User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back
Cool Drag queen impersonates Stevie and gets sent home

Last night on Rupaul's Drag Race All Stars was Diva Night. Rupaul assigned the queens Divas to impersonate. The queen that got Stevie loved Stevie but unlike the other divas Stevie is really hard to make funny and does not walk the stage dancing and singing. In the end they sent Stevie home. They made the other queens say funny lines. Its hard to make Stevie funny if you really want to keep the authentic character of Stevie.
Here is a sneak peak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbJAnxhGOc
Old 02-02-2018, 07:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Last night on Rupaul's Drag Race All Stars was Diva Night. Rupaul assigned the queens Divas to impersonate. The queen that got Stevie loved Stevie but unlike the other divas Stevie is really hard to make funny and does not walk the stage dancing and singing. In the end they sent Stevie home. They made the other queens say funny lines. Its hard to make Stevie funny if you really want to keep the authentic character of Stevie.
Here is a sneak peak
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbJAnxhGOc
Honestly the guy did a poor job of even trying to impersonate her. I think the look was pretty spot on but he was so whiny and complained about everything. He didn't do her justice. I loved it when he said Stevie wasnt a gay icon...and Ru Paul immediately corrected him. He deserved to go home.
Old 02-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Honestly the guy did a poor job of even trying to impersonate her. I think the look was pretty spot on but he was so whiny and complained about everything. He didn't do her justice. I loved it when he said Stevie wasnt a gay icon...and Ru Paul immediately corrected him. He deserved to go home.
You may call it whiny but I think it was the most difficult of all the divas. I think its fair and objective to point out Stevie is a different kind of diva than the rest of them. Stevie does not group dance like Janet Jackson or carry a cordless microphone dancing across the stage. So I think some handicapping of the impersonation is in order. I believe any other of the queens doing Stevie would have suffered the same fate.
Stevie may have been a gay icon but not like Diana Ross and the others. In the late 90's when A Night of a 1000 Stevie's came out, Stevie did not embrace the idea. Around the second or third event Stevie said it was "really scary."
So I get what the queen meant and tried to portray. In addition Stevie does her show not prancing the stage but in front of a wired microphone.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You may call it whiny but I think it was the most difficult of all the divas. I think its fair and objective to point out Stevie is a different kind of diva than the rest of them. Stevie does not group dance like Janet Jackson or carry a cordless microphone dancing across the stage. So I think some handicapping of the impersonation is in order. I believe any other of the queens doing Stevie would have suffered the same fate.
Stevie may have been a gay icon but not like Diana Ross and the others. In the late 90's when A Night of a 1000 Stevie's came out, Stevie did not embrace the idea. Around the second or third event Stevie said it was "really scary."
So I get what the queen meant and tried to portray. In addition Stevie does her show not prancing the stage but in front of a wired microphone.
I agree with this. She is definitely is not as easy to impersonate as some of these others. However, he said he was a fan so, in my opinion, he should have been a bit more enthusiastic. I could tell from the time they said he was going to impersonate her that he would be going home. They should have let them lip sync to a small clip of actual songs by those divas instead of whatever song that was they performed. Was that Ru Paul singing that song and trying to sound like each of these women?
Old 02-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I agree with this. She is definitely is not as easy to impersonate as some of these others. However, he said he was a fan so, in my opinion, he should have been a bit more enthusiastic. I could tell from the time they said he was going to impersonate her that he would be going home. They should have let them lip sync to a small clip of actual songs by those divas instead of whatever song that was they performed. Was that Ru Paul singing that song and trying to sound like each of these women?
I don't know who was singing the songs. But some of the divas had an advantage because of comedy. The Mariah Carey diva was so funny because of what she was saying. Of course Stevie did not sound like Stevie and does not crack jokes.
They should have let them have total creativity and let them create their own video to whatever song they wanted instead of having someone tell them what to say. The Stevie joke at the end "I am dizzy" really was not funny at all.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

God, that Stevie drag queen was awful!! And she ends with "Ru, I'm dizzy". ? Blech!
Old 02-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
God, that Stevie drag queen was awful!! And she ends with "Ru, I'm dizzy". ? Blech!
Those were not her words. She lip synced like everyone else. The show created the voices and songs for them to lip sync to. That dizzy part was supposed to be a joke and it was lame.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs down Wtf!

Consideration for others would dictate that the OP would post the term (spoiler alert) in the Title after "Drag Queen Impersonates Stevie" and then post the result in the Message. It was rude and inconsiderate to post the result of the competition in the Title.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
Consideration for others would dictate that the OP would post the term (spoiler alert) in the Title after "Drag Queen Impersonates Stevie" and then post the result in the Message. It was rude and inconsiderate to post the result of the competition in the Title.
WTF? Are you for real? You have no idea what you are talking about. Its obvious you did not watch the show and have no context. The drag queen for the entire show loves Stevie but knew she was going to be sent home because of it. The drama of the show was about how Stevie did not fit in this mix and the prerecorded track was not very Stevie. I thought she did a great job but there were too many barriers to overcome with the other divas. I posted the result because the only segment I could find did not tell any of the story of the challenge to do Stevie with the other pop divas. Its a reality show where someone gets sent home every week.

Your comment reveals total ignorance to call someone rude or inconsiderate for someone to post and share a factual thread. You don't contribute to the board but criticize others for sharing a simple video? Please grow up. You have brought the board to a new low.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-03-2018 at 02:47 AM..
Old 02-03-2018, 08:28 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
WTF? Are you for real? You have no idea what you are talking about. Its obvious you did not watch the show and have no context. The drag queen for the entire show loves Stevie but knew she was going to be sent home because of it. The drama of the show was about how Stevie did not fit in this mix and the prerecorded track was not very Stevie. I thought she did a great job but there were too many barriers to overcome with the other divas. I posted the result because the only segment I could find did not tell any of the story of the challenge to do Stevie with the other pop divas. Its a reality show where someone gets sent home every week.

Your comment reveals total ignorance to call someone rude or inconsiderate for someone to post and share a factual thread. You don't contribute to the board but criticize others for sharing a simple video? Please grow up. You have brought the board to a new low.
Pretty close to the response I would have expected.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I think annabellee was just upset that the ending of the show was revealed in the thread title, that's all. She/He probably hadn't seen the episode yet and was just disappointed that the ending was given away. They weren't complaining about the information being posted, just probably would have preferred the "and get's sent home" left out of the title, and then the word "spoilers" included in the first line of the thread. I guess it's kind of like finding out the end of a movie that you can't see on opening night, or who wins the Superbowl before you get home from work and can watch it on your DVR. Personally, I like to put things in perspective and wouldn't get upset, but I get it. When I used to watch Survivor I would stay off the internet on Finale night just to avoid finding out the winner until I could watch when I got off of work.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I am guessing Annabellee had not watched the programme yet......
She didn’t want to know who had been sent home..
That’s all, No big deal.
Paleshadow is right, a warning could have been given.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleshadow View Post
I think annabellee was just upset that the ending of the show was revealed in the thread title, that's all. She/He probably hadn't seen the episode yet and was just disappointed that the ending was given away. They weren't complaining about the information being posted, just probably would have preferred the "and get's sent home" left out of the title, and then the word "spoilers" included in the first line of the thread. I guess it's kind of like finding out the end of a movie that you can't see on opening night, or who wins the Superbowl before you get home from work and can watch it on your DVR. Personally, I like to put things in perspective and wouldn't get upset, but I get it. When I used to watch Survivor I would stay off the internet on Finale night just to avoid finding out the winner until I could watch when I got off of work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sue View Post
I am guessing Annabellee had not watched the programme yet......
She didn’t want to know who had been sent home..
That’s all, No big deal.
Paleshadow is right, a warning could have been given.
This is the case - I knew who was going home as soon as Thorgy was picked as Stevie. I don't get to watch the episodes until Friday because I don't get VH1. Sorry that I said it was rude, that was a tad harsh and after all, this isn't important enough to make someone else feel bad. I just was thinking that a spoiler warning was in order.

That being said - I wasn't impressed with the Stevie inspired look. She played it safe - almost Halloween costume Stevie. As a clown, she should've camped it up some more.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I did not like this interpretation of Stevie. You can see that the other contestants hammed up their performances but ultimately commanded the stage and paid tribute to the icons. This contestant appeared to be mocking Stevie the entire time, from the flailing arm movements to the "dizzy" bit at the end. I don't watch the show so I don't know how much control the contestant had if the voice track was prerecorded but I thought this was a real missed opportunity. Even the costume is a busy amalgam of many of Stevie's looks. If the contestant ditched the hat and added a microphone -even a cordless one! - the look itselfwould have been less distracting.

As for the criticism that Stevie does not have backup dancers and therefore there is less for the contestant to rely on... Stevie has had backup singers, particularly Lori and Sharon, for her entire solo career and they have been known to jam as wild as Stevie at times! Not to mention how Stevie grooves with her guitar players during the guitar solo in performances of Stand Back, for instance.

I never realized how much Stevie relied on her dance background on stage. What on earth was this queen doing with her fingers/hand???

Anyone who needs inspiration for Stevie's dance moves should look no further than the 1981 Gold & Braid video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9E03qFVxpk

From the crazy tambourine clapping and twirling, to Stevie's signature high kicks and deep squat with the microphone, to Stevie rolling her shoulders and shaking her hips, you would think that these stage antics would be golden to anyone attempting to parody or impersonate her.

Even though the Gold & Braid performance is not well known, you can see many of Stevie's signature moves in any live performance of Edge of Seventeen or Stand Back, her top solo hits. So I am confused about why this contestant felt Stevie lacked source material.

Look at how much fun the other contestants are having! This contestant looks miserable but could have had so much more fun with this as well.

Last edited by lilyfee; 02-03-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Old 02-03-2018, 05:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabellee View Post
I wasn't impressed with the Stevie inspired look. She played it safe - almost Halloween costume Stevie. As a clown, she should've camped it up some more.
Neither was I. I do think she was the hardest Diva to perform as in this way. It's a contest, and if you want to win you almost have to mock your idol in a way. Soooo, I think if it were me I would have come out with white powder on my nose and maybe spun a bit more. I think I would have played up the witch angle like the other contestant said, but then maybe pulled off my cape at the end and on my back have "I am not a witch" bedazzled on my shirt or something. LOL. Editing because I just thought of another prop. She could have come out with a fake white cockatoo!!!

Last edited by paleshadow; 02-03-2018 at 05:23 PM..