The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default What would it take to start a Fleetwood Mac Torrent hosting board?

I would love it if we could get a torrent hosting board.... Although i dont know how to host a Torrent file... Only download... I can learn though... I think It would have to be a group effort because hosting aroung 4 or 5 1GB boots a week could get expensive... Does anyone know where you can get a tracker?
It would be cool if we could do something like this.. (Van Halen torrent site)
http://jamtothis.com/ or we could have something like sharing the groove used to be.
Anyone have any comments... suggestions?
Its only a dream right now but with an effort it could be more than that.
Old 01-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up I would be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Rumours77
I would love it if we could get a torrent hosting board.... Although i dont know how to host a Torrent file... Only download... I can learn though... I think It would have to be a group effort because hosting aroung 4 or 5 1GB boots a week could get expensive... Does anyone know where you can get a tracker?

It would be cool if we could do something like this.. (Van Halen torrent site)
http://jamtothis.com/ or we could have something like sharing the groove used to be.
Anyone have any comments... suggestions?

Its only a dream right now but with an effort it could be more than that.
all for it, All I need is for someone I can send my recordings to who can add 'em to the torrent site to be shared...

What do the rest of y'all think?

Brian j.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would love to see a Fleetwood mac only torrent site, however a word of caution, bit-torrent seems to be a dirty word at the moment in the eyes of the copyright holders, I know easytree and what we would be uploading is not commercially available, but before anyone gets associated with any site that hosts torrents maybe they should seek the official line from FM managament.

Now of course I know that this is not likely to be forecoming, but it would worth a shot.

Speaking of FM torrents I have just complied a Tango from the Vaults collection as well as a Mirage from the Vaults (complied from the recent comps from the Harding Stash) as a playlist on my iPod and would like to torrent these, but with the "no MP3 source material" attitide over at easytree I cannot verify that every track is not MP3 sourced.

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 01-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodmod
Speaking of FM torrents I have just complied a Tango from the Vaults collection as well as a Mirage from the Vaults (complied from the recent comps from the Harding Stash) as a playlist on my iPod and would like to torrent these, but with the "no MP3 source material" attitide over at easytree I cannot verify that every track is not MP3 sourced.
Neil, you'd have to get hold of the CD-Rs that Devilgal originally sold. She didn't originally compress; she went straight from cassette (or in some cases quarter-inch tape) to audio CD-R (undoubtedly as WAV files).

There are enough of us around who either bought the original CD-Rs or saw the crappy artwork on the originals to make this possible.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-04-2005, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation The story of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
She didn't originally compress; she went straight from cassette (or in some cases quarter-inch tape) to audio CD-R (undoubtedly as WAV files).
my life right there, Straight transfers from tape to disc without any compression...Seems I am always doin' it nowadays.

Quote:
There are enough of us around who either bought the original CD-Rs or saw the crappy artwork on the originals to make this possible.
Sounds like a plan to me

Brian j.

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."
Old 01-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Neil, you'd have to get hold of the CD-Rs that Devilgal originally sold. She didn't originally compress; she went straight from cassette (or in some cases quarter-inch tape) to audio CD-R (undoubtedly as WAV files).

Most of the tracks came from the Misc Demos sets #1 - #8 and the Roughs set, most came from a trade, however I think I collected some as MP3s, I'll try and verify each track and let you know what I am unsure about.

Old 01-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I would love to see this happen. Some of the stuff I have found on easytree from other artists is incredible. It's highly unlikely that without that tracker any of it would have seen the light of day, or at least made it's way to me.
I'd like to torrent more Mac/Stevie stuff over there but like nodmod, am unsure of the source of a lot of the boots I have.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

These are the songs and the linage that I know of, all the CDR trades came to me via actual CD, however where the trader got them I do not know, the others listed as MP3 Trade are defiently MP3 source.

(the description is taken from iTunes as AAC files)

Mirage from the Vaults
15 songs, 1:02:51 total time, 82.9mb

If You Were My Love - Misc Demos #1 (CDR Trade)
Teen Beat - Misc Demos #1 (CDR Trade)
Goodbye Angel - Misc Demos #1 (CDR Trade)
Love In Store - Misc Demos #2 (CDR Trade)
Love In Store #2 - Misc Demos #2 (CDR Trade)
Love In Store #3 - Misc Demos #2 (CDR Trade)
Wish You Were Here 1-29 - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Book Of Love (1-21-82) - Misc Demos #6 (MP3 Trade)
Oh Diane (3-29-82 mix 97) - Misc Demos #6 (MP3 Trade)
Oh Diane (3-29-82 mix 67) - Misc Demos #6 (MP3 Trade)
Oh Diane (demo) - Misc Demos #7 (MP3 Trade)
Gypsy (alt mix) - Misc Demos (MP3 Trade)
Eyes Of The World - Misc Demos #2 (CDR Trade)
Eyes Of The World #1 (12-15) - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Eyes Of The World #2 (12-15) - Roughs (CDR Trade)

