Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Creative Process

Musicians in Tune -
75 Contemporary Musicians Discuss the Creative Process
Jenny Boyd Ph.D with Holly George-Warren.
Published by Simon & Schuster 1992

Chemicals and Creativity p. 200-201

Lindsey Buckingham now eschews alcohol and cocaine, but has found that marijuana can help put him into this other world, which he believes is beneficial to creativity: “Cocaine is not part of my style: I certainly have done my share, but I don’t buy it. I don’t like it: It’s not good for work. It might be good if you want to put yourself in the position of having to work twenty-four hours, but why do that? I work fourteen hour days [in my studio] and I don’t need cocaine to do that: I can just do it on natural energy.

I do smoke pot. That’s the one thing that seems to ... it’s not great for things like memory, but within the relative security of the studio, in the womb like atmosphere where I know what’s going on in there, it’s very helpful. It breaks down preconceptions you have about something; it allows you to hear it fresh. If you’ve been working on something for a few hours and you smoke a joint, it’s like hearing it again for the first time. You walk away for ten minutes and come back, and it allows you to keep coming back in for more and enjoy it. It seems to open a lot of the right-brain stuff. It seems to fire off a lot of things. For me, it’s tied to a certain ability to visualize. It puts you way inside it. I would imagine if you smoke a strong joint, it’s mildly psychedelic and it just puts you in touch with things. You journey inside. Things seem to come out of nowhere sometimes; it throws you a bit. You have to get unsure of yourself if you are going to break down preconceptions, if you are going to feel out of control. You’re never going to do a good piece of work if you’re just imposing your ego on something. But the other side of that, the alcohol, is something I’ve stopped doing. That and cocaine are not creative things."

First - I wish Jenny hadn't put the elipses in there and we could hear the rest of the quote.
Second - I found the quote about "ego" interesting. Isn't that what FM members accuse him of doing?

Last edited by Betsy; 04-09-2008 at 08:03 PM..
Old 04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very cool article. Thanks for posting.

Last edited by vivfox; 04-10-2008 at 10:41 AM..
Old 04-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Clever photo response.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Even as late as 1997 he did an interview saying he still smokes pot. Wonder if he's stopped since then.

Michele
Old 04-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Even as late as 1997 he did an interview saying he still smokes pot. Wonder if he's stopped since then.

Michele
Um, in the Destiny Rules doc. he is plainly lighting up and inhaling in one of the sped-up studio scenes. Plus, wasn't he also holding a joint (that was conspicuously "blurred out") in one shot. I don't know about now, but in 2002? Yeah.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL
Old 04-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

He said in one of the early UTS release-period interviews that he doesn't "drink or do drugs anymore" when talking about his family and how his life has changed. I dunno... there are lots of people who don't consider pot a "drug", so I guess that is up to interpretation.

What I do know is that I would die four hundred and twenty happy deaths if I had a chance to smoke out with Lindsey Buckingham. Holy ****, that would rule.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
He said in one of the early UTS release-period interviews that he doesn't "drink or do drugs anymore" when talking about his family and how his life has changed. I dunno... there are lots of people who don't consider pot a "drug", so I guess that is up to interpretation.

What I do know is that I would die four hundred and twenty happy deaths if I had a chance to smoke out with Lindsey Buckingham. Holy ****, that would rule.
And how many happy deaths to smoke out with the other members of FM?
It was probably the coolest thing in the world when I found out a few years ago that my time of birth is listed at 4:20 pm.

Last edited by vivfox; 04-10-2008 at 10:41 AM..
Old 04-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Um, in the Destiny Rules doc. he is plainly lighting up and inhaling in one of the sped-up studio scenes. Plus, wasn't he also holding a joint (that was conspicuously "blurred out") in one shot. I don't know about now, but in 2002? Yeah.
I love how you people have an eye for detail. It makes me watch videos over and over and be delighted at what I missed.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
And how many happy deaths to smoke out with the other members of FM?
It was probably the coolest thing in the world when I found out a few years ago that my time of birth is listed at 4:20 pm.
Hahaha.. I don't know, Lindsey would be my preferred choice. Stevie and Mick would probably start talking too much while John, Lindsey, and I were tryin' to chill out.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Hahaha.. I don't know, Lindsey would be my preferred choice. Stevie and Mick would probably start talking too much while John, Lindsey, and I were tryin' to chill out.
I'd take a drink in the corner with Christine.