The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Ledgie

Default Any news on the Blue Horizon reissues?

It was quite some time ago rumours started about Mike Vernon and Sony going to rerelease the compplete Blue Horizon catalogue.

Anybody with some info here. It has been awfully silent about these gems...
Old 05-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I figured I'd be old and gray by the time that actually happened.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have Dog and Dustbin.....and it *seems* to be remastered. It has extra tracks and stuff on it. When I go back to my apartment tonight, I have to look and see if it really is. I got it off Amazon.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Ledgie

Yeah, the Fleetwood Mac albums are remastered (the same versions as in the boxset I think). But what about all the other albums?!
Old 05-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
I figured I'd be old and gray by the time that actually happened.
Nah. The Blue Horizon stuff is still quite popular in Europe, and there's enough of a following with the Green material to give it the proper treatment it deserves. I think so long as the album has Peter Green or Lindsey Buckingham on it, an album will get the royal treatment. Which of course means that you shouldn't hold your breath on the "Kiln House" through "Heroes" stuff.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-27-2005, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydevil
Yeah, the Fleetwood Mac albums are remastered (the same versions as in the boxset I think). But what about all the other albums?!
I've heard nothing. I was looking for the Christine Perfect album & maybe some Chicken Shack stuff. I have a bad feeling that Mike Vernon has shelved the whole thing.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

All I can say is that at one point all of the Mac's Blue Horizon stuff, as well as Chicken Shack's "Fourty Blue Fingers...," "O.K. Ken?," and the Christine Perfect album were all issued on CD in Europe. I know, because I got my greedy little fingers on them years ago. Maybe Ebay might have something. I do remember talk about reissuing the whole lot, as well as other Blue Horizon albums. But I've not heard anything since. What I do remember about the Mac's stuff is that the albums were going to be the same as what was in the Blue Horizon box, just individually sold.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
All I can say is that at one point all of the Mac's Blue Horizon stuff, as well as Chicken Shack's "Fourty Blue Fingers...," "O.K. Ken?," and the Christine Perfect album were all issued on CD in Europe. I know, because I got my greedy little fingers on them years ago. Maybe Ebay might have something. I do remember talk about reissuing the whole lot, as well as other Blue Horizon albums. But I've not heard anything since. What I do remember about the Mac's stuff is that the albums were going to be the same as what was in the Blue Horizon box, just individually sold.
I already have the Christine Perfect album on CD. I got it on eBay years ago. But, Mike Vernon talked about a remastered version with bonus tracks. I also have those Chicken Shack albums on CD. But, something was mentioned about maybe some unreleased stuff, like their singles(which I don't have).
Old 05-28-2005, 10:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The entire Blue Horizon catalog, from Fleetwood Mac and Chicken Shack to Duster Bennett and Top Topham and the sessions done with American bluesmen such as Champion Jack Dupree and Bukka White, in addition to the original 3 CD "Blue Horizon Story" box set, and the long promised follow up to that, were supposed to start coming out last year.
Sony Music Corporation controls all the rights and it is not Mike Vernon who is holding up release. The material has been remastered and there promises to be a lot of previously unissued material on each.
I have seen artwork for the Duster Bennett "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" (a double CD) and also for the Champion Jack Dupree set (again, two CDs) and the word was that they were to be issued this past April. Obviously that never came to pass.
It seems as if Sony keeps holding off on releasing this material until they feel they have sufficient demand to justify the pressing and shipping of the discs.
A few of those LPs were released on disc, such as the Christine Perfect and the Chicken Shack material. The session Green, McVie and Fleetwood did with Eddie Boyd "7936 South Rhodes Avenue" was released on the "Beat Goes On" label, but it would be nice to have the single "The Big Boat" and "Sent For You Yesterday" included on the same disc.
Ironically, those two tracks were once part of "Pious Bird of Good Omen" but were deleted when the disc was remastered for the box set!
"Hip-O" a subsidiary of the Universal Group has been selling (at outrageous prices) special editions of material from the Chess catalog, available on line only - the "Rhino Handmade" would be another example - and if Sony does not believe there is enough demand to warrant traditional release, we may one day see this material become available with type of limited distribution.
Of course, that allows them to set the price and hold to it, but at least it would be available

All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead
E. Vedder
Old 05-28-2005, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
The entire Blue Horizon catalog, from Fleetwood Mac and Chicken Shack to Duster Bennett and Top Topham and the sessions done with American bluesmen such as Champion Jack Dupree and Bukka White, in addition to the original 3 CD "Blue Horizon Story" box set, and the long promised follow up to that, were supposed to start coming out last year.
Sony Music Corporation controls all the rights and it is not Mike Vernon who is holding up release. The material has been remastered and there promises to be a lot of previously unissued material on each.
I have seen artwork for the Duster Bennett "Complete Blue Horizon Sessions" (a double CