User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-28-2020, 01:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
It was really bad. I rolled my eyes 360 degrees for the first time ever!
So much has been made of Christine’s diminished voice and piano playing, but no matter how true that may be, she is still clearly musical and capable. She still reaches for the notes and one can still hear evidence of that inimitable tone. The recent doc shows she can also still play piano —though probably not for long periods of time.

Stevie’s playing, on the other hand, is a travesty of musicianship. She can still belt songs (with a noticeably harsher tone) and she can still command a stage. Just keep her away from the piano!
Old 08-28-2020, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
So much has been made of Christine’s diminished voice and piano playing, but no matter how true that may be, she is still clearly musical and capable. She still reaches for the notes and one can still hear evidence of that inimitable tone. The recent doc shows she can also still play piano —though probably not for long periods of time.

Stevie’s playing, on the other hand, is a travesty of musicianship. She can still belt songs (with a noticeably harsher tone) and she can still command a stage. Just keep her away from the piano!
There was that Gypsy piano performance a few years ago and it always blew my mind when comments on the video would be all “so haunting!” And “breathtaking!” No, it’s terrible. It’s a combination of her terrible keyboard skills along with the blah vocals on Gypsy that she’s been doing for 15 years.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
There was that Gypsy piano performance a few years ago and it always blew my mind when comments on the video would be all “so haunting!” And “breathtaking!” No, it’s terrible. It’s a combination of her terrible keyboard skills along with the blah vocals on Gypsy that she’s been doing for 15 years.
Her fans like her for other reasons than music. If she and LB got back together and farted into a mic, they(goatheads) would be over the moon. Her fans are in love with the ego, shipping, etc. Much of the love has nothing to do with musicianship.

The GDW dance almost ruined a great performance for me because it was just so awkward. And she actually sounded great to me on that song.

Last edited by jbrownsjr; 08-31-2020 at 01:47 PM..
Old 08-31-2020, 01:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Her fans like her for other reasons than music. If she and LB got back together and farted into a mic, they would be over the moon. Her fans are in love with the ego, shipping, etc. Much of the love has nothing to do with musicianship.

The GDW dance almost ruined a great performance for me because it was just so awkward. And she actually sounded great to me on that song.
I read this post while on a call with work and it was all I could do to not die laughing at the "farted into a mic" line.

If GDW just had the jam without Stevie 'jamming' then yes I would agree, it would be great. I still prefer the tighter version that they did with The Dance and on the Say You Will Tour, but the longer version with the jam is pretty good. Her voice today works for GDW, even with its limitations. The crack dance is just painful.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I read this post while on a call with work and it was all I could do to not die laughing at the "farted into a mic" line.

If GDW just had the jam without Stevie 'jamming' then yes I would agree, it would be great. I still prefer the tighter version that they did with The Dance and on the Say You Will Tour, but the longer version with the jam is pretty good. Her voice today works for GDW, even with its limitations. The crack dance is just painful.
I did love The Dance version! The crackhead dance is so awkward. Like when she sings at the piano (as we discussed) and nobody says a word about how painful it is.
Old 08-31-2020, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
He may have stolen that line from Joe Walsh. Joe said that the record companies wouldn't care if they farted on a record, they'd put it out.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
He may have stolen that line from Joe Walsh. Joe said that the record companies wouldn't care if they farted on a record, they'd put it out.
I swear, I've never heard that!
Old 08-31-2020, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
it sounds like something Joe Walsh would say and he was right more than half of The Long Run sounds pretty gaseous.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's on History of The Eagles.

For any of you Eagles fans, I tell you, IT'S A MUST HAVE. Get the 3 DVD set. The first disc is the entire history up until the breakup in 1980, and the second one is from the reunification forward. The third disc is "Live at the Capitol Center, 1977"(not full length, but it's about 10 songs, and very good). The history discs are about 3 hours total running time. It's very interesting!!!

I love the damned thing so much, I'll bet I've watched it 30 or more times in the 3 or so years I've owned it. Have I mentioned that I highly recommend it?
Old 09-01-2020, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It's on History of The Eagles.

For any of you Eagles fans, I tell you, IT'S A MUST HAVE. Get the 3 DVD set. The first disc is the entire history up until the breakup in 1980, and the second one is from the reunification forward. The third disc is "Live at the Capitol Center, 1977"(not full length, but it's about 10 songs, and very good). The history discs are about 3 hours total running time. It's very interesting!!!

I love the damned thing so much, I'll bet I've watched it 30 or more times in the 3 or so years I've owned it. Have I mentioned that I highly recommend it?
This is the documentary that's on Netflix (or was), right? It was incredible. And though I credit Don and Glenn for including Felder, I would have paid money to see them actually record their interviews for the documentary together in the same room.

I also credit those two for not sanitizing the truth too much (can you imagine a present day Mick and Stevie sanctioned Fleetwood Mac documentary? Jesus..). Felder, who can at times seem whiny about his dismissal, really came off like he had legit concerns beginning in 1994 (not to mention Glenn threatening to kick his a$$ at the 1980 breakup) about how the Eagles Corporation profits were being split considering their original 1974 arrangement. I thought Henley and Frey came off like two arrogant pricks - they are, but at least they didn't sugarcoat it. The argument that they basically carried the band's legacy through the 80's with their solo careers is largely true, but I always thought Frey's was largely forgettable especially when compared to Henley's (though I LOVE me some cheesy 80's crap like "The Heat is On").

Anyway, even if you are marginal fan of Eagles, this documentary is WELL worth the time investment!
Old 09-01-2020, 04:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is the documentary that's on Netflix (or was), right? It was incredible. And though I credit Don and Glenn for including Felder, I would have paid money to see them actually record their interviews for the documentary together in the same room.

I also credit those two for not sanitizing the truth too much (can you imagine a present day Mick and Stevie sanctioned Fleetwood Mac documentary? Jesus..). Felder, who can at times seem whiny about his dismissal, really came off like he had legit concerns beginning in 1994 (not to mention Glenn threatening to kick his a$$ at the 1980 breakup) about how the Eagles Corporation profits were being split considering their original 1974 arrangement. I thought Henley and Frey came off like two arrogant pricks - they are, but at least they didn't sugarcoat it. The argument that they basically carried the band's legacy through the 80's with their solo careers is largely true, but I always thought Frey's was largely forgettable especially when compared to Henley's (though I LOVE me some cheesy 80's crap like "The Heat is On").

Anyway, even if you are marginal fan of Eagles, this documentary is WELL worth the time investment!
I believe it is the same. I found a second 3 disc set in a thrift store last week for.......wait for it........$2!!!!! Two f*cking dollars!!!

Yeah, this is nothing like a FM DVD would be. They reveal many warts, and don't hide much. I think Henley and Frey are BOTH PRICKS(doesn't mean I don't love the music, though). Frey was always the boss, IMO. I can see how he felt when Don's voice became the star of the show, and got 80% of the songs to sing. And Don's always been a malcontent, according to David Geffen.

And according to Felder's book(I won a copy on an Eagle's site, years ago), Felder was the last member ever to have a full blown share of everything. By the time Walsh and Schmidt came along, that practice was over. So he was entitled to 1/3 of everything. And wasn't one of the two stars. I can see both sides on this issue. Legally entitled, yes? Should you be happy with the millions you're making, and not be a dick? Well, yes as well. I wish they'd given him one last chance(or maybe done a tour without him, to show him that they meant business). "This is it, pal. No more crying, or you're out for good". I always thought that he smoked Joe Walsh. As a guitar player myself, Felder always came up with far more interesting solos than Walsh's "Johnny B. Goode"(boring, that everyone can play) solos.