The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Can A Perforated Septum Affect Your Voice?

http://www.ohniww.org/perforated-septum-affect-voice/

Will correcting the septal perforation change Stevie Nicks’s voice?

Fixing her septum will not worsen Nicks’s voice, nor did the perforation cause the changes in her voice. More likely than the perforation, the probable causes of her loss of range and change in quality are:

Cocaine: when cocaine is sniffed, it drips on to the vocal cords, causing chronic swelling
Rock singing: if not done carefully and with excellent technique, this can result in vocal scarring that is irreversible.
Aging: younger vocal cords may be able to “get away with” some of the behaviors (i.e., smoking, drug use, not resting, singing incorrectly) that over time will become unrecoverable. Vocal cords lose their ability to heal from injury with age.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Honestly, I think the one thing that ruined her singing voice (at least when she sings live on stage) was the decision to hire that damn "vocal coach".

Her recorded vocals have remained intact and I appreciate the fact she still takes chances in the studio with her higher register. The wails at the end of "ATBW" are magnificent, and her sweet falsetto tones in "Moonlight", "Sorcerer" along with the fact that she still knows how to manipulate different emotions within are sublime.

Live on stage, on the other hand...

Sometimes I feel like I'm attending a Fleetwood Mac or solo show just to hear Stevie yell at me. Nowadays, touring has become "Let's play it safe and make sure I can get through a whole tour" instead of "I'm going to sing it how I feel it regardless of the strain". It really is a double edged sword, isn't it? She's damned if she does and she's damned if she doesn't.
Old 08-19-2016, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Really Stevie, fix that hole in your nose. According to the doctors it won't affect your voice, but it may give you more resonance. What does she have to lose? Perhaps she has no trust in doctors since her bad experience with Dr. Klonopin??????
Old 08-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
Really Stevie, fix that hole in your nose. According to the doctors it won't affect your voice, but it may give you more resonance. What does she have to lose? Perhaps she has no trust in doctors since her bad experience with Dr. Klonopin??????
He was a psychiatrist..I'm betting that Stevie has been seen by many,many medical doctors since then.

Old 08-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
http://www.ohniww.org/perforated-septum-affect-voice/

Will correcting the septal perforation change Stevie Nicks’s voice?

Fixing her septum will not worsen Nicks’s voice, nor did the perforation cause the changes in her voice. More likely than the perforation, the probable causes of her loss of range and change in quality are:

Cocaine: when cocaine is sniffed, it drips on to the vocal cords, causing chronic swelling
Rock singing: if not done carefully and with excellent technique, this can result in vocal scarring that is irreversible.
Aging: younger vocal cords may be able to “get away with” some of the behaviors (i.e., smoking, drug use, not resting, singing incorrectly) that over time will become unrecoverable. Vocal cords lose their ability to heal from injury with age.
As you have stated, Stevie's voice is affected by more than just a nasal septum performation. It's all the stuff you all mentioned. Stevie has mentioned her vocal cords had many tiny nodules or nodes (non-cancerous masses) growing on them from years of not taking care of her voice. It affects many singers. Here's what just 2 website says about voices:

Some of the common environmental and lifestyle factors that contribute to what your voice sounds like include pollution, an overly dry climate, smoking, drinking alcohol, or shouting/screaming too much. The vocal cords and larynx are like any other muscle in that they can be overused and strained, so, like most things, moderation is key when it comes to taking care of your voice.

The inevitability of aging will lead to a final, permanent voice change for most of us. After a lifetime of speaking, the vocal cords and surrounding tissue lose strength and elasticity, and our mucous membranes become thinner and drier. Known medically as presbyphonia, elderly voice change manifests itself through reduced volume and endurance, noticeable shakiness, and difficulty being heard. Ironically, at this age men’s voices will increase in pitch, while women’s will lower, in a kind of reverse adolescence.
-http://mentalfloss.com/article/50360...r-voice-sounds

Nodules and polyps cause similar symptoms (which Stevie says she has):
• hoarseness
• breathiness
• a "rough" voice
• a "scratchy" voice
• harshness
• shooting pain from ear to ear
• a "lump in the throat" sensation
• neck pain
• decreased pitch range
• voice and body fatigue
-http://www.asha.org/public/speech/di...NodulesPolyps/

Surgery for vocal cord nodules is not necessarily a benign procedure. Julie Andews lost her singing voice as a result of the "corrective" surgery. I don't think Stevie sings as loudly as she formerly did. Watch her the next time you see her on stage. She seems much more careful than the old days of belting out Rhiannon. Maybe she just turns her microphone up.