The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I didn't like ITM more than 1984 s/t, but I thought it had a few good songs. Like Stevie and Lindsey, I think Christine is best within the context of Fleetwood Mac than as a solo artist.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

SteveMacD, I actually disagree in part. I do believe Christine's songs are definitely superior within the band context, often benefiting from Lindsey's guiding hand, particularly in terms of inventive arrangements. I also think that the three part harmonies lift her songs beyond the mundane. For example, imagine Little Lies without Lindsey's arrangement and the backing vocals during the chorus? It would have just blended in with the rest of the songs on the 1984 solo album - decent, but not earth-shattering. Little Lies as it stands is an enjoyable ditty, but majorly assisted by the flourishes afforded by the band.
However, I think that both Lindsey and Stevie (to a lesser extent) are more adventurous in their solo outings and often reap the rewards as a result. Stevie's collaboration with Dave Stewart certainly made for an eclectic album, whether you like the final result or not. By her normal standards, In Your Dreams constituted veritable experimentation.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I enjoyed Meantime, but I thought Dan Perfect's production on some of those songs was so cheesy and horrible it was hard to take. I always said I would have called my lawyer and written him out of the will if I'd been Christine.

Yet, to me the most beautiful songs on that album were written by Dan and his light production touch was perfect on Calumny and Northern Star as good there as it was heavy-handed elsewhere. I just don't think he should have produced the uptempo tunes. Even for the 1980s the backup vocals on Bad Journey would be too much, but 20 years later, I found them absolutely criminal.

But from the example of his writing we got, I would be interested in having Christine do more of his songs, just with a different producer.

Michele
Old 02-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Dan and his light production touch was perfect on Calumny and Northern Star as good there as it was heavy-handed elsewhere. I just don't think he should have produced the uptempo tunes. Even for the 1980s the backup vocals on Bad Journey would be too much, but 20 years later, I found them absolutely criminal.

But from the example of his writing we got, I would be interested in having Christine do more of his songs, just with a different producer.

Michele
Calumny and Northern Star are the two TRUE gems on the album. Bad Journey is my least favorite song on it!
Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't think Dan Perfect can be completely blamed for the production on ITM.

Christine was the senior partner, the much more experienced musician so the final decisions would or should have been hers

Anyway I like the album

Gail
Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Now I'm in the minority: I love "Bad Journey."

I had some problems with the album's production, but this had to do with Christine's tendency to do too many repetitions in a song. The same problem with the chorus of "Got a Hold on Me." Most of the songs on ITM could be cut down by anywhere from 30-60 seconds. "Anything is Possible," "Forgiveness" and "Givin' it Back" are notable exceptions. And "Calumny" deserves its length.

Anyway, "Forgiveness" is pretty much a perfect song in my book--and so well arranged, I'd forgive the drawn out repetition at the end of the "Friend" (album version--the acoustic version is perfect).

But, I have to agree with SteveMacD: she's better in the context of the group, as are all of the individual members of Mac.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Now I'm in the minority: I love "Bad Journey."

I had some problems with the album's production, but this had to do with Christine's tendency to do too many repetitions in a song. The same problem with the chorus of "Got a Hold on Me." Most of the songs on ITM could be cut down by anywhere from 30-60 seconds. "Anything is Possible," "Forgiveness" and "Givin' it Back" are notable exceptions. And "Calumny" deserves its length.

Anyway, "Forgiveness" is pretty much a perfect song in my book--and so well arranged, I'd forgive the drawn out repetition at the end of the "Friend" (album version--the acoustic version is perfect).

But, I have to agree with SteveMacD: she's better in the context of the group, as are all of the individual members of Mac.
I love Bad Journey. I love the lyrics, I adore the backing vocals and her voice is so cool on it. I don't like the "Bad Journey" chant. uhhhh
Old 02-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I had some problems with the album's production, but this had to do with Christine's tendency to do too many repetitions in a song.
I didn't notice the repetition, but the hackneyed metaphors and phrases in Liar nearly disabled me.

I actually like the tune, very catchy, but the words are . . . shameful, high school sophmore, really.

-jack of hearts
-shining knight
-heart of darkness
-dice
-gambler
-clown
-walls came tumbling down

Did someone give her a cliche book for Christmas? And a good cliche is fine. In fact, some of the greatest lyrics spring from a twist in a cliched phrase, but there were no twists in these lyrics and too many of these time worn duds thrown into a single song. I mean, it would have been bad enough if they'd all been spread across an entire album. But all in one song.

Michele
Old 02-22-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I didn't notice the repetition, but the hackneyed metaphors and phrases in Liar nearly disabled me.

I actually like the tune, very catchy, but the words are . . . shameful, high school sophmore, really.

-jack of hearts
-shining knight
-heart of darkness
-dice
-gambler
-clown
-walls came tumbling down

Did someone give her a cliche book for Christmas? And a good cliche is fine. In fact, some of the greatest lyrics spring from a twist in a cliched phrase, but there were no twists in these lyrics and too many of these time worn duds thrown into a single song. I mean, it would have been bad enough if they'd all been spread across an entire album. But all in one song.

Michele
I don't like this tune. Lyrics and/or music.. just doesn't really go anywhere..
Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
My vote goes to "Homeward Bound." Great piano, very believable emotion. And a real rocker, something we didn't get too often from Christine.
I'm with you. HB is one of her all-time best and early evidence of her wanting to leave the music industry.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I also rather like Bad Journey. Not as much as some others, but it is much better than several tunes on the album.

Gotta say I have always loved Homeward Bound. Not her best vocal, but a great song and I think the lyrics get at the heart of why she ultimately left so many years later. Always wished they'd done it live in the B&N years.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
However, I think that both Lindsey and Stevie (to a lesser extent) are more adventurous in their solo outings and often reap the rewards as a result.
For me, Stevie's songs are either too narcissistic or too fairy tale/pixie dust to be enjoyable for a whole album. Her voice also gets on my nerves, especially since she has one vocal run that she uses ad nausem. It's hard to take a whole album of Stevie.

Lindsey can be interesting on his own, though some of his stuff is too left brained to be listenable (at least to me), and a lot of his lyrics are also very narcissistic. Also, he seems to be making a lot more social commentary these days. I guess I wouldn't have too much of an issue with that if he had a history of making social commentary.

Christine's writing tends to be more universal, but she gets bland after a while. I find her albums less difficult to sit through, but they can be a challenge.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
It's amazing that you assume it matters to David what album it was on.
I didn't assume anything,at any time,ever. What is this post about? If I did,let David speak about it,why jump in??
Old 03-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still deeply in love with Over and Over, a song that never got the recognition it deserves.... So subtle, so beautifully build up.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Two more songs that I feel don't get any love and are some of my favs are Oh Daddy and Save Me.