The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.
View Poll Results: which IYD song would you like to hear FM do live 2013?
For What It's Worth 6 11.11%
Wide Sargasso Sea 3 5.56%
New Orleans 1 1.85%
Moonlight (A Vampire's Dream) 6 11.11%
Soldier's Angel 13 24.07%
Everybody Loves You 3 5.56%
Ghosts Are Gone 3 5.56%
You May Be The One 16 29.63%
Italian Summer 3 5.56%
Cheaper Than Free (Feat. Dave Stewart) 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTrouble View Post
Ooops - you're obviously not used to my caustic humour yet!
Sorry for the blow to the ego, but I wasn't referring to you specifically.

Last edited by WildHearted; 02-12-2013 at 06:28 PM..
Old 02-12-2013, 06:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

[

maybe you need to come join us in that corner for people with misunderstood sense of humor because this comes across as snide to me

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 02-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
[

maybe you need to come join us in that corner for people with misunderstood sense of humor because this comes across as snide to me
Water off a ducks back Elle

And while people are having a go at me they are leaving our boy alone so it's all good!

I just take it all in good fun!

It just gets so darn serious on here lol
Old 02-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post

Whoa, think I'll be on the naughty step for some time.....hmm, will just play some Lindsey music
Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
[

join us in that corner for people with misunderstood sense of humor because this comes across as snide to me
Where's this group at? My mom says that I have a bad or weird taste in humor
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
I think the Mac-iest IYD song is Annabel Lee, but that didn't make the poll. I guess my choice would be You May Be The One. It's a really powerful track, actually one of my faves from the album, and I think it would result in a really cool Stevie-Lindsey dynamic.
I agree with you about Annabel Lee. YMBTO is also my next choice. Both of these sound as if they should have been FM songs instead of solo.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsfan View Post
Not to nitpick, but Lindsey doesn't "take" the attention. He "earns" it by working his ass off. Read almost any review from the last two tours, and they'll back me on that.

That's not Stevie's fault. He's just that good, and it has nothing to do with what she does, or does not do. I don't think she holds back, anyways. She just hasn't been at the top of her game, especially on the UL tour. Rhiannon is my favorite example. I always want her to get into it, and go to town, but she never does anymore. I sincerely hope she brings it this time, though, because I, too, like the whole band and would love for them all to be at their best.
Well, I hate to throw my dog in this fight, but...

Sometimes Lindsey takes it. I have seen him do it with my own eyes. I didn't misinterpret it. It was the first time I saw them live on the UL tour in Atlanta, in fact. He barreled his way through the first few songs, milking the applause as if he was the only performer onstage. It was so obvious that John pointed at him in conversation to Stevie and said "What the hell?!" She just shrugged and shook her head. It passed, but he was definitely being boorish with his hamming.

That being said, I agree that Stevie was not on her A game and that she has much more potential that I would love to see shine on the new tour. I can't imagine how exciting it would be to see them both giving it their all, instead of "waiting on a bus unexciting" as she put it.

Anyway, I don't buy that Stevie was cowering to Lindsey onstage - in wardrobe or anything else. I think she does what SHE wants to do - and sometimes that means she wants to pick her battles, like anyone does. Maybe she senses by being low key that day/that night it keeps the peace. So, what? She knows him better than anyone. That's her choice, not because he is making rules over her.

Last edited by CADreaming; 02-13-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Old 02-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

Sometimes Lindsey takes it. I have seen him do it with my own eyes. I didn't misinterpret it. It was the first time I saw them live on the UL tour in Atlanta, in fact. He barreled his way through the first few songs, milking the applause as if he was the only performer onstage. It was so obvious that John pointed at him in conversation to Stevie and said "What the hell?!" She just shrugged and shook her head. It passed, but he was definitely being boorish with his hamming.

Anyway, I don't buy that Stevie was cowering to Lindsey onstage - in wardrobe or anything else. I think she does what SHE wants to do - and sometimes that means she wants to pick her battles, like anyone does. Maybe she senses by being low key that day/that night it keeps the peace. So, what? She knows him better than anyone. That's her choice, not because he is making rules over her.
Wow to your post. I wasn't there so I can't really comment on LB's actions. however, as you described, and I believe it is accurate what you witnessed. The band (MickVie) acknowledge and support the contributions of all singers/songwriters. But I also believe that they are somewhat fatherly- protective of Stevie, at least when it comes to LB and some of her worst critics.

So, what I'm getting at is if MickVie see the value and contributions and neccesary support of ALL performers, then why can't we as fans look past the competition (within the band) and be supportive, as well?

I also agree, that often times more than not, Stevie takes the high road and picks her battles.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I do recall that you said that John seemed miffed that Lindsey was getting a long standing ovation following IKINW.

Of course, Lindsey always does his prayer bowing, hand over the heart thing when the audience responds to him and you said that John seemed fed up with the grandstanding.

John and Stevie often look at each other that way. When Lindsey gives his speech to intro a song, referencing the band's future or past, they will glance at each other and look weary, as if they don't agree or think he is wasting time.

Michele
Old 02-13-2013, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I do recall that you said that John seemed miffed that Lindsey was getting a long standing ovation following IKINW.

Of course, Lindsey always does his prayer bowing, hand over the heart thing when the audience responds to him and you said that John seemed fed up with the grandstanding.

John and Stevie often look at each other that way. When Lindsey gives his speech to intro a song, referencing the band's future or past, they will glance at each other and look weary, as if they don't agree or think he is wasting time.

