The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-25-2003, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dancers: What was the first album you bought?

Dancers (those of you who became fans by seeing The Dance on TV):

What was the first FM album you went out and bought after becoming an instant fanatic?

Is there a particular song from that show that stands out as sucking you in (I'm guessing Silver Springs for many of you Can't say I blame ya!)

I'm also curious what your favorite "version" of Rhiannon is, having heard The Dance one first (although I'm sure many of you were at least acquainted with the studio version prior to that, so this may be a difficult question).

Old 10-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not a Dancer, I'm a 1987 Tango-er. My favorite Rhiannons are Rosebud and the 1980 Live album version.

- Jake
Old 10-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I was first sucked in my Everywhere, so the dance version of that song holds a special place in my heart.

I was not the one who purchased the dance, my parents did. So I listened to it several times through the course of a year before actually paying attention. The video was what I first saw and I loved Christine.

Anyway, a year later my parents also purchased Practical Magic and I loved the Stevie songs from it.

Because of my intrest in the dance, my grandparents got me their greatest hits album maybe a year after the dance came out. At first I was thinking, okay this is a stupid gift, but it was prob. the best present I have ever gotten because it really introduced FM to me.

Anyway, during the summer of 2002, a mother of one of my best friends came over and realized that I liked Stevie because I had Sweet Girl playing on my cd player. She then said, "I have the Stevie box set" and I was still thinking that it really didn't matter. Just because I occasionally listened to them didn't mean I would like any of their other music. So, she burned the first two discs of enchanted for me.

I listened to the first disc for a month and loved it. I then started listening to the second disc and loved it to.

I, myself, purchased Trouble in Shangri-La one day when I realized one of my favorite songs, Everyday, was on it. I had no idea Stevie sang that song until then. So I loved the cd and listened to it 24-7! I just loved Stevie's voice so much....

So then I joined BMG music club and could get a bunch of albums for free. They were all Fleetwood Mac albums. I got the white album, rumors, tusk, and behind the mask. I also purchased stevie's entire solo collection.

I then eventually purchased Stevie's box set (even though i had burned it) just because i wanted to be nice. I am still mooching off of my parent's copy of the dance. Eventually I got the videos like red rocks and the documentarys and the concerts.

I realized a really cool thing: I had been listening to tango since i was a baby. My parents got the album and these songs that were all in the back of my mind that i had forgotten about were from my new favorite band, so I will always think of tango as my first album...

Of course I got Christine's solo album and I still have to start on Lindsey's solo stuff. The only albums from the rumors era i don't have are mirage and Live. I just haven't found them yet at the record store...

So come 2003, I was an obsessed fan... I got SYW on the first day it came out, begged my Dad to take me to a concert (which we had to fly all the way to Atlanta to go to), and visit the ledge everyday for info about fleetwood mac.

Sure I am only 15 and drive my friends crazy because I talk about Stevie all the time and they have no idea who she is, but I am sooooo glad that I got into FM. I listen to some of the "music" that these guys at my school listen to and it is awful compared to what FM has to offer.

In answer to your other question, I like the piano version of rhiannon on the enchanted box set. I know other people don't like it and think Stevie's piano playing is bad, but I think it adds so much more to know that she is the only one contributing to the song, you know? Like she is sending us a message in this song and it is completely from her.

Sorry this was so long, I was bored!

We were frail...
Save us...
Old 10-26-2003, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I bought the Greatest Hits album first. After listening to it though, I realized that it was missing a lot of the greatest hits so I went out and bought the White album and Rumours at the same time. And I've been totally hooked on FM since then.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, "The Dance" was enough to tie me over for a while. Then I decided to find out a little more about these people and I went out and got the "Greatest Hits". I remember thinking that the girl singing "Rhiannon" on the GH was not the same girl singing on "The Dance". I remember bringing my mom into my room saying, "Listen to this. That's not Stevie Nicks, is it?" I also remember when "Little Lies" came on I recognized it immediately as a song from my childhood and I was like, "Wow! I didn't know Fleetwood Mac did this!" Then I went on the internet and did some research on the band...and there was no turning back.

Stevie's "Enchanted" box set was the next thing I got.

You know, they were really the first band to make me more interested in music as a craft. I had always loved songs, and singing along to songs, but I never really paid attention to music before. When I heard Fleetwood Mac I wanted to know who was playing the guitar, keyboards, bass, drums, who wrote the song, who produced it, etc. I've never looked at music the same way since that fateful day back in late '97.

Susie
Old 10-26-2003, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not including The Dance CD, the first album I bought after seeing that was the white Fleetwood Mac album. I immediately loved "World Turning" and "Crystal."

"Silver Springs" is my favorite Dance moment, followed by "Big Love," "Landslide," and "Rhiannon."

As for "Rhiannon"...

