Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I always love the songs people hate the most.
Love:
Mystified (amazing harmonies and a island feel)
Honey Hi (closing harmonies are sublime)
You'll Never make me cry ...simply beautiful
One More night....love it, and Stevie and Lindsey's yearning harmonies
Only over you...I'm a sucker for FM's harmonies, they are awesome on the fade out
Wish You were here....love it

Don't love, but don't hate

Sugar Daddy
Don't Stop...just am sick of it, that's all
Some of the stuff from Behind the Mask..eh..except for the song BTM...it's GREAT.
Never heard Time...couldn't bring myself to listen
Wow, we have so much in common!! spot on.. spot on!!
Old 10-10-2013, 10:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually love most of the songs on your list. Except maybe Only Over You, but the others I love.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post
Yeah, really. If that was an issue, Stevie would have zero fans.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySorcerer View Post
I need to add "One More Night." I've tried to get into it, but it's just blah.
Almost all of her songs are this way for me. Or maybe, they're just too lightweight for me from a lyrics or subject matter perspective. I especially hate "Everywhere" for this reason, plus because the music is so "blah" and wimpy. That's ok for a song here or there, but most of hers are that way. Lightweight lyrics plus wimpy music is just not what I listen to music for.

The others I really just cannot stand for the same reasons are "Save Me" and "Got A Hold On Me", and especially "Skies The Limit", which I think I can safely say is my least favorite ever, or at least it's tied with "Everywhere".

There are exceptions, though.

I always liked "Oh Daddy", but when I heard her say that she's being sarcastic in it, then I started really, really loving it! It's one of my favorite songs on Rumours. And I love "Over My Head", and "Wait and See" from the first solo album, and "The Smile I Live For" from the 1984 solo album.
And I don't get the hate for "Little Lies". At least she has something to say in that one, other than the usual "I'm so in love and life is just so wonderful and I'm just Suzy Sunshine" theme.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I always love the songs people hate the most.
Love:
Mystified (amazing harmonies and a island feel)
Honey Hi (closing harmonies are sublime)
You'll Never make me cry ...simply beautiful
One More night....love it, and Stevie and Lindsey's yearning harmonies
Only over you...I'm a sucker for FM's harmonies, they are awesome on the fade out
Wish You were here....love it

Don't love, but don't hate

Sugar Daddy
Don't Stop...just am sick of it, that's all
Some of the stuff from Behind the Mask..eh..except for the song BTM...it's GREAT.
Never heard Time...couldn't bring myself to listen
I love Never Make Me Cry! I'll fight anyone who doesn't. It's one of the best parts of the Tusk doc. http://youtu.be/C-caXvJUOrk?t=37m31s
Old 10-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
And I don't get the hate for "Little Lies". At least she has something to say in that one, other than the usual "I'm so in love and life is just so wonderful and I'm just Suzy Sunshine" theme.
The thing is, Christine is very, rarely Suzy Sunshine at all. So, I don't get that criticism. A song like YMLF or Love in Store are exceptions. To me, most of her songs are about loss and yearning or accepting less than the heart wants and needs. I wouldn't even call Songbird a happy song. It's more about release after great pain than it is about joy.

Michele
Old 10-10-2013, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

True. Almost all of her songs have this rather dark undertone to it amidst all the seemingly happy, upbeat melodies.

And quite a few really showcase her sense of humor a lot, like Sugar Daddy for example.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
True. Almost all of her songs have this rather dark undertone to it amidst all the seemingly happy, upbeat melodies.

And quite a few really showcase her sense of humor a lot, like Sugar Daddy for example.
I like when she says, "Gots to get outta here" at the end of Hollywood..
Old 10-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Fleetwood Mac was never a hip band, but they became fatally uncool after “Don’t Stop” played at the finale of the 1992 Democratic National Convention. And yet some kind of “Over My Head” memory turned a switch (I hadn’t listened to it in years) and to my everlasting shame I immediately bought it on iTunes.
All this hand-wringing about what will happen to one's cred if one dares to like the "wrong" kind of music ... I'll never understand it.

Anyway. There aren't a lot of Christine songs I hate, actually I can't think of any, even some that bug me (like her Mirage songs and "Everywhere") can do so because they're so close to being songs I could love. But "Never Make Me Cry" might be the one song that's just the hardest for me to give any kind of **** about. Some of her 90's stuff feels very bland but makes me seriously wonder if maybe different production would help? Although I think "Skies the Limit" is just not for me.

OTOH ... at one point -- specifically, when I was a teenager and didn't know Fleetwood Mac beyond the radio hits -- "Don't Stop" would've been my first answer. I thought it was so ineffective and had no interesting angle. Now I think it's a lot of fun especially to sing along to. I've also come around on "Brown Eyes" a total 180 degrees.

I generally like Christine Perfect (I dig the guitar on "When You Say") and In the Meantime (there's two or three I skip but I still like them more than the stuff I skip from the 80s and 90s) but I've never listened to Christine McVie or the entire Chicken Shack albums so that should qualify my opinion.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
All this hand-wringing about what will happen to one's cred if one dares to like the "wrong" kind of music ... I'll never understand it.
I know. As a kid I was always mocked for liking uncool music. Even by my own mother. I used to wash the dishes with an oldies station playing and my mom would come in and say, "Why are you listening to that? That's before MY time?" And people who didn't even know me thought they had the right to comment on my musical tastes, saying I needed "to grow out of that." It was annoying, to say the least.

Michele
Old 10-21-2013, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In my high school, kids were still worshipping Zeppelin and cheering on the metal acts, like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath. The girls liked Journey and Def Leopard. Rush was acceptable. My obsession with Fleetwood Mac made me an easy target for ridicule. But I held my ground. I especially caught heat for buying the Stevie solo albums. So uncool for a guy, unless he was gay, and I was, so I was pretty much a freak anyway. Funny thing is' today' so many of my childhood friends text me or email me or facebook me to say they think of me anytime they hear the Mac. I think that's a complement.

There's very little Christine I don't like. A handful of bland numbers from the 84 solo album, Skies the Limit, All Over Again, the vocals on Morning Rain and Homeward Bound...
Old 10-21-2013, 04:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
In my high school, kids were still worshipping Zeppelin and cheering on the metal acts, like Judas Priest and Black Sabbath. The girls liked Journey and Def Leopard. Rush was acceptable. My obsession with Fleetwood Mac made me an easy target for ridicule. But I held my ground. I especially caught heat for buying the Stevie solo albums. So uncool for a guy, unless he was gay, and I was, so I was pretty much a freak anyway. Funny thing is' today' so many of my childhood friends text me or email me or facebook me to say they think of me anytime they hear the Mac. I think that's a complement.
We had the exact same experience, growing up!

And high school friends still call me too, after hearing FM on the radio.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:44 PM

My favorites were Christine McVie and Joni Mitchell. And I was on the football team. I had to endure Motley Crue, Guns and Roses, and a bunch of other horrible music that did not interest me in the least.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird View Post
I generally like Christine Perfect (I dig the guitar on "When You Say")
Hey! Somebody make a note of it: on this day, someone on the Ledge said they liked something about "When You Say" (a rare occurrence indeed!).
Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
There's very little Christine I don't like. <snip> ... the vocals on Morning Rain and Homeward Bound...
I agree about the vocal on "Morning Rain," but I've never had any objection to the vocal on "Homeward Bound" (the song that in my opinion is Christine's lost classic). What is it about the vocal on "HB" that you don't like?