Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-20-2018, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default “Stevie is running the show,” tour keyboardist says in interview

http://www.startribune.com/twin-citi...c/497968671/#1
Twin Cities keyboardist 'having a ball' touring with Fleetwood Mac
Ricky Peterson joins Fleetwood Mac in St. Paul on Monday.
By Jon Bream Star Tribune OCTOBER 18, 2018 — 5:55PM

He hasn’t ridden on the private jet yet. But Twin Cities keyboardist Ricky Peterson is on quite a ride playing with Fleetwood Mac.

His first gig with the band was for “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” in September. Then came the iHeart Radio Festival. Now there’s the 50-city tour, arriving Monday in St. Paul.

“This is wonderful, man,” he said recently from his room at Chicago’s posh Ritz-Carlton hotel overlooking Lake Michigan. “The band has never sounded better. I’m having a ball.”

Peterson is just three weeks into the six-month tour where he plays behind Stevie Nicks, complements keyboardist Christine McVie and marvels at Mike Campbell’s guitar playing.

First, an explanation of how Peterson got the gig. He’s played keys for Nicks’ solo tours since 2007. He also happened to know drummer Mick Fleetwood from vacations in Hawaii, where the veteran British rocker lives and operates a blues bar. Peterson got the call when Fleetwood Mac’s longtime sideman keyboardist left the band and started touring with guitarist Lindsey Buckingham.

“I didn’t have to audition for this gig,” said Peterson proudly. “They invited me to come and hang. I love it. I sort of grew up on this music.”

Fleetwood Mac

When: 8 p.m. Mon.

Where: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul.

Tickets: $69.50 and up; ticketmaster.com.

He’d jammed before with Fleetwood at the drummer’s blues club in Maui. Plus, he had Nicks’ endorsement.

Peterson was essential enough that when Fleetwood and ex-Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers member Campbell auditioned singers in Hawaii, Peterson was involved. He won’t name names as to who tried out, but Neil Finn of Crowded House got the gig. That makes Finn and Campbell official members of Fleetwood Mac, while Peterson is a handsomely paid hired hand.

Two months of rehearsals

The keyboardist’s next assignment was to learn 38 songs before convening for rehearsal in Los Angeles on Aug. 1. The group practiced five days a week for about four or five hours daily until Sept. 28.

“I didn’t think it would take that long to get it all down, but it actually does, because there’s so much involved,” Peterson observed. “It’s a lot of music, and [learning] the beginnings and endings of songs.”

Who’s in charge? Buckingham used to be. He sued Fleetwood Mac two weeks ago over his dismissal. The band disputes his claims.

“Stevie is running the show,” Peterson said. “But they discuss it. No one is yelling at each other. It’s very, very diplomatic. And the principals are involved. Ultimately, I think Stevie and Mick are the final decisionmakers.”

Personnel drama from the start

There was a Fleetwood Mac long before Buckingham and Nicks came on the scene. The blues-rock band was founded in England in 1967. Personnel changes were a hallmark of the band until the lineup stabilized, and the music soared with the addition in 1975 of Buckingham and Nicks, who were a couple then.

The album “Fleetwood Mac” became a blockbuster, followed in ’77 by the even bigger “Rumours.” One of the bestselling albums of all time, it discussed the various romantic soap operas in the band. Hit albums, including 1979’s “Tusk” and 1982’s “Mirage,” and sold-out tours kept coming. So did bumps in the road.

Nicks and Buckingham launched solo careers and took brief leaves from the band at different times in the ’80s and ’90s. McVie, the third singer, retired in 1998 but returned to the fold four years ago.

With Fleetwood Mac planning to play only three shows a week on this tour, Buckingham wanted to be able to squeeze in solo concerts between Mac dates. The band not only said “no” but decided to proceed without him. The soap opera continues.

Peterson has no access to those feuds and lawyerly negotiations.