I never really liked the studio version that much. I love how she does it on the The Dance.
Old 10-26-2003, 11:20 AM
Senior Ledgie

I'm a Tango kid too. "The Dance" really got me into FM but I vividly remember loving my dad's copy of Tango growing up.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My boyfriend bought me The Dance VHS for Christmas 1997, and I think someone got the CD for me then too. He still teases me that when The Dance came out, I didn't know most of the songs, or that Mac sang them . I'm not positive, but I believe I then went out & got Rumours & Bella Donna first, maybe Greatest Hits at that time too. The rest is a blur, except I know I bought the Tusk CD used at some record shop & it remains my favorite. I also rmember going "hey, wait a minute,I remember TITN from 6th grade!"
As for Rhiannon, I would have to say I do prefer the older live versions (esp. the one from 75 or 77, they always show on Stevie/Mac shows, when Mick said it used to be like an exocism) I like boots from the Mirage tour too "you don't change, I don't change, it's all the same!" And I agree with most that it's not as good as the old days, but I really prefer the SYW versions to The Dance. I love the Buffalo show where she keeps going "well you still cry out for her, oh yes you still cry out for her, weeeeellllll" It shows she's still got some fire left for this songs when she wants it!

Paula
Old 10-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am a Mirager from back in 82
I would say that the live Rhiannon from the 82 concert at the Forum that was aired on HBO is my favorite live version

"Live, Eat and Breathe Music...."

Unleashed 2009
Old 10-28-2003, 04:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Dancers: What was the first album you bought?

Quote:
Originally posted by EveryHour
Dancers (those of you who became fans by seeing The Dance on TV):

What was the first FM album you went out and bought after becoming an instant fanatic?

Is there a particular song from that show that stands out as sucking you in (I'm guessing Silver Springs for many of you Can't say I blame ya!)

I'm also curious what your favorite "version" of Rhiannon is, having heard The Dance one first (although I'm sure many of you were at least acquainted with the studio version prior to that, so this may be a difficult question).

Well, I didn't buy The Dance, my dad did. The first album I purchased was Rumours. I must say it was a pretty good choice for an eight year old .

The performance that stood out to me the most was Landslide... It was just so gorgeous and heartfelt, and the whole vibe it gave was pretty cute . And I just thought that Stevie was so cool with her chiffon-ness and whatnot. Also, Say You Love Me stood out to me, I remember hearing it and loving Christine's voice a lot, and I lurved the speech at the beginning, lol.

My favorite version of Rhiannon would have to bee the one from Live, I just love the somewhat demonic screams for some reason. lol

I'm still trying to build my FM collection, I have all of the Rumours era CDs and vinyl, and most of the Bob Welch era CDs and vinyl... Also I'm trying to start trading demos, bootlegs, etc... Well, I'll take it one day at a time
Old 10-28-2003, 08:56 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default The Dance

Haven't been on here for ages. Where did everyone go (BellaDonnaGypsy etc?)
Should be doing uni work but never mind...........

I first watched 'The Dance' about two years ago, as a friend had it and I was curious. My first thought was - 'Hey look at that fit man (Mr Buckingham of course). Then I really got into their music and bought the self titled album and the rest is history...... The song that really got me into them was 'I'm so Afraid' - great guitar solo!!

Sarah
Old 10-28-2003, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm a "dancer" myself...

The first album I got after THE DANCE, was TIMESPACE...My mom brought it home to me...and i was like WOW COOL, this lady is even cooler than I thought...then I got the Enchanted Box Set...then came the Mac albums and then the Stevie ones

But the song that struck me the most in the dance was surprisingly GOLD DUST WOMAN...I remember getting The Dance CD and going "Where is the silver spoon song???"

Chris
Old 10-29-2003, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I'm a dancer because it's when I first became aware of Fleetwood Mac. I saw all this major hoopla on TV and magazines and can't really say that I could figure out what the fuss was about. I thought it was a bunch of old hands trying to cash in. I do remember hearing Silver Springs, since they did air that as a single video, and thinking it was a decent song.

My boyfriend at the time had the CD and loved it. He played it for me and I found it to be kind of boring. I even got curious enough and played my dad's Chain boxed set a little bit and thinking that was pretty boring too.

Fast forward to 2003. Fleetwood Mac reunites. Seeing them in the news again at least implants them in my subconcious. Then my boss burned a Fleetwood Mac greatest hits to listen to at work. Then the light came on. I was already so familiar with these songs from them being played so much, but it didn't strike me as brilliant pop music before like it did now. I once again dug out the trusty Chain boxed set and noticed all these cool old songs that I'd never heard that I kind of liked better, so I bought Bare Trees, my first Fleetwood Mac album, and haven't looked back.

Old 10-29-2003, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

funny thing...my mom forced us to watch the dance on mtv ...and at first I was like AHHH CMON THIS SUCKS!! TURN IT! then she had taped it and kept watching it over and over...and finally Stevie caught my eye

Chris
Old 10-29-2003, 05:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

If it hadn't been for The Dance's version of "Silver Springs," I would have never become a fan, but it is not that song that sucked me in...it's a long story... but the song that sucked me in for good was "Gypsy."

If you count their solo albums... I bought TISL and the Enchanted box set together. If you just do FM albums, it was TVBOFM.

My favorite version of "Rhiannon" is the live one off the 1980 "FM Live" album. Yeah, that version rocks my world...