User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuigirl View Post
Sarah..I was suggesting in my post, that in fact the mainstream, have accepted his "quirky" voice because UTS is full of it, and it's proven to be reasonably popular, sales wise, I think (I guess, I'm right there, I don't know for sure,it's not my cup of tea and I haven't got it).
I'm holding out for a better album, next time around...whenever that may be.(fingers crossed)
Well if Under the Skin is considered a mainstream success, then that completely changes the whole argument. It sold what, 50,000? If that? There is no question he could match those sales with a rocking album, since surely the people who bought a Lindsey solo album two years ago will buy one now. And a rocking album is almost guaranteed to be more radio friendly.

There have got to be 50,000 on the planet that are accepting to funny voices, but whether that constitutes the masses is up for debate.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He doesnt have to change his style to what's popular now. He could perhaps put out an album that was remotely interesting tho.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari View Post
I don't know, I never liked artists who only tried to please the masses, to make the music that sells well.
I prefer those who stick to their own style / taste and try to be the best at that. Because you can tell their hearts are in it, rather than $$ signs in their eyes!

I think it's disrespecting to the listener to make music you think will please them. They can make up for themselves what they want to listen to. If they get the ff-ing choice!

I'm all for diversity, not yet another band sounding just like the former.

and those aren't exactly indie bands you name, are they
I agree! Also people need to face up to the fact that Lindsey's never going to be a big mainstream act, no matter how much they love him. He's too old, and he's hasn't got the cred or the fanbase of Neil Young or Bob Dylan. Honestly, we should just be happy he's making records, not care about whether he's played on the radio.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I don't give a damn about the masses, as long as he pleases me.
Old 07-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
It takes a song that differs from the mainstream to appeal to the mainstream? Sort of the definition of contradiction there.
So was Tusk, when it came out as a single, and went top ten.

I mean: if you want to win a bigger audience, you have to relate to the "mainstream-alternative-audience". People that accept Bright Eyes, Queens of the Stone Age, Ryan Adams, White Stripes. Mainstream quirkyness. Yes that sounds as a contradiction, but there's a huge market there, love.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

But wouldn't it be great to say "told you so" to all the people who jump on the lindsey bandwagon after he's releadse an interesting album that goes to at least the top 10.

I cant believe after all the critics raving reviews that people havent copped on.

And I certianly dont believe he's too old and he definately dosent believe hes too old. Sure he planning on "staying around as long as he can"

He need to release a rock album and the remaining gift of screws in back to back succession. Whilst appearing on more music mag covers....namley Rolling Stone

Then he needs to do tour the UK and Europe before the end of 2008, however he could be doing with a decent back up band to perform before he goes on.

A bit of Media Hype is only minor hurdle.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuigirl View Post
Sarah..I was suggesting in my post, that in fact the mainstream, have accepted his "quirky" voice because UTS is full of it, and it's proven to be reasonably popular, sales wise, I think (I guess, I'm right there, I don't know for sure,it's not my cup of tea and I haven't got it).
I'm holding out for a better album, next time around...whenever that may be.(fingers crossed)
I see what you're saying. But, in my view, realistically, there isn't any Soundscan data to back that up. I don't subscribe, so I can't check the actual number, but in an interview (Mark & Brian, I think?) Lindsey said something about 13,000 copies. To me, 13,000 of any one single object is a lot. In the world of mainstream music, it really isn't.

I love UTS, so every time we get an article about it, I'm glad to see other people realizing Lindsey's genius outside of Fleetwood Mac. And it was really great to see him included in the -06 end of year lists and stuff like that. But I'm afraid that even that doesn't translate into mainstream acceptance. Hell, I've seen a lot of people on this board who can't digest UTS... and they're all familiar with his quirks. That doesn't give me much hope about the masses.

That's okay, though. Lindsey obviously lives comfortably and enjoys what he does. I don't feel a militant need, as a fan, to recruit more listeners. If someone who isn't familiar with his work can't just pick the records up and enjoy them, I have no desire to talk his music with that person. As such, I have no desire to see him change to suit that person. (I am not talking about you or anyone on this board at all, to be clear. I'm talking about Joe Schmoe on the street.)