“I didn’t hear any heavy feedback from the principals, but nobody’s really talking about it,” he said. “Everybody’s happy and it sounds like it. Everybody’s having a good time onstage.”

Oldies plus a Petty hit

Peterson was there when the band whittled the set list down to 26 tunes for the tour. “That’s why it took two months,” he said.

There is a Tom Petty classic as well as hits Finn sang with Crowded House and Split Enz plus Fleetwood Mac oldies, including “Oh Well,” that predate Buckingham and Nicks.

Peterson gets solos during “Black Magic Woman,” one of the band’s oldies, and “Rhiannon,” one of Nicks’ biggest songs with Fleetwood Mac. And he does background vocals.

Keyboard parts are carefully worked out so Peterson doesn’t overshadow McVie.

“She’s the main keyboard player,” he said. “This is a sideman job. She’s very accommodating. She’s such a sweetheart. This is not a play-a-lot-of-notes gig. This is more of a listening-and-feel gig to figure out where everybody is going with the music. My job is to make them sound as good as they can.”

Peterson has no complaints about traveling by bus while the principals of Fleetwood Mac — and their assistants, spouses/significant others and dogs — journey by jet. Actually two jets. The keyboardist does get to roll in one of the many limousines used to transport the band to and from the hotel and arena.

Peterson, 60, knows the bus routine from his days playing with Bonnie Raitt, John Mayer and Nicks. He’s also toured for three decades with jazz saxophonist David Sanborn as well as recording with a host of stars, including Prince, George Benson, Mavis Staples, Steve Miller, Ben Sidran, Al Jarreau and Les McCann. Peterson has released four solo albums in the United States, with a new one issued in Germany this year.

But playing with Fleetwood Mac is “just a fun hang. There is no animosity. No attitudes. Everybody has their happy-camper vibe on. It’s just a great rock band.”

To avoid taxing Nicks’ voice, Fleetwood Mac never plays two nights in a row. Thus, Peterson gets plenty of free time. He’ll visit tourist sights and hit the gym. Then he mentioned the steak dinners he’s had with other sidemen in the band.

Peterson may not be a rock star, but he’s living in a rock star world, private jet notwithstanding.
Old 10-20-2018, 04:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, she is running the show. So what!

Somebody has to do it :-)

Nice article though.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Ouch!
So its not Christine playing the solo during Black Magic Woman. Although she does a good job pretending its her. I miss her playing

Of course Stevie is in charge. Her rules when to tour. Her rules who's in the band. Her rules what songs to play. Her rules on the Petty tribute.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 10-20-2018 at 06:59 AM..
Old 10-20-2018, 05:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, let's look at this logically: John doesn't give a crap about what they play, he probably has even less interest than the new guys in what they play. Christine also seems, hmmm, how to say this, perhaps little emotionally invested in the set list as well. This is obvious to me by several comments she's made in the past. Clearly, Neil and Mike put in their requests, and so did Mick, but yeah, I have no doubt that Stevie was the one behind most of this set list or in charge- someone has to be, and it was never going to be John, Christine, Neil, or Mike. My only surprise about this is that anyone is surprised about this LOL!
Old 10-20-2018, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Well, let's look at this logically: John doesn't give a crap about what they play, he probably has even less interest than the new guys in what they play. Christine also seems, hmmm, how to say this, perhaps little emotionally invested in the set list as well. This is obvious to me by several comments she's made in the past. Clearly, Neil and Mike put in their requests, and so did Mick, but yeah, I have no doubt that Stevie was the one behind most of this set list or in charge- someone has to be, and it was never going to be John, Christine, Neil, or Mike. My only surprise about this is that anyone is surprised about this LOL!
Do YOU understand that Fleetwood Mac used to be a BAND? With THREE songwriters all pretty much equally contributing?????? And that it's now no longer a band?

And that your beloved queen ended that for us???? That it's now the $tevie Nick$ show? Can't you see that?

