The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Chit Chat
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: under beautiful desert skies of the Tri-cities in WA.
Default Buying a home

My hubby found a house for us to buy. We went to look at it this morning. The living room and bedrooms are tiny!!! I mean SMALL. The whole place is under 1000 sq feet. Our tv and sofa would fit in the living room and maybe a plant in the corner. That is it. Only our Queen size bed would fit in any of the bedrooms. Heck, the laundry room was much larger than the living room We presently live in a house that is much larger and I am HAPPY living here He wants to buy this tiny little house even though I told him I would be unhappy living there because it is so small and a 25 minute drive from our jobs. He is hell-bent on buying this place and I don't think he really cares whether I want to move there or not I am about ready to throw my hands up in the air and just find another place for me to move to. He thinks in four or five years we could move again but I just see alot of money going into repairs and remodelling the smaller house and a short commute to work every day that I will hate!!!! We now live only five mins drive from work. Has he lost his brain or going through a mid-life crisis??? Our kids are grown up and on their own. It is just us that will be living in this home if we buy it. What a dilemma
Old 01-18-2006, 07:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGypsy
My hubby found a house for us to buy. We went to look at it this morning. The living room and bedrooms are tiny!!! I mean SMALL. The whole place is under 1000 sq feet. Our tv and sofa would fit in the living room and maybe a plant in the corner. That is it. Only our Queen size bed would fit in any of the bedrooms. Heck, the laundry room was much larger than the living room We presently live in a house that is much larger and I am HAPPY living here He wants to buy this tiny little house even though I told him I would be unhappy living there because it is so small and a 25 minute drive from our jobs. He is hell-bent on buying this place and I don't think he really cares whether I want to move there or not I am about ready to throw my hands up in the air and just find another place for me to move to. He thinks in four or five years we could move again but I just see alot of money going into repairs and remodelling the smaller house and a short commute to work every day that I will hate!!!! We now live only five mins drive from work. Has he lost his brain or going through a mid-life crisis??? Our kids are grown up and on their own. It is just us that will be living in this home if we buy it. What a dilemma
Well, I can tell you right now that if he's not willing to compromise and see your side of things, that's a problem in my eyes.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

buying a house is a big step, especially if it's your first. don't waste all the great incentives a first-time buyer gets on something you don't want to do.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Try and talk to him about resale value. If it's that small, it won't have great resale value, no matter how much money you pour into remodeling and repairs.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I say hold out for what you want. We were in the market for over a year and finally a new community came about that we love. We are building it right now. So hold out for what you really want, It DOES exist!

Also, word of mouth works great. I heard about my community from one of my drug reps.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Old 01-19-2006, 04:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He finally came to his senses after he thought about some of the problems with the house he wanted to buy. We plan to keep saving to buy a better home closer to our jobs. It may take a year or two but I rather stay put than be stuck in a house I am unhappy with. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments Thanks for letting me vent
Old 01-19-2006, 08:05 AM
MoonChilde

Quote:
He finally came to his senses after he thought about some of the problems with the house he wanted to buy. We plan to keep saving to buy a better home closer to our jobs. It may take a year or two but I rather stay put than be stuck in a house I am unhappy with. Thanks everyone for your suggestions and comments Thanks for letting me vent
I am a little late in this topic..but ..glad he came to his senses..wish I would of come to mine before we bought this house we are in..well its not the house..the house is big and beautiful..actually my dream house with a veranda that goes around the whole house and a beautiful hot tub in our back bottom deck..but I HATE the location !! and feel like we are in our own small world..We made a move from the west coast to the east coast and it was the worst thing we could of did..We currently have the house on the market..but because its just a small fishing village on the sea we are having a hell of time selling it for the money its worth..No one locally can afford it.I dont; say that in any mean way..but all that is here is fish smoking plants and the pay is the most 10 an hour..so a mortgage for our price range is way above what most can afford..and no one from the city seems to want to do the commute ,even though its only a half hour drive.
Anyway sorry ..lol guess i needed to vent too..I am glad your hubby came to his senses...be patient and the right house will find you ..
Old 01-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonChilde
We currently have the house on the market..but because its just a small fishing village on the sea we are having a hell of time selling it for the money its worth..No one locally can afford it.I dont; say that in any mean way..but all that is here is fish smoking plants and the pay is the most 10 an hour..so a mortgage for our price range is way above what most can afford..and no one from the city seems to want to do the commute ,even though its only a half hour drive.
Anyway sorry ..lol guess i needed to vent too..I am glad your hubby came to his senses...be patient and the right house will find you ..
Sounds like heaven to me.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:06 AM
MoonChilde

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannieC
Sounds like heaven to me.
Well ..it was at first..lol..but its hard when you don;t speak the language of the locals.(Accadian french) and you must be bilingueal(sp) to get a job in the province..It is heaven for my 2 dogs though.they love it here..they get to run the beach everyday and explore the property out back..I guess I am just feeling really homesick for family and friends...sighhh.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonChilde
I am a little late in this topic..but ..glad he came to his senses..wish I would of come to mine before we bought this house we are in..well its not the house..the house is big and beautiful..actually my dream house with a veranda that goes around the whole house and a beautiful hot tub in our back bottom deck..but I HATE the location !! and feel like we are in our own small world..We made a move from the west coast to the east coast and it was the worst thing we could of did..We currently have the house on the market..but because its just a small fishing village on the sea we are having a hell of time selling it for the money its worth..No one locally can afford it.I dont; say that in any mean way..but all that is here is fish smoking plants and the pay is the most 10 an hour..so a mortgage for our price range is way above what most can afford..and no one from the city seems to want to do the commute ,even though its only a half hour drive.

I hope you will be able to sell your home soon. It sounds beautiful to me but what is really important is how you and your husband feel in the house and in your community. Family is important, especially if you were use to visiting them and having them in your home alot.

I think that may be my hubby's problem. He is bored and has more time now that our children are out of the house and living on their own. He use to be involved in Scouting with our son but not anymore since our son is grown up and on his own. He has no hobbies other than golf and his work so he finds things to bug me with since I am content and happy where we are. He needs challenges and I don't. I told him to find a hobby during the winter. I can't imagine what he will be like once he retires