Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2004, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default McVIE WITHOUT THE MAC (billboard mag sales #'s)

McVIE WITHOUT THE MAC

Hi Keith

I was wondering what the sales have been for Christine McVie's new album "In the Meantime." I'm a long time Fleetwood Mac fan and was saddened that she was not part of the Mac's "Say You Will" CD and tour. I bought "In the Meantime" and think it's brilliant and shows a more "rocker" side to Ms. McVie, while still showing her light-pop that she has been providing to her fans for almost 40 years.

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

I too missed Christine McVie on the most recent Fleetwood Mac album, "Say You Will."

Her new album, "In The Meantime," has sold just over 6,000 units in its first two weeks of release. The set was issued through Koch Records. It debuted at No. 32 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart in the Sept. 25 issue.

www.billboard.com
Old 10-06-2004, 01:03 AM
Ledgie

6000 copies in the first two weeks? Egads! And I can't even say I'm one of those since I got mine from amazon uk.
Old 10-06-2004, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR
6000 copies in the first two weeks? Egads! And I can't even say I'm one of those since I got mine from amazon uk.
oh, is that really bad? Maybe i'll buy it to help CM...I guess that is bad. I was like, "wow, 6000 people bought that? That's a lot!"

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-06-2004, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
oh, is that really bad?
Well it's not great... but it's an indie release which doesn't get much promo like a major label release. And she's not very hi profile like some people.

6,000 copies in two weeks is low. For comparison sake, Tim McGraw (not that he's in the same category, but just to compare sales.... His album a couple of weeks ago sold something like 700,000 in ONE week.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber
oh, is that really bad? Maybe i'll buy it to help CM...I guess that is bad. I was like, "wow, 6000 people bought that? That's a lot!"

very low...lol Say You Will sold around 235,000 the first week of release..big difference..although like I have said before Christine didnt expect it to be a commercial hit, just something for us to enjoy

Chris
Old 10-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Ledgie

Whoopee, big difference. Bigger sales doesn't mean better product either. I'd take Christine's album over that Mac cd any day of the week.

Sorry, I'm so sick of hearing about that cd.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFR
Whoopee, big difference. Bigger sales doesn't mean better product either. I'd take Christine's album over that Mac cd any day of the week.

Sorry, I'm so sick of hearing about that cd.
Amen. ITM kicks SYW's ass. I've always had to force myself to listen to SYW. I LOVE ITM.
IMO, and JMO(so keep your rants to yourself), but I think Fleetwood Mac sucks without Christine.
My cousin, who is only a mild FM fan, was over a few weeks ago, and was watching LIB(the first few songs). We needed to leave for dinner, and I said, "C'mon, were gonna be late". He said, "I'm just waiting to see a Christine song".
I broke the news to him, and he said, "never mind then". He, too, had very little interest in a FM without Chris.
I thought that quote was soooo funny:
"I'm just waiting to see a Christine song"
Me too.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

You're right I never said sales has anything to do with quality--someone asked if the 6000 figure was really low? And yes it was...very very very low...thats ok though, I enjoy the album, I think there are about 6 great songs on it..the rest sounds like filler to me, but that's just my opinion..

Like I said she didnt have any high aspirations for this to be a commercial success...I bought it..you all bought it..who cares?

But the fact is, the 6000 figure is incredibly low..especially considering all the people who said if Christine was with the Mac their sales would have been MUCH higher..I don't think it would have mattered much...I don't think "Say You Will" suffers any without Christine--and I dont think "In the Meantime" suffers a whole lot without the Mac, quality wise..

I think SYW is one of their best albums ever, just my opinion..dont have to agree with it...I think there are some excellent songs on ITM...but not enough to make it a SUPERB album

Chris
Old 10-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree Chris. I also think that LB, SN, and CM together in FM produce superior work than they do on their solo stuff. AND - while I think the same for just LB and SN together, I think SYW would have benefited from CM because the five just have more magic IMO - I mean just look at The Dance. But, that is just my opinion AND I like CM's new disc

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 10-07-2004, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind
I also think that LB, SN, and CM together in FM produce superior work than they do on their solo stuff.
I'd have to disagree with regard to Stevie's solo material. I would put many of her solo songs up against Fleetwood Mac stuff and call it at least a draw.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller
I'd have to disagree with regard to Stevie's solo material. I would put many of her solo songs up against Fleetwood Mac stuff and call it at least a draw.
Don't get me wrong - I LOVE La Nicks' solo stuff and the LB's and CM's as well. I just think that when the five get together - WATCH OUT This, of course, is my opinion - no one else need share in it

Old 10-07-2004, 03:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Amen. ITM kicks SYW's ass. I've always had to force myself to listen to SYW. I LOVE ITM.
IMO, and JMO(so keep your rants to yourself), but I think Fleetwood Mac sucks without Christine.
My cousin, who is only a mild FM fan, was over a few weeks ago, and was watching LIB(the first few songs). We needed to leave for dinner, and I said, "C'mon, were gonna be late". He said, "I'm just waiting to see a Christine song".
I broke the news to him, and he said, "never mind then". He, too, had very little interest in a FM without Chris.
I thought that quote was soooo funny:
"I'm just waiting to see a Christine song"
Me too.
I agree. In my opinion, SYW is a cold, clinical album while ITM is a warm, intimate album. I've played ITM over & over endlessly. Thank God CDs are durable. I think I last played SYW sometime last year. I don't even have the original CD anymore.

Homer, you should have put the Dance on when your cousin was at your house. There are lots of Christine songs on the Dance.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShangriLaTroubl

But the fact is, the 6000 figure is incredibly low..especially considering all the people who said if Christine was with the Mac their sales would have been MUCH higher..I don't think it would have mattered much...I don't think "Say You Will" suffers any without Christine--and I dont think "In the Meantime" suffers a whole lot without the Mac, quality wise..

Chris
I think if SYW would have had the complete Rumours line-up, the sales for SYW would have been better, maybe not alot but probably enough to push it over a million. I would compare SYW to Behind The Mask. BTM would have sold better with Lindsey involved, probably more than the 50,000 that Out Of The Cradle sold. BTM & SYW have sold just about the same & BTM had very little promotion. History has shown that the complete Rumours line-up sells the best.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
My cousin, who is only a mild FM fan, was over a few weeks ago, and was watchinAmen. ITM kicks SYW's ass. I've always had to force myself to listen to SYW. I LOVE ITM.
Waaaaiiit - you ranted about this, but we're supposed to keep our rants to ourselves? I love SYW. I guess it's a difference of people who like mellow, smooth, non rockin stuff, and people who like stuff that rocks, like SYW does

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -
Old 10-07-2004, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I agree. In my opinion, SYW is a cold, clinical album while ITM is a warm, intimate album.
I know - Christine just writes those warm chestnuts and her voice amplifies that emotion. I love her for it!!!!!!