User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
I believe she did when they performed in Wembley.
She was there for the last night. Stevie dedicated Landslide to her and gave a nice little speech about how much she misses Chris.

I agree with the comments here that she may have just done the rehearsal and nothing else because she doesn't want to be pulled back in. If she'd done a Dublin show, the news would travel fast and there might be an expectation that she would then do others beyond the two she is purported to be playing at.

Having done the Maui show this year I'm not concerned about her ability to perform (relatively) nerve-free on stage, but it's the travel that throws her, I think. Even getting a ferry to Dublin can be a shaky experience for someone who's used to, at most, driving the 70 miles from Kent to London.

I hope she doesn't back out.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I agree with the comments here that she may have just done the rehearsal and nothing else because she doesn't want to be pulled back in. If she'd done a Dublin show, the news would travel fast and there might be an expectation that she would then do others beyond the two she is purported to be playing at.
Plus she probably misses her dogs.

Quote:
Having done the Maui show this year I'm not concerned about her ability to perform (relatively) nerve-free on stage, but it's the travel that throws her, I think. Even getting a ferry to Dublin can be a shaky experience for someone who's used to, at most, driving the 70 miles from Kent to London.
I totally agree. She's a self-professed homebody who doesn't like to travel from place to place. Plus the absence of alcohol and possibly cigarettes didn't help matters.

Quote:
I hope she doesn't back out.
This backing out talk brings out the worrywart in me again, to be honest. But I don't think she could back out of this one unless (and I hope it doesn't happen) she or someone she loves gets sick.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-22-2013, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Plus she probably misses her dogs.

I totally agree. She's a self-professed homebody who doesn't like to travel from place to place. Plus the absence of alcohol and possibly cigarettes didn't help matters.

This backing out talk brings out the worrywart in me again, to be honest. But I don't think she could back out of this one unless (and I hope it doesn't happen) she or someone she loves gets sick.
I honestly would not be surprised if she didn't perform at the London shows. It would be hugely embarrassing for the band if she didn't, but the mistake - in my opinion - was giving it the publicity which Mick and Stevie have given it. I understand that they did so because Chris offered to play and they are delighted and excited, but had there just been a Twitter rumour (like Maui) it would have given both Chris and the band the 'wiggle room' to allow her to cancel last minute.

Maybe it'll be fine, maybe she is happy to do two of the London shows and just doesn't want to be swept back into the Black Hole by doing others, but I do worry a little that the weight of expectation now - on Chris principally, but also on Mick and Stevie for having announced this to the world's media - might not sit well with Chris.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I honestly would not be surprised if she didn't perform at the London shows. It would be hugely embarrassing for the band if she didn't, but the mistake - in my opinion - was giving it the publicity which Mick and Stevie have given it. I understand that they did so because Chris offered to play and they are delighted and excited, but had there just been a Twitter rumour (like Maui) it would have given both Chris and the band the 'wiggle room' to allow her to cancel last minute.

Maybe it'll be fine, maybe she is happy to do two of the London shows and just doesn't want to be swept back into the Black Hole by doing others, but I do worry a little that the weight of expectation now - on Chris principally, but also on Mick and Stevie for having announced this to the world's media - might not sit well with Chris.
And I imagine there will be lots of booing and chants of "Christine! Christine! Christine!" during the September 25 and 27 shows if she didn't show up. I don't think their egos (yes all of them, including Chris' relatively small one) could handle that. The pressure would be immense on Mick, Stevie and especially Chris, though.

Old 09-22-2013, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
And I imagine there will be lots of booing and chants of "Christine! Christine! Christine!" during the September 25 and 27 shows if she didn't show up. I don't think their egos (yes all of them, including Chris' relatively small one) could handle that. The pressure would be immense on Mick, Stevie and especially Chris, though.
True, though Christine could just retreat to Kent, shut the gates and ignore the hooplah! (Though her recent comments suggest she might be a little fed up of doing that.)

I remain optimistic. She can sing Don't Stop with her eyes closed, hands behind her back, underwater. OK, the O2 is a big venue, but she had practice in Maui and it sounds as though she has rehearsed with them once or twice.

Hopefully it'll happen. If it does, and it's the last thing the five of them do together, that will be nice. I'm a Pink Floyd fan, and Live 8 was the best thing they did in about thirty years as far as I am concerned, because it showed that the four band members cared enough to get together and say goodbye to the fans properly (and to do good for a charity). If Chris does that in London, and never resurfaces again, I suppose we ought to be happy.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
True, though Christine could just retreat to Kent, shut the gates and ignore the hooplah! (Though her recent comments suggest she might be a little fed up of doing that.)

I remain optimistic. She can sing Don't Stop with her eyes closed, hands behind her back, underwater. OK, the O2 is a big venue, but she had practice in Maui and it sounds as though she has rehearsed with them once or twice.

Hopefully it'll happen. If it does, and it's the last thing the five of them do together, that will be nice. I'm a Pink Floyd fan, and Live 8 was the best thing they did in about thirty years as far as I am concerned, because it showed that the four band members cared enough to get together and say goodbye to the fans properly (and to do good for a charity). If Chris does that in London, and never resurfaces again, I suppose we ought to be happy.
I remain optimistic that it will happen as well. Nothing beyond that, but I hope it sparks a sort of creative output packaged in a jewel case. Maybe a solo album, or she should bring Lindsey with her and churn out that double act album I've pitched (see my thread the Lindsey forum). Let the studio fiends work together. Maybe she could teach him how to make a proper cup of tea and introduce him to Chocolate Hobnobs.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She was there for the last night. Stevie dedicated Landslide to her and gave a nice little speech about how much she misses Chris.
Is there video of this, I hope!
Old 09-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Is there video of this, I hope!
Sadly, none that I know of. We had reports here from one or two people who were there, but nobody seemed to have recorded the speech. I suspect they simply weren't expecting Stevie to say anything about Chris.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Shame. That would have been lovely to see.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Shame. That would have been lovely to see.
Agreed. I'd also have liked to have been there in 2003 when, again on the last night in London, they dedicated Landslide to her *and* Mick made a nice little speech about 'the fifth member of the band', who was 'somewhere out there' [at the soundboard(!)], before Don't Stop.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agreed. I'd also have liked to have been there in 2003 when, again on the last night in London, they dedicated Landslide to her *and* Mick made a nice little speech about 'the fifth member of the band', who was 'somewhere out there' [at the soundboard(!)], before Don't Stop.
I vaguely remember hearing about that.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I vaguely remember hearing about that.
Since then, I recall reading one of the sound guys (I think) saying that Chris was basically chain-smoking her way through the 2003 London gig, pacing around behind the soundboard. I suppose she may have been nervous at being back amongst the circus and perhaps afraid of being coaxed back in.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Since then, I recall reading one of the sound guys (I think) saying that Chris was basically chain-smoking her way through the 2003 London gig, pacing around behind the soundboard. I suppose she may have been nervous at being back amongst the circus and perhaps afraid of being coaxed back in.
I think I've heard about that. Guessing her relative lack of vices now and back then made her more jittery than ever. She's been sober for a couple of years at that point.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sadly, none that I know of. We had reports here from one or two people who were there, but nobody seemed to have recorded the speech. I suspect they simply weren't expecting Stevie to say anything about Chris.
Didn't we have this same issue during Unleashed? I thought Stevie said something very nice about Christine, who was in the audience, during the intro to Landslide. I recall that we waited for video to surface and, to my knowledge, it never did.

Come on Ledgies, all Landslide dedications need to be recorded during these next few shows!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm expecting a dedication in the first London show.