Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-17-2016, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Meaning of songs

Who knows what the Highwayman and the song Two kinds of love are about? I love her duets and the recent Bella Donna threads.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

On Rock Line in 1989 Stevie explained 2 kinds of love perfectly. She explained there really are 2 kinds of love.....one is lustful (the way that you watch someone walk and lust for them) and the other, the way that you love me. Its about being in love with someone and you lust after them (in the way that they walk cute way) and the way that you love them.
Amazing song and so cute how she merged the 2 together.

I never bought her explanation of Stand Back and the line being some "welfare line." IMHO Stand Back is the most ethnocentric and narcissistic song ever. Stevie is with someone but someone else catches her attention and its urgent fascination. Its ok to be "standing in a line". I feel she is saying she has so many admirers that she tells them "its ok to be standing in a line"
She just got married when she wrote this song convinces me even more. She did not love her husband and married him for other reasons. Stevie was clearly thinking of someone else (maybe Joe) to say....just wait awhile and I will be there (its ok to be standing in a line)
But of course Stevie would NEVER admit this like very few would. The coke would fuel any such feelings too.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
On Rock Line in 1989 Stevie explained 2 kinds of love perfectly. She explained there really are 2 kinds of love.....one is lustful (the way that you watch someone walk and lust for them) and the other, the way that you love me. Its about being in love with someone and you lust after them (in the way that they walk cute way) and the way that you love them.
Amazing song and so cute how she merged the 2 together.

I never bought her explanation of Stand Back and the line being some "welfare line." IMHO Stand Back is the most ethnocentric and narcissistic song ever. Stevie is with someone but someone else catches her attention and its urgent fascination. Its ok to be "standing in a line". I feel she is saying she has so many admirers that she tells them "its ok to be standing in a line"
She just got married when she wrote this song convinces me even more. She did not love her husband and married him for other reasons. Stevie was clearly thinking of someone else (maybe Joe) to say....just wait awhile and I will be there (its ok to be standing in a line)
But of course Stevie would NEVER admit this like very few would. The coke would fuel any such feelings too.
Probably not Joe; their relationship didn't spark until she was out on tour for the WH album and he was her opening act. Stand Back was written months before to get on the album. The original wording of the song and title was "Stranded". Stranded in the middle of my room I did not hear from you. It sounds more like her crushing on someone and wishing to be with them and not hearing from them or getting them to want to be with her. In this context the "it's alright, alright, to be standing in a line.." seems more about her being the one standing in a line, a line of women this guy has.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie said of The Highwayman

Quote:
My first knowledge of anybody else except outside of Fleetwood Mac was the Eagles, of whom, you have to realize, I've been singing along with forever on the radio, you know. And who am I to meet the Eagles? 'The Highwayman' is the highwayman of the road, the one that's always on the road, that sometimes gives to the rich and sometimes keeps it.

In 'The Highwayman", it says 'She considers slowing down, but then he
would never win. Enter competition, she chases beneath the sky, the pale and
violent rider.' It's like, you kind of half to let them be their dramatic
selves, and go with it, and not try to be anything else except an intelligent
woman with them, that accidentally happens to be songwriter, because if you ever
want to sit down and work with them, that's the only way you can be."

The old rogue - the highwayman, who traveled on the road, and you hear his little horse's hoof beats, you know, in the sparkling and shining night and you hope he drops by your inn with a glass of wine, the horse can be fed. Basically, a thief. Totally romantic. Probably die young. And every woman's fantasy, absolute. And the new highwayman, for me, is definitely the rock and roll musician who is always gone and always travelling, and, you know, lear jets in and lear jets out.

And you know, for me, I realized that in order to be a part of them at all, from the standpoint of being a songwriter, and not a woman, just a songwriter... that I would have to walk very quietly and be not pushy if I wanted ever to be accepted. So I decided to do whatever I had to do to get at least somewhat into their good graces, so I could learn from them. 'Cause I felt they had a lot to teach me. And when it says, 'And then she hears him coming, heartbeats on the wind... consider slowing down, but then he would never win...', she considers slowing down, because she has to let him win.

In order for them ever to get together and do anything, from writing a song to
being married, to just being good friends, due to the fact that she is not only
a writer, but she is also a woman. It's about what a woman in rock & roll has to
do to keep up with the men. It's their world. To be taken seriously a woman has
to walk softly and carry a big stick.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post

I never bought her explanation of Stand Back and the line being some "welfare line."
Yes, she said to Jim Ladd, "To be standing in a line, like a welfare line... to be standing in a line waiting to get money or something, to be standing in a line waiting... you'll be
standing in a line. It was another angry song!"

Quote:
I can't even really tell you what Stand Back is about. Stand Back's kinda about more than one thing. There was a lot going on when Stand Back was written so it kinda pulled together all the things that were happening so it wasn't about one thing. It was written very quickly and I really did hum along to Little Red Corvette.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gosh, I always thought it was very telling that Stevie wrote a song called Stand Back on her honeymoon- what could that imply? I really think the song is about her conflicted feelings about her marriage to Kim Anderson- "Said no to him again and again," "no one knows how I feel, what I say unless you read between my lines," "maybe your attention was more than you could do," and "well I need a little sympathy" all sound like a woman questioning her relationship.