Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
There's very little on ITM that doesn't hold up. Much of it is really very good. Some of the lyrics are cliche but the music and her voice are always spot on. What I love ,ore is that you can tell there wasn't much (if any) voice alteration. Her singing is there in all its imperfect perfection. My only real complaint about the record is that the acoustic version of friend was not included as a bonus track at the end. That version is better than anything on the entire album!

To this day, I'm in awe of how well most of the songs shine: Forgiveness; Giving it Back; So Sincere; Calumny; Anything is Possible.

I also love Liar and Bad Loser. Vituperative stuff!
Almost everything Christine did holds up. And that is because she writes good songs and the music is good. She would never allow a song to be released that is not up to her high standards. When she released her solo album in 1984 she did not embrace the synth pop of the mid 80's. While she can get dinged the songs were not so exciting but they definitely hold up. There is no dated sound that appears on most of her songs.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Almost everything Christine did holds up. And that is because she writes good songs and the music is good. She would never allow a song to be released that is not up to her high standards. When she released her solo album in 1984 she did not embrace the synth pop of the mid 80's. While she can get dinged the songs were not so exciting but they definitely hold up. There is no dated sound that appears on most of her songs.

Even her pre 1975 Fleetwood Mac songs!
Old 03-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLY View Post
Even her pre 1975 Fleetwood Mac songs!
I was listening to Why and Dissatisfied. And they sound fantastic...

The latter is so bluesy.. I love it.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I was listening to Why and Dissatisfied. And they sound fantastic...

The latter is so bluesy.. I love it.
Dissatisfied; I haven't listed to Penguin in...years and years.
I just played Remember Me. The one thing that just really struck me on that song was the brilliance of Bob Weston's guitar pinging away in the background. May need to give Penguin a few run-throughs this weekend.

I think blues is the thread that runs through all her music. On the surface a lot of her output (especially since 82 onwards) sounds really poppy. In a basic state I bet most of her material has the same sort of bluesy nucleus.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 03-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I think blues is the thread that runs through all her music. On the surface a lot of her output (especially since 82 onwards) sounds really poppy. In a basic state I bet most of her material has the same sort of bluesy nucleus.
I can hear a blues beat even underneath the glossy, easy-listening production of "Got a Hold on Me." The verses in particular.

What she does so effectively on ITM is bring some of the "bluesy nucleus" to the foreground. "Bad Journey"; "Anything is Possible"; "Forgiveness"; and "Friend" all have prominent blues- or boogie-based elements. And these are, in my opinion, the best tunes on the album.