The old goat should have just left, and stayed solo. But old Dick needs her, for a bigger paycheck for his loser ass.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default The Man Who Said Too Much

Ricky Peterson answers the door to his hotel room on the day after this article drops. Karen is standing there, flanked by two hired goons from.
"Oh, hi Karen."
"Hi Ricky. We need to talk."
The smile fades from Ricky's face.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree that it makes perfect sense that Stevie took charge here. When Mick is in charge, he has enough leadership ability to scout someone to be the next leader. Lindsey has long been the leader and I’m also not surprised that Stevie is the new leader.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Do YOU understand that Fleetwood Mac used to be a BAND? With THREE songwriters all pretty much equally contributing?????? And that it's now no longer a band?

And that your beloved queen ended that for us???? That it's now the $tevie Nick$ show? Can't you see that?

The old goat should have just left, and stayed solo. But old Dick needs her, for a bigger paycheck for his loser ass.

I can certainly see it. Most of us do. And have the right to speak out about it as long as we want to. It is OUR band, that was hijacked by a short sighted, selfish egotist.

So my positive would be that Lindsey will likely be happier and more fulfilled in his solo career now.

Majority rules! Hah! Stevie rules. This article is just more proof of that and makes it even more credible that it was she alone getting Lindsey fired.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:27 AM
Registered

Wonderful. The band has chosen the least musically qualified person to rule the band. No wonder she hated Lindsey enough to kick him out--of course he would not have allowed her to get her way. What other band in its right mind would allow a person whose musical knowledge extends to plonk plonk plonk on a piano to become its musical director? With Mike fortuitously becoming available she saw her chance and took it.

This is not a band I want to see or whose music I want to listen to. Thank goodness for Lindsey's Solo Anthology.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Wonderful. The band has chosen the least musically qualified person to rule the band. No wonder she hated Lindsey enough to kick him out--of course he would not have allowed her to get her way. What other band in its right mind would allow a person whose musical knowledge extends to plonk plonk plonk on a piano to become its musical director? With Mike fortuitously becoming available she saw her chance and took it.

This is not a band I want to see or whose music I want to listen to. Thank goodness for Lindsey's Solo Anthology.
I don't think the interview said Stevie was the musical director.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder what songs didn't make the setlist?
Old 10-20-2018, 03:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
Wonderful. The band has chosen the least musically qualified person to rule the band.
You mean the one who’s sold 30 million albums as a solo artist and is about to be the first woman to be inducted into the Hall of Fame for the second time? While I’m not a huge Stevie fan, she clearly knows what she’s doing.

Quote:
What other band in its right mind would allow a person whose musical knowledge extends to plonk plonk plonk on a piano to become its musical director?
Running the show isn’t the same as being musical director. I doubt they have anyone acting as a designated musical director.

Quote:
With Mike fortuitously becoming available she saw her chance and took it.
I’m positive Stevie wishes Mike hadn’t become available.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-20-2018, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
You mean the one who’s sold 30 million albums as a solo artist and is about to be the first woman to be inducted into the Hall of Fame for the second time? While I’m not a huge Stevie fan, she clearly knows what she’s doing.

30 million albums to be generous I'd give her half that amount for North America but she has never had Fleetwood Mac's international appeal .Except for Australia and New Zealand(not exactly the most populous areas) she has not had sustained mainstream popularity anywhere else as solo artist . Last I knew she has not been inducted yet.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorcererJP View Post
Yes, she is running the show. So what!

Somebody has to do it :-)

Nice article though.

It proves everything. She can dictate how many nights a week they play but when Lindsey wants to delay the tour two months he gets fired. See? She fired him to get her buddy mike in the band. He can’t sing so they needed Neil. She’s a total freaking jerk and the whole thing makes me sick. She makes me sick.

Last edited by secondhandchain; 10-20-2018 at 10:13 AM..
Old 10-23-2018, 05:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

“Stevie is running the show,” Peterson said.

And long overdue. Sorry!