Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-21-2018, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Turns 34 this year. Got A Hold On Me was burning up the charts this week in 1984 with a top 10 peak date of March 24.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Turns 34 this year. Got A Hold On Me was burning up the charts this week in 1984 with a top 10 peak date of March 24.
I remember you couldn't turn a radio or MTV on without hearing the words Christine McVie.

I'm glad the tour wasn't a blockbuster tour. I got to sit near her piano in a club while she played!
Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

One in a Million is my favorite. Such a great album.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieandChris View Post
One in a Million is my favorite. Such a great album.
I agree. Its what really made me buy the album. I think I have mentioned this before but I was out celebrating my 14th birthday with family and friends. I was in the department store looking at the album. The stereos in the store were tuned to the local rock station and as I hold the album in my hands they introduced One In A Million and I was blown away. I knew instantly I had to have that album. Violet and Blue was also released about the same time and sometimes they would play these songs back to back.
Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

A very solid album at the very least with at least three all-time 'best of' tracks. It does show a little of the '80s production sheen, but I don't think in a bad way at all, not anymore than Steve Winwood or Yes of the same time does. Stevie's Belladonna was so strong because of an excess of material she had in store, so I'd have to rate it higher, but Christine's '80s album isn't too far behind, and I think it's stronger than other Nicks releases of the decade. At the time I was very surprised when there wasn't another solo release from her at some point in the next dozen years.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
A very solid album at the very least with at least three all-time 'best of' tracks. It does show a little of the '80s production sheen, but I don't think in a bad way at all, not anymore than Steve Winwood or Yes of the same time does. Stevie's Belladonna was so strong because of an excess of material she had in store, so I'd have to rate it higher, but Christine's '80s album isn't too far behind, and I think it's stronger than other Nicks releases of the decade. At the time I was very surprised when there wasn't another solo release from her at some point in the next dozen years.
Christine stated she never wanted to do a solo album but Warner Brothers heavily persuaded her to do so. That is why she enlisted Todd to write a good bit of songs with her. She did not want to do it alone. You are right, the album does not sound very dated for 1984. I really liked her stepping out with some creativity writing and working with Todd. Looking back however I think the album would have been better if it was only 100% Christine songs. Its a very traditional album. Nothing fancy or high tech for 1984. It could have benefited from a little flash here and there.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I was just listening the album in my car. What impresses me most upon hear it now is how well it was recorded. I too believe more tracks needed to be written by Christine alone. The weakest part of the record (for me) are the three tracks that are sandwhiched between Got a Hold on Me and Smile I Live For.

One in a Million STILL thrills me when I hear it. Smile I Live For was the last track written and, presumably, the last recorded. According to Chris, she wrote it in Switzerland. It’s such a fantastic song—and it reminds me in mood and tempo of Carnival Begin.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I was just listening the album in my car. What impresses me most upon hear it now is how well it was recorded. I too believe more tracks needed to be written by Christine alone. The weakest part of the record (for me) are the three tracks that are sandwhiched between Got a Hold on Me and Smile I Live For.

One in a Million STILL thrills me when I hear it. Smile I Live For was the last track written and, presumably, the last recorded. According to Chris, she wrote it in Switzerland. It’s such a fantastic song—and it reminds me in mood and tempo of Carnival Begin.
The Smile I Live For is an amazing song. Its a song that Christine wrote around the title. I forget who but some woman close to Christine was talking about her significant other and there was a picture of him. The woman exclaimed "that is the smile I live for." Christine loved the phrase and asked the woman if she could use it in a song. Then Christine wrote a song around the phrase. Pretty cool stuff. Lindsey on guitar on the song is incredible too!!!!
Old 03-30-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
The Smile I Live For is an amazing song. Its a song that Christine wrote around the title. I forget who but some woman close to Christine was talking about her significant other and there was a picture of him. The woman exclaimed "that is the smile I live for." Christine loved the phrase and asked the woman if she could use it in a song. Then Christine wrote a song around the phrase. Pretty cool stuff. Lindsey on guitar on the song is incredible too!!!!
I play Carnival Begin and The Smile .. back to back.. I love BuckVie... Just incredible music..
Old 08-23-2022, 04:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
One quibble is fine. I can quibble right back. Attached are the lyrics. One verse...then chorus... then chorus again....guitar solo...then chorus again. I do agree the flow is different but I like it because its different. The song also has a country vibe which I found odd for her. I think some keyboard work could have also helped this song. This was a great video. Christine made fun of the ridiculous videos before it was cool to do so. One pet peeve is that Christine had the worst hair cuts for both her videos. She is so beautiful but her hair stylist was bad.

Verse 1
I don't fool around on my baby
And he don't fool around on me
And I know when I need him
He'll be there for me
Ooh and if he asks me some questions
Well, I don't tell him lies
And I don't have the need
The need for alibis

Chorus
I don't know how
Love will survive
But it's all right for now
Still I believe
Love will show us how
There must be a way
To keep it alive
And so keep our vows
And I believe
Love will show us how
Still I believe
Love will show us how

Chorus
I don't know how
Love will survive
But it's all right for now
Still I believe
Love will show us how
There must be a way
To keep it alive
And so keep our vows
And I believe
Love will show us how
Still I believe
Love will show us how
I happened upon my Christine McVie (1984) cd today and looked at the lyrics for "Love Will Show Us How." My initial impression (that there are two concise verses before the long chorus, rather than one long verse) is correct. On the lyric sheet there are the first four lines, then a space, then the second four lines--each quatrain is its own stanza. I knew this to be the case because there is a brief instrumental bridge between the two verses.

Not sure what lyric sheet you were consulting. Maybe you were looking at the original album sleeve? If so, the words are arranged differently on the cd package.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I play Carnival Begin and The Smile .. back to back.. I love BuckVie... Just incredible music..
That is like nine minutes of heaven right there.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:25 PM

Quote:
That is like nine minutes of heaven right there.
I finally get to know how the sun feels, every time it shines; but only when I listen to those songs back to back.
Old 08-23-2022, 06:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I finally get to know how the sun feels, every time it shines; but only when I listen to those songs back to back.
Those songs give me freedom in my mouth.
Old 08-23-2022, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Those songs give me freedom in my mouth.
I'd spit!
Old 08-23-2022, 07:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'd spit!
Yeah, freedom has a strange taste.