Does that make sense? I'm having a hard time putting thoughts into words this morning.

As far as the GOS tracks go, sure it'd be nice to hear them all finished up. But I've heard them, am used to them, and like them the way they are. If he polished them and set them free, I'd enjoy them for sure... but he's said that he's been writing more stuff while he's on the road, and THAT'S what I want to hear on the next record. More, more, more!

And Tusk is a bit of a different situation. Tusk going Top 10 and somewhat appealing to the mainstream is part and parcel of the Rumours drama that had everyone interested, anyway. If it had really appealed to the mainstream, it would have sold more coming of Rumours coattails. (Again, not that 5/6 million isn't a lot, because it is a boat-load.)

Last edited by Sarah; 07-24-2007 at 11:10 AM..
Old 07-24-2007, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Tusk is a bit of a different situation. Tusk going Top 10 and somewhat appealing to the mainstream is part and parcel of the Rumours drama that had everyone interested, anyway. If it had really appealed to the mainstream, it would have sold more coming of Rumours coattails. (Again, not that 5/6 million isn't a lot, because it is a boat-load.)
I totally agree. Tusk was only a success because it was "the new Fleetwood Mac album, follow-up to the biggest album ever" not because it was so incredible. If not for Rumours, Tusk would have been an even bigger financial disappointment.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
I see what you're saying. But, in my view, realistically, there isn't any Soundscan data to back that up. I don't subscribe, so I can't check the actual number, but in an interview (Mark & Brian, I think?) Lindsey said something about 13,000 copies. To me, 13,000 of any one single object is a lot. In the world of mainstream music, it really isn't.
'twas 57,761 copies in the States by February, according to Hayley's info here: http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...2&postcount=33
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost View Post
Also people need to face up to the fact that Lindsey's never going to be a big mainstream act, no matter how much they love him.
Yep. Even Lindsey himself seems to have accepted it finally.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 07-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
I don't give a damn about the masses, as long as he pleases me.
Exactly! Oh, and ticket prices need to stay low. See, as much as I want him to get more noticed, I equally do not. Then ticket prices will go up, brokers will get really bad and I won't be able to see as many shows and get front row. It's a trade off. So, at this point, I'm happy Lindsey is getting more recognition, but not enough to screw with my concert experiences. (Oh, did I ever tell anyone that I was selfish? I am. )

Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
So was Tusk, when it came out as a single, and went top ten.
Following what Sarah and Ryan said, Tusk was the first (I think) single after Rumours. Of course people are going to want to hear it. Do you think it's just a fluke that all of his other bizarre music has been completely ignored by everybody on the planet besides his biggest fans since Tusk came out? Did they even like the other stuff on Tusk? Maybe at first they admired Lindsey for his bold move, but then the novelty wore off.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nicki View Post
Following what Sarah and Ryan said, Tusk was the first (I think) single after Rumours. Of course people are going to want to hear it. Do you think it's just a fluke that all of his other bizarre music has been completely ignored by everybody on the planet besides his biggest fans since Tusk came out? Did they even like the other stuff on Tusk? Maybe at first they admired Lindsey for his bold move, but then the novelty wore off.
it sold millions. people tend to forget that.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was talking about the quirkiness of tusk-the single. I'd love it if he brought out a single that earpiercing. That's the only way he could gain some new credit by people who don't know him and who are interested in quirkiness.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
it sold millions. people tend to forget that.
Sarah and those of us that actually read her post didn't forget. But I do believe we already explained that little phenomenon.

Actually we just explained the single's success. The album's success was also helped quite a bit by the commercially accessible members of the band. And the fact that it was 1979 and Fleetwood freaking Mac.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Didn't Lindsey say in an interview that he was expecting UTS to have sold 200,000-300,000 copies by summer? I'm pretty sure he said that in a couple of different interviews. That would be worldwide I'd assume.