Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Dust My Broom Evolution

[There's a great extensive article on the evolution of this song on the blog Jas Obrecht Archive, May 8, 2011, with accompanying pictures. I just excerpted the FM portion]

http://jasobrecht.com/dust-broom-story-song/

Dust My Broom, The Story of a Song

Elsewhere in England, others were drawn to Elmore James. In 1966, the Yardbirds performed “Dust My Broom” in concert and over the BBC, probably with Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page on guitars. (Following his stint in the Yardbirds, Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page would briefly join forces to record their instrumental “Tribute to Elmore.”) The Spencer Davis Group, with Steve Windwood providing vocals, did a rocking version titled “Dust My Blues” on the Autumn ’66 album. The following year, young Peter Green played the slide parts behind John Mayall’s vocals on “Dust My Blues,” for Mayall’s A Hard Road. In his next band, Fleetwood Mac, Green himself sang the song onstage, dialing in a killer rendition that remained true to Elmore James. [Author's note: Oops. See Charles Shaar Murray's comment below for a revision of this John Mayall, Peter Green, and Fleetwood Mac info.]

In response to the article someone commented on the blog:

Charles Shaar Murray said:
Beautiful job, Jas … another major contribution to the scholarship!

Just one tiny pointette — relating to Peter Green, John Mayall and Fleetwood Mac. Mayall himself played the slide guitar (one of his specialities) on the BluesBreakers’ version found on the A Hard Road album. And in Fleetwood Mac, PG’s original co-guitarist Jeremy Spencer — a MAJOR Elmore nut — did ALL the Elmore stuff, sliding and singing alike. (He was pretty much a one-trick pony, and imitating Elmore was his trick.)

In private, and in low-key situations, Peter G played beautiful acoustic slide — and you can hear him doing it a lot on the (much) later ‘comeback’ albums with Splinter Group as well as one a few ’60s rarities. But he never did it with Mayall, and hardly ever with F. Mac.

And The Yardbirds occasionally played BMB live (you can hear them do it on a collection of BBC airshots). However, by the time they went into the studio to cut the album later renamed Roger The Engineer, they’d written their own lyric … and called it The Nazz Are Blue.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

This piece perfectly illustrates the idea that a little knowledge is a bad thing - just about everything in the original article is incorrect -

To the corrections, I would add that Jeremy Spencer was far from a "one-trick pony" - this opinion would seem to be based on a superficial knowledge of his true contributions to the band - both on record and on stage - most likely based on the commercially available recordings.

Such a statement is similar to those who believe that Elmore James himself spent his enitre career performing variations of his original 1951 recording of the Robert Johnson song or that Bo Diddley only wrote numbers based on the "Bo Diddley beat"

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 05-15-2011, 11:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

I've heard this Dust My Broom twice. It's on one ZZ Tops' CDs. And I've heard it live maybe once, sung by the Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band (Noah Hunt, lead singer). And really I love hearing it sung live. It's a cool song.

Lee