Tango from the Vaults
19 songs, 1:15:21 total time, 103.8mb

Joan Of Arc (studio live demo) - Cannot Remember (MP3 Trade)
Little Lies (instru) - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Lindsey's Riff (Little Lies #3) 1-17 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Little Lies (4-24-86) - Misc Demos #7 (MP3 Trade)
Seven Wonders (test) - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Isn't It Midnight (test) - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Isn't It Midnight 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Down Endless Street - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Caroline 12-11-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Everywhere 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Everywhrere 1-17 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Tango In The Night 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Family Man 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
When I See You Again 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Mystified 1-17 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Lindsey Guitar Jingle (Special Kind Of Love) - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Book Of Miracles - Misc Demos #7 (MP3 Trade)
You and I (4-25) - Misc Demos #6 (MP3 Trade)
You and I #2 - Misc Demos #7 (MP3 Trade)

Old 01-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I've made a few friends over at easytree. A lot of great traders and archivists there, but yer right, wow, are they crabby about lineage and source. We have so much mp3 source material in our trade circles that it makes it hard to share what we have on that site. It still seems a waste to start a Fleetwood Mac torrent site when that one works so well. We should make more use of what's there but just torrent the good stuff we can verify.

First, we need to clean up our sources by getting back to the original cd and tape like you've mentioned. Another way I've started to clean up my stuff before trading with the torrent guys is to rip good audio from my video sources. I have some VHS and dvds with better source audio than a lot of audience boots floating around the trade community. I know they don't want mp3 material on the torrents, but just because something is sourced from an original tape doesn't mean it's worth trading either. There are a lot of lousy uncompressed audio boots going around that are not as good as the audios I've ripped from my old video tapes and dvds.

We can put out the best things on easytree and people can download or not as they wish. Not everything there is perfect but alot is much better than what you find floating around FM trade circles. We need to make the effort to put only the best stuff out so everyone will be cool with it. It might take some time to get other traders on board with what we FM fans torrent but that's only because FM boots have a bad reputation. I haven't seen any complaints so far about the FM material uploaded to date. As long as the door is open we should take advantage of what's there and do what we can to bring the FM music up to standard and get it out to more listeners than our own camp. Fans of other bands are still sitting on gems we'd want because they know we'll poison our own well (had to say that ) if they allow us to get good source material and degrade it amongst ourselves.

The point about the industry torrent backlash is important to note. However, if anyone in the band got serious about attacking fans trading home made audience recordings, some of their own camps have some splainin to do about how stuff gets out that wasn't home made by fans.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks Neil...

Quote:
These are the songs and the linage that I know of, all the CDR trades came to me via actual CD, however where the trader got them I do not know, the others listed as MP3 Trade are defiently MP3 source.

(the description is taken from iTunes as AAC files)

Mirage from the Vaults
15 songs, 1:02:51 total time, 82.9mb

If You Were My Love - Misc Demos #1 (CDR Trade)
Teen Beat - Misc Demos #1 (CDR Trade)
Goodbye Angel - Misc Demos #1 (CDR Trade)
Love In Store - Misc Demos #2 (CDR Trade)
Love In Store #2 - Misc Demos #2 (CDR Trade)
Love In Store #3 - Misc Demos #2 (CDR Trade)
Wish You Were Here 1-29 - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Book Of Love (1-21-82) - Misc Demos #6 (MP3 Trade)
Oh Diane (3-29-82 mix 97) - Misc Demos #6 (MP3 Trade)
Oh Diane (3-29-82 mix 67) - Misc Demos #6 (MP3 Trade)
Oh Diane (demo) - Misc Demos #7 (MP3 Trade)
Gypsy (alt mix) - Misc Demos (MP3 Trade)
Eyes Of The World - Misc Demos #2 (CDR Trade)
Eyes Of The World #1 (12-15) - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Eyes Of The World #2 (12-15) - Roughs (CDR Trade)

Tango from the Vaults
19 songs, 1:15:21 total time, 103.8mb

Joan Of Arc (studio live demo) - Cannot Remember (MP3 Trade)
Little Lies (instru) - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Lindsey's Riff (Little Lies #3) 1-17 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Little Lies (4-24-86) - Misc Demos #7 (MP3 Trade)
Seven Wonders (test) - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Isn't It Midnight (test) - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Isn't It Midnight 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Down Endless Street - Misc Demos #3 (CDR Trade)
Caroline 12-11-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Everywhere 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Everywhrere 1-17 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Tango In The Night 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Family Man 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
When I See You Again 10-1-86 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Mystified 1-17 - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Lindsey Guitar Jingle (Special Kind Of Love) - Roughs (CDR Trade)
Book Of Miracles - Misc Demos #7 (MP3 Trade)
You and I (4-25) - Misc Demos #6 (MP3 Trade)
You and I #2 - Misc Demos #7 (MP3 Trade)
I thought I may needed these tracks, But I have the Misc Demos #1-#8 & the Roughs disc.