Michele
Yes, he had been sort of egging on the applause. Hands on knees, repeatedly yelling "Oh yeah!". It wasn't very generous to his band mates. I think it had culminated by IKINW with John's reaction, because he had been doing it after every song to the point of interrupting the set flow. It wasn't even that Lindsey didn't deserve applause but you know how crowds will start just whooping because something is going on. He took the first applause and then as it died down he kept it going when he should have or normally would have gone into the next song.

Last edited by CADreaming; 02-13-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Old 02-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, he had been sort of egging on the applause. Hands on knees, repeatedly yelling "Oh yeah!". It wasn't very generous to his band mates. I think it had culminated by IKINW with John's reaction, because he had been doing it after every song to the point of interrupting the set flow. It wasn't even that Lindsey didn't deserve applause but you know how crowds will start just whooping because something is going on. He took the first applause and then as it died down he kept it going when he should have or normally would have gone into the next song.
Oh, I didn't get that it was an ongoing thing after every song. I only notice him responding to the audience after his own songs, when I saw them.

I was interested in your comment in 2009 because I had noticed John and Stevie's facial expressions and eye contact during Lindsey's song intros and your observations added to my own notice of their interaction at other points in the show, so you gave me more to look for. I knew she didn't agree with Lindsey saying that they don't have a new album YET, before she said she didn't agree in the press, just by the way she was acting on stage when he talked.

As for the standing ovation, I appreciate the longer explanation. At the time, you didn't describe it as a culmination. You just remarked more on John and Stevie's reaction and John making the WTH gesture to Stevie following Lindsey's grandstanding after the one song, which turned out to be IKINW.

I think Lindsey plays into the audience response for sure after his own songs, jumping up and down after ISA, for example, running around the stage in a frenzy or being a "whirling dervish" as Stevie said. And doing that chest pounding thing or prayer gesture. I never thought of it as trying to steal anyone's thunder because the focus was on him anyway, as he does it following his own songs and Stevie gets to bask in it after hers, especially Rhiannon, Stand Back and GDW too. The way the show is set up, they each have their own time to shine, without taking the glow from each other. I don't see him hamming it up after The Chain, for example which, I suppose, would rightly annoy John.

I'm just glad they aren't trying to distract the audience during each other's songs as they have in the past.

Michele
Old 02-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Yeah, I see your point about the songs. I guess I just look at it in that setting as an ensemble and a little goes a long way. I'd have to look back at my review but I do remember it just stood out to me at the time because when John made his motions and acted peeved - it was what I had been thinking too. Like, ok Linds - that's enough you're not the only one on that stage. Play nice!
Old 02-13-2013, 03:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hmmm, not sure what category I fall into - I've been a Buckingham Nicks fan since I was 11 yrs old. I only started listening to FM BECAUSE SnL joined the band. I have always considered FM to be more or less a back-up band for Buckingham Nicks. I'm actually glad the Christine McVie is gone. So, the more duets the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm very happy with the lineup as it stands today with two powerful singer/songwriters. My only regret about the whole thing is the years-long conflict between Stevie and Lindsey. I just wonder how much beautiful music we missed because they were fighting each other in their songs instead of writing then together... And, it might not be popular but I find Mick Fleetwood a creepy Svengali type and I don't like him. But, I do acknowledge that he is a gifted drummer.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
^Yeah, I see your point about the songs. I guess I just look at it in that setting as an ensemble and a little goes a long way. I'd have to look back at my review but I do remember it just stood out to me at the time because when John made his motions and acted peeved - it was what I had been thinking too. Like, ok Linds - that's enough you're not the only one on that stage. Play nice!
Your review comments from then are in this thread.

http://www.ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/sh...hlight=atlanta

That reminds me that I should have started setting up the venues for concert reviews the moment they announced the 2013 tour dates. It is time consuming and unless I do one or two a day, there's no way they are all going to get done by April. That's why a lot of times what we put in these threads is the only archived information that will be on the site, because it's so much harder to maintain the news and review databases.

Michele
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default new thread? (war of the roses!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilyfan View Post
Hmmm, not sure what category I fall into - I've been a Buckingham Nicks fan since I was 11 yrs old. I only started listening to FM BECAUSE SnL joined the band. I have always considered FM to be more or less a back-up band for Buckingham Nicks. I'm actually glad the Christine McVie is gone. So, the more duets the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm very happy with the lineup as it stands today with two powerful singer/songwriters. My only regret about the whole thing is the years-long conflict between Stevie and Lindsey. I just wonder how much beautiful music we missed because they were fighting each other in their songs instead of writing then together... And, it might not be popular but I find Mick Fleetwood a creepy Svengali type and I don't like him. But, I do acknowledge that he is a gifted drummer.
reading all the posts in this thread lately, every time i think it's gotten back on topic, it veers back into the war of the roses.

i usually see one post off topic and am hoping it was gonna stay at that, but all of the sudden it starts piling up and i can't resist jumping in and seems many others react the same.

Lilyfan's nice post above has finally convinced me that people want to discuss this some more - so i'm thinking maybe we should set up a thread with the name that actually reflects what's in it and either move all the posts about lindsey love and stevie love and mutual love or hate or competition between them or fans of either one or both and preaching who should be saying and not saying whatever in that thread - or at least discuss that from now on in a separate thread?

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Closed Thread