Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default 1968 Chicken Shack video

I found this last night and thought I'd share. It's Chicken Shack's cover of an old Freddie King song. The footage is mostly of Stan, but there are some good shots of Christine. I don't think I have seen an earlier performance--especially in color!

http://youtu.be/DtoKnQROnmU
Old 06-30-2013, 09:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow!

As far as I know, this is the earliest live footage of Christine, and such good quality, too.

Thanks so much!!
Old 06-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Holy Crap! Awesome visual and sound quality. And the version they do here is better than the album version. I prefer Christine's "medium cool" organ over the piano (at least on this track) and Stan's voice is toned down a bit.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And in color too. With her red top and lavender scarf. It's like the past is alive.

Michele
Old 06-30-2013, 07:20 PM

Wow!!!! I love how much more active her keys are in Chicken Shack... So much more reserved in FMac.. Especially as the Rumours line-up emerged...
Old 06-30-2013, 07:22 PM

Thank you so much for posting EJB!!!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Wow!!!! I love how much more active her keys are in Chicken Shack... So much more reserved in FMac.. Especially as the Rumours line-up emerged...
I was noticing this, too. In the Mac she was determined to be a rhythm player, to root her playing through the bass and drums. In this clip, and on several tracks from the first two CS records, she is much more out front, playing more aggressively, but with taste.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I was noticing this, too. In the Mac she was determined to be a rhythm player, to root her playing through the bass and drums. In this clip, and on several tracks from the first two CS records, she is much more out front, playing more aggressively, but with taste.
Same goes for her session work Fleetwood Mac in those days, especially on Mr. Wonderful.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Same goes for her session work Fleetwood Mac in those days, especially on Mr. Wonderful.
The piano on Rollin' Man, Love that Burns, and Lazy Poker Blues is incredible.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wonderful footage! Superb picture quality, too.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is wonderful! She was just 25 years old here, but elegant and charming as ever..and in color too!
Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Lover View Post
This is wonderful! She was just 25 years old here, but elegant and charming as ever..and in color too!
I loved the fact it was in color!!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I loved the fact it was in color!!
So you can admire her lovely complexion and her beautiful and soft golden hair!
Old 10-17-2016, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

i'd just been watching another chicken shack live video, which made me reply to this old thread.

vintage shack footage is truly few and far between, especially from the days with christine. for those who don't know it: this one is said to be from april '69 (recording and/or broadcasting), probably in paris, and it's pro-shot in b&w with great picture and sound for that age. the fact that dave bidwell's drums are placed behind the kit from power trio "the gun" implies that chicken shack were opening for them that night. (but they're greeted by the audience with enthusiastic applause anyway.)

i'd already read ages ago (i was too young to ever see them in person) that way more than the records displayed it was stan webb's show first and foremost. but here it was his show ONLY - not one song featured christine on vocals, the poor girl wasn't even allowed one single solo, can you imagine that?! so the shortcomings of stan's vocal and guitar mannerisms are unnerving upfront. though this may not be too surprising - with christine being such a great blues pianist and andy silvester / dave bidwell hardly coming up second behind fleetwood and mcvie as a top notch rhythm section in that musical vein, stan webb was definitely doing himself a disservice with his ego.

what i'd like to know from people who personally saw them in concert: have you experienced similar circumstances? seems like christine would've only got permissioned a slice of the spotlight at all if stan needed a breather or a pint. any replies are warmly welcome!

but to end on a high note concerning said footage: to see moving pictures of christine in those days and to hear her great blues piano playing in a live setting (thank god she's pretty prominent in the sound picture here and in principle soloing all over the place) is a rare thing and absolutely rewarding, regardless!

p.s. the setlist of that show:
(unknown first song)
lonesome whistle blues
night life
worried about my woman
hideaway
Old 10-17-2016, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy poker View Post
i'd just been watching another chicken shack live video, which made me reply to this old thread.

vintage shack footage is truly few and far between, especially from the days with christine. for those who don't know it: this one is said to be from april '69 (recording and/or broadcasting), probably in paris, and it's pro-shot in b&w with great picture and sound for that age. the fact that dave bidwell's drums are placed behind the kit from power trio "the gun" implies that chicken shack were opening for them that night. (but they're greeted by the audience with enthusiastic applause anyway.)

i'd already read ages ago (i was too young to ever see them in person) that way more than the records displayed it was stan webb's show first and foremost. but here it was his show ONLY - not one song featured christine on vocals, the poor girl wasn't even allowed one single solo, can you imagine that?! so the shortcomings of stan's vocal and guitar mannerisms are unnerving upfront. though this may not be too surprising - with christine being such a great blues pianist and andy silvester / dave bidwell hardly coming up second behind fleetwood and mcvie as a top notch rhythm section in that musical vein, stan webb was definitely doing himself a disservice with his ego.

what i'd like to know from people who personally saw them in concert: have you experienced similar circumstances? seems like christine would've only got permissioned a slice of the spotlight at all if stan needed a breather or a pint. any replies are warmly welcome!

but to end on a high note concerning said footage: to see moving pictures of christine in those days and to hear her great blues piano playing in a live setting (thank god she's pretty prominent in the sound picture here and in principle soloing all over the place) is a rare thing and absolutely rewarding, regardless!

p.s. the setlist of that show:
(unknown first song)
lonesome whistle blues
night life
worried about my woman
hideaway
She was hired as a sideman. Her own vocal ability was kind of an after thought until fans and the press began remarking how incredible she sounded. Stan was, by all accounts, an entertaining guitarist, but his work has not aged well and much of it seems shallow and silly alongside Clapton, Green, and Kirwan's. Without Christine, The Chicken Shack were mediocre. Even in the clip above, Christine's organ is one of the most accomplished aspects of the music. She doesn't over play, but what she plays is rhythmically and harmonically interesting. The bass and drums are unexceptional.