bad intentions, etc... The battle cry seems to center around suspicions that the authors' are being deliberately salacious, stretching the truth solely for the purpose of selling more books, books that won't have universal Oprah appeal; it's a limited market, mostly consisting of the band's fanbase. Sure, as anyone would, the authors' would like to see a profit for their efforts. But that doesn't discredit them for telling their stories from their own personal viewpoint, warts and all.
I enjoy reading about FMAC period. Especially getting inside their heads about how they recorded. I am a musician that had spent a lot of time in a dark studio.

Carol's book was awesome because I felt like I got to go on tour with them. Ken's book is fun because I feel like I am privy to how the politics work in the band, and how they actually produce music amongst being constantly f*** up.

Christine's portrayal has been consistant with Mick, Carol and now Ken's book. Classy (yet curses a lot), loud laugher, respectful yet powerful when she wants to be. Added a lot of extra instruments to Rumours. Even played Vibes on Dreams. Love that she wrote Songbird on the spot.

Lindsey same thing in all 3 books. Great musician, genius producer, difficult to work with, unhappy, beats and strangles women, and strangles and verbally abuses Ken. Rubs his hands a lot in excitement. Very much cares about the music.

John is very quiet until he gets drunk. Very much cares about the music and his contributions. Mood swings with the cocktails.

Mick and Stevie are really the focus of this Rumours book. Lindsey is.

Oh and Ken called Stevie "Lindsey" when they first met. That is really funny. I wonder if he said it "LINDSAY" lol

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 04-07-2012 at 02:01 PM..
Old 04-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've tried to respond to Ken's article several times, but for whatever reason, kept baffling me to a point. At first, I got upset about his comments about the band being nasty to each other and their co-workers, but at the end of the day I think he was pretty spot on (minus the jab about taking care of prior employees related to the band, aka Wong).

What gets me the most about this interview is how he says "they could be doing so well." I really think he has a point there. Fleetwood Mac could have a huge career right now if they wanted, they just can't seem to get their sh*t together.

At the time, I thought Say You Will was a solid Fleetwood Mac album. However, as time has passed, I like it less and less. I am a huge supporter of Lindseys production skills, but those songs just didn't bite in the long run. If a future mac album has the strength of Gift of Screws, Seeds We Sow, and In Your Dreams, I'm sure it would blow SYW out of the water.

As much as I love Fleetwood Mac as a band, I think they're time as a unit has been wasted since Say You Will. Stevie and Lindsey's solo projects have sparked emotions in me that early FM albums did for me. I'll be thrilled if they put out a new project, but if another GH tour is in the works, I'll be bummed.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
I've tried to respond to Ken's article several times, but for whatever reason, kept baffling me to a point. At first, I got upset about his comments about the band being nasty to each other and their co-workers, but at the end of the day I think he was pretty spot on (minus the jab about taking care of prior employees related to the band, aka Wong).

What gets me the most about this interview is how he says "they could be doing so well." I really think he has a point there. Fleetwood Mac could have a huge career right now if they wanted, they just can't seem to get their sh*t together.

At the time, I thought Say You Will was a solid Fleetwood Mac album. However, as time has passed, I like it less and less. I am a huge supporter of Lindseys production skills, but those songs just didn't bite in the long run. If a future mac album has the strength of Gift of Screws, Seeds We Sow, and In Your Dreams, I'm sure it would blow SYW out of the water.

As much as I love Fleetwood Mac as a band, I think they're time as a unit has been wasted since Say You Will. Stevie and Lindsey's solo projects have sparked emotions in me that early FM albums did for me. I'll be thrilled if they put out a new project, but if another GH tour is in the works, I'll be bummed.
It does seem like they got a bit big for their britches. I, like you, can't listen to SYW but enjoy GOS. I think Christine should have stayed for one more album and tour. Dance was a reunion. But after all is said and done, if they could be in the studio and do an album (not at LB's house) it might be a nice career for them.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the big problem for people like Ken is that they don't see the band as being rock stars. They see them as just regular people with whom they have a working relationship. From personal experience, it IS different on the inside.

Remember guys like Ray Lindsey and Richard Dashut knew Stevie and Lindsey back when nobody knew them, when Stevie was waiting tables at Big Boy. Hell, Ray Lindsey drove Stevie to the Mexican restaurant for that first meeting! Judy Wong was at that meeting. Is it fair to expect them to be all that impressed by the band's fame, to look at the band like they're rock icons? And, I agree, the band could do a better job in the loyalty department. These weren’t just fly-by-night people leeching onto the band. They were critical pieces of the machine.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think the big problem for people like Ken is that they don't see the band as being rock stars. They see them as just regular people with whom they have a working relationship. From personal experience, it IS different on the inside.

Remember guys like Ray Lindsey and Richard Dashut knew Stevie and Lindsey back when nobody knew them, when Stevie was waiting tables at Big Boy. Hell, Ray Lindsey drove Stevie to the Mexican restaurant for that first meeting! Judy Wong was at that meeting. Is it fair to expect them to be all that impressed by the band's fame, to look at the band like they're rock icons? And, I agree, the band could do a better job in the loyalty department. These weren’t just fly-by-night people leeching onto the band. They were critical pieces of the machine.
Very critical! And people like Richard, Ray, Ken and Judy are really beautiful people. They cared very much about these "rock stars".
Old 04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Christine's portrayal has been consistant with Mick, Carol and now Ken's book. Classy (yet curses a lot), loud laugher, respectful yet powerful when she wants to be. Added a lot of extra instruments to Rumours. Even played Vibes on Dreams. Love that she wrote Songbird on the spot.
Didn't she make some amusingly nasty comment about Sharon and Mindy during the years they used to sing backups for Fleetwood Mac sets? It was something like "I want them to stand where I won't see them."

Christine is a treasure.

Quote:
Lindsey same thing in all 3 books. Great musician, genius producer, difficult to work with, unhappy, beats and strangles women, and strangles and verbally abuses Ken.
I wonder whether he ever strangled any of the other artists he did session work for, from Walter Egan to the Dream Academy to ???

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Didn't she make some amusingly nasty comment about Sharon and Mindy during the years they used to sing backups for Fleetwood Mac sets? It was something like "I want them to stand where I won't see them."

Christine is a treasure.

I wonder whether he ever strangled any of the other artists he did session work for, from Walter Egan to the Dream Academy to ???
Kim Carnes, Bonnie Rait, Eric Clapton...
Old 04-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Kim Carnes, Bonnie Rait, Eric Clapton...

John Stewart had commented that Lindsey was brilliant, yes, but verrry difficult to work with...

Maybe that reputation got out and that's why he suddenly just seemed to not be producing anyone outside of FMac after just a few years in the band.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
John Stewart had commented that Lindsey was brilliant, yes, but verrry difficult to work with...

Maybe that reputation got out and that's why he suddenly just seemed to not be producing anyone outside of FMac after just a few years in the band.
You might be right.. never thought of that..
Old 04-09-2012, 02:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bonnie Raitt
I love Bonnie Raitt and had no idea Lindsey did session work for her. What album is this on? I have to go and play it! I know of Bonnie's work with Christine on No Way To Treat A Lady but no other Fleetwood Mac connection.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Really? I hadn't heard that. In fact, from everything I'd read Stewart kind of gave the impression that Lindsey was rather casual and laid back as a producer, even if FM had an entirely different perspective, just turning those knobs 'til they sounded like he wanted.

I do remember Egan saying that it was difficult working with both Stevie and Lindsey as his producers and that they had to be in the studio separately for it to work.

Michele
Old 04-09-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
I love Bonnie Raitt and had no idea Lindsey did session work for her. What album is this on? I have to go and play it! I know of Bonnie's work with Christine on No Way To Treat A Lady but no other Fleetwood Mac connection.
I thought both Christine and Lindsey worked with her. It's been so long I can't recall.