Brian j.

Old 01-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation I know the feelin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitter_fades
I've made a few friends over at easytree. A lot of great traders and archivists there, but yer right, wow, are they crabby about lineage and source. We have so much mp3 source material in our trade circles that it makes it hard to share what we have on that site.

It still seems a waste to start a Fleetwood Mac torrent site when that one works so well. We should make more use of what's there but just torrent the good stuff we can verify.
since I had to bust ass to get a few shows from non-FM collectors who were afraid that their shows would be altered from the original source (The Rosemont, IL 2003 show comes to mind as does the May 27,2003 Worcester show.)

I feel if we can get our collected **** together we can go ahead and use easytree

Quote:
First, we need to clean up our sources by getting back to the original cd and tape like you've mentioned. Another way I've started to clean up my stuff before trading with the torrent guys is to rip good audio from my video sources. I have some VHS and dvds with better source audio than a lot of audience boots floating around the trade community.
I have LONG been trasnferring from VHS/DVD to CDR without any problems whatsoever (I have most of the 2004 California SYW shows on their way and those will get the same treament), Just to upgrade the sound quality and have a recording that is as close to perfect as the master recording...And I do it without a editing program or compression, I manually add the fades in/fades out, etc. Which is one advantage of a self-contained CD burner...I go from a Panasonic DMR E-55 DVD burner into either my ol' reliable TDK DA-3826 burner or my newer JVC XL-R2010 burner straight onto a CDR.

Quote:
We need to make the effort to put only the best stuff out so everyone will be cool with it. It might take some time to get other traders on board with what we FM fans torrent but that's only because FM boots have a bad reputation. I haven't seen any complaints so far about the FM material uploaded to date. As long as the door is open we should take advantage of what's there and do what we can to bring the FM music up to standard and get it out to more listeners than our own camp.
I take advantage of trading for upgrades at any chance I get, That's why I have multiple versions of some shows, I keep upgrading until I find one that fits with what I think would be considered a quality recording that can be traded about...Then if that show gets traded around no one is stuck with the lame assed/crap filled sandwich version of the recording.

Quote:
Fans of other bands are still sitting on gems we'd want because they know we'll poison our own well (had to say that ) if they allow us to get good source material and degrade it amongst ourselves.
True...That's why as of late I would rather trade for audio cassettes of older shows & transfer 'em myself than rely on receiving a CDR of MP3 sourced crap....I guess bein' around Beatle traders rubbed off on me cause they are the truly "perfectionists" when it comes to ROIO's.

Brian j.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down

Quote:
I would love to see a Fleetwood mac only torrent site, however a word of caution, bit-torrent seems to be a dirty word at the moment in the eyes of the copyright holders, I know easytree and what we would be uploading is not commercially available, but before anyone gets associated with any site that hosts torrents maybe they should seek the official line from FM managament.
This is what copyright holders should go after. Look how many times he's sold copies of this one dvd! I know this was out on LD and VHS but never to my knowledge on DVD. I'm sure nobody's getting any royalties on his sales. This is why I stick to trading audience recorded stuff not the PRO shot vids and audio. What this guy's doing is wrong.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=5547733087

His comments are hilarious:

"This is a region free DVD (not VCD) it comes sealed and shrinkwrapped !"

Worst of all...he has 100% feedback rating!

Last edited by glitter_fades; 01-04-2005 at 10:10 PM..
Old 01-05-2005, 12:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I saw this the other day.... and it had me fooled for a second - just looking at the dvd... It looks pretty official with the printing right on the dvd! (it's obviously not) But what's surprising are the amounts that people are spending on this dvd... a few have sold for more then $40 each US... and one of them at $67! That's insane!!!

I agree... go after the real pirates!
Old 01-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
...but with the "no MP3 source material" attitide over at easytree I cannot verify that every track is not MP3 sourced.
Here's a good link or two that should help you with verifying all those various sources.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 01-06-2005, 07:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by face of glass
Here's a good link or two that should help you with verifying all those various sources.
Thanks for this, the frequency analyser tells that (at least the first couple of tracks tested) of the CDR Trade source are in fact non compressed source.

Now all I need to do is get the MP3 source material upgraded