User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I guess I just took that comment to mean that we don't have to worry too much because they have several months off now and hopefully some rest is what Stevie is in need of at this point.
sure. I just know that continuing to sing when there are issues with the throat can cause serious damage in the longrun...and she has been struggling for a bit now off/on. That is my concern.

I am curious how neworleans went down...anyone? (der magazine called...said 'look at the NOLA thread")

Last edited by BTFLCHLD; 06-22-2009 at 04:57 PM..
Old 06-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I'm pretty sure Stevie has been saying for years that this particular song is really hard on her voice. I think even on the last tour she said she can't do Silver Springs AND Stand Back on the same setlist.
I believe you are right in that she's said Silver Springs basically kills her voice and is a tough one to sing. I believe for that reason it was dropped in '04 after a few shows and never appeared again until the '09 shows.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
sure. I just know that continuing to sing when there are issues with the throat can cause serious damage in the longrun...and she has been struggling for a bit now off/on. That is my concern.

I am curious how neworleans went down...anyone? (der magazine called...said 'look at the NOLA thread")
Understood...and I'd say at her age, preserving her voice has to be a concern. I would think maybe it's time the back-to-back shows come to an end and have an off day in between shows. She certainly seems off in that SIlver Springs clip...almost sounds as if she is sick and trying to sing through it. Maybe allergies or sinus problems?
Old 06-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
Understood...and I'd say at her age, preserving her voice has to be a concern. I would think maybe it's time the back-to-back shows come to an end and have an off day in between shows. She certainly seems off in that SIlver Springs clip...almost sounds as if she is sick and trying to sing through it. Maybe allergies or sinus problems?
They were off the day before the Nashville show and I thought the rest might help her. But, I can attest to the fact that as soon as I hit the Tennessee line, my allergies started acting up fiercely. Whatever the case, I'm glad she'll have the summer to rest up.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Ledgie

Maybe it's time for her to write some songs that suits her voice as it is today. Not as it was in 1977?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacesundone View Post
Maybe it's time for her to write some songs that suits her voice as it is today. Not as it was in 1977?
Maybe she has....we just haven't heard 'em....thanks Warner Brothers!!
Old 06-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow, she sounds exhausted. It may not be that a song in particular does this to her voice, but perhaps in this song it is harder to hide vocal strain. The spare, gentle instrumentation in parts of this song also allow us to really zero in on her voice, so there is no place to hide.

On a totally unrelated note, the trinket-loving crow in me really digs those dangly glove beads.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragandbone View Post
On a totally unrelated note, the trinket-loving crow in me really digs those dangly glove beads.
those and her outfits are such a beautiful sight to behold in person...just gorgeous.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

http://www.flv2mp3.com/download/5158947

Does anybody want the mp3 of the voice crack" haha
Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

To my ears it sounds like her asthma was acting up, which caused her to strain in order to reach the notes. She sounds dreadful in that clip. It ranks right up there with those awful raw soundboard leaks of Linda McCartney and Enrique Iglesias (and more recently, Beyonce) that Howard Stern used to ridicule. In fact, if I didn't love Stevie so much, I would forward this clip to the Howard Stern show on Sirius XM. Even though he is a big Stevie/FM fan, I am sure he would have played the clip on his show and busted her chops big time!

As much as I hate to admit it, maybe it's time to either retire SS permanently or to adjust the key . I think it's a bit strange that Lindsey has no problem adjusting the keys to his songs, but Mama would rather change the melody around than to change the key- it's almost like a badge of honor with her. Accordingly, I think that is why "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" eventually disappeared from her setlists; she must have hated singing it in a lower key.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, maybe it's time to either retire SS permanently or to adjust the key . I think it's a bit strange that Lindsey has no problem adjusting the keys to his songs, but Mama would rather change the melody around than to change the key- it's almost like a badge of honor with her. Accordingly, I think that is why "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" eventually disappeared from her setlists; she must have hated singing it in a lower key.

No. It disappeared because my prayers were finally answered;-)

But, yeah, she should change the key on Silver Springs. I do love that one intensely.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just Hope Stevie got a nice big hug from Lindsey after this performance to make her feel better, hahaha
Old 06-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, I've listened to this a few times, and I have to say, is it wrong that I am for whatever reason, drawn to performances like these? Seriously, I know from a standpoint of how the song SHOULD be sung, this is way wayyyyy off and Stevie is clearly having trouble doing what she expects herself to be able to do, but for whatever reason, I find performances like this, which are off key and sloppy, to actually be pretty cool...in an off key and sloppy sort of way! Kinda reminds me of the Atlantic City 1997 show where Stevie goes nuts toward the end and can't sing the last line (Lindsey did it for her). That performance also has some different vocal nuances from Stevie throughout and is clearly another example of her voice not being able to quite do the song the way she wants it to..but really, I always liked listening to it. Okay, rambling is done for now.

I'm talking more about the whole song...that croak at the end is pretty bad and looks like it hurt her a bit.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post
But, yeah, she should change the key on Silver Springs. I do love that one intensely.
I wonder whether changing the key of a song in mid tour is easier said than done. It requires everyone -- not just Stevie -- to relearn parts, except the keyboardist, who can use transpose features. But John would have to relearn bass part, Lindsey would have to relearn (he doesn't just stick a capo on for any old reason), & the acoustic guitarist would need to relearn.

When you've been playing Silver Springs in C major all these years, you'd have to put in a good number of hours learning the part in B or Bb major. It isn't just a snap of the fingers. It would probably take less time to learn the song from scratch than to relearn it in a key you haven't been playing it in. That can be very confusing, especially onstage in front of thousands of screaming mimis.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I wonder whether changing the key of a song in mid tour is easier said than done. It requires everyone -- not just Stevie -- to relearn parts, except the keyboardist, who can use transpose features. But John would have to relearn bass part, Lindsey would have to relearn (he doesn't just stick a capo on for any old reason), & the acoustic guitarist would need to relearn.

When you've been playing Silver Springs in C major all these years, you'd have to put in a good number of hours learning the part in B or Bb major. It isn't just a snap of the fingers. It would probably take less time to learn the song from scratch than to relearn it in a key you haven't been playing it in. That can be very confusing, especially onstage in front of thousands of screaming mimis.
Actually it's quite simple- change the tuning of the guitar and bass- that is pretty much how they lowered the key to "The Chain." It's more of a logistical headache for the road techies than the musicians. Also, it should be noted that "Don't Stop" started out in a lower key at the beginning of the "Unleashed" tour and then went back to its original key after a few shows...