User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
This is just way beyond sad. I literally was thinking about how I truly expected some sort of reunion with Bob and the band in the near future or at the the very least a Bob/Stevie concert or tour. No exageration, the thought popped into my head on the 6th. He died the next day. This is easily the saddest I've been from someone in music's death. And i mean zero disrespect to the other 2 members of Fleetwood Mac who have died but this is clearly the first major blow to the Fleetwood Mac fan community.

I don't want them to attemp that whole fantasy multi era Fleetwood Mac concert now. It wouldn't make sense without Bob Welch.
I agree completely. The whole "all members" fantasy is now gone. Because the leader from my favorite era is gone. And I too, am deeply disturbed by his passing....thinking about the other member's mortality....and even my own. Life is short, and precious.

This truly feels like a HUGE chapter in FM history,....now is permanently closed.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
I'm not shocked.The media always had no respect for VIP people when they are alive.When they are gone then they will endlessly talk about them,Play their music,play their movies.
Let us be honest here though, this is the most discussion that has been had on the Ledge for anything Bob Welch related in my memory.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post

"He was a very, very profoundly intelligent human being and always in good humor, which is why this is so unbelievably shocking," he said.
I'm so sorry to say this especially since so many people are grieving, but I really do not like this statement from Mick, it just rubs me the wrong way. Is he saying only unintelligent people commit suicide? I know Mick fancies himself religious and has mentioned God (and faith) in interviews and songs (These Strange Times). Does he feel Bob is in hell? That for a highly intelligent person, it was a dumb thing to do?

If anything, I feel highly intelligent people tend to be the ones who do commit suicide or at least go there in their thoughts. It's so complex. Anyway, I am not trying to make trouble, just food for thought.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
I'm so sorry to say this especially since so many people are grieving, but I really do not like this statement from Mick, it just rubs me the wrong way. Is he saying only unintelligent people commit suicide? I know Mick fancies himself religious and has mentioned God (and faith) in interviews and songs (These Strange Times). Does he feel Bob is in hell? That for a highly intelligent person, it was a dumb thing to do?

If anything, I feel highly intelligent people tend to be the ones who do commit suicide or at least go there in their thoughts. It's so complex. Anyway, I am not trying to make trouble, just food for thought.
As someone who suffers from anxiety and depression issues but hasn't found a source to help me balance those issues, I feel like I can understand a bit of what Bob must have been going through. I mean, nobody truly knows but on some level I can understand. I feel it's shameful and wrong for anyone to judge those who've committed suicide. People believe that things like this are issues of mind over matter or having a more positive outlook on life. It doesn't work that way. The pain Bob must have been feeling inside for him to want to prematurely end his life had to be immense and he must have felt that he was beyond help. It makes you wish that everyone who cared about him could have have an inkling so we could have given him the proverbial pat on the shoulder and told him how much we all love him and the positive influence he and his music have made in all our lives. Even then though, that might not have been enough.

Matt
Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I can see why you might think that, but it didn't read that way to me. I just took it as Mick describing Bob and adding how shocking it is to his thoughts simply because he is shocked. I don't think he was trying to make a profound statement. People say things in these circumstances that aren't exactly thought out.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

^and also right after "intelligent"he said he was always in good humor, so maybe he meant that's why he couldn't believe it. Someone who appears to be happy would seem unlikely to commit suicide.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
^and also right after "intelligent"he said he was always in good humor, so maybe he meant that's why he couldn't believe it. Someone who appears to be happy would seem unlikely to commit suicide.
Great point. I'm sure, after reading it again, that is what Mick was referring to.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:32 AM
Junior Ledgie

So long Bob. You were awesome. Too bad people are only realizing it now. See Nick Drake's "Fruit Tree" for more on that subject. "They'll stand and stare...when you're gone".
Old 06-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle2677 View Post
I've read so many articles now, that they're a blur....

Was it in this thread, where someone posted that he'd become an invalid since his surgery, and that the doctors told him that he wasn't going to get better?
IF, and I say IF, that's true, then I completely understand his reasoning behind making the decision he did. I would make the same choice.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Well...ok, I can see your point, but when it comes to "statements to the press" things get misconstrued immensely.

All you have to do is go back to read Paul McCartney's initial statement in the press after John Lennon's assassination..."It's a bummer, man.". Yep, that was it. The depth of grief Paul was feeling at the loss of John was NEVER going to come out anywhere close to what he was actually feeling in words or print. So, I take Mick's comment on about the same level. What Mick & Bob went through together during those years and the obvious shock of the news of Bob's death...those feelings just are NEVER going to be expressed to the extent that they're felt...they're just entirely too complex.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Another article and quote from a friend about Bob not wanting to be an invalid/burden (as he felt his father was to Bobs mum).

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ys-friend.html
Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Can an invalid get out of bed and get a gun out of the gun cabinet?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I don't think he was necessarily an invalid yet -- it was determined that he would become that way, maybe pretty quickly. Wasn't his wife in bad health too?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Sure they can. We're talking about QUALITY OF LIFE, here. Apparently, his body was failing him, with no hope of recovery, and he made a choice to end it.

Steve is right, though(a few pages ago), that there are prettier ways to do it.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreaming View Post
I don't think he was necessarily an invalid yet -- it was determined that he would become that way, maybe pretty quickly. Wasn't his wife in bad health too?
Yes, Wendy has had poor health issues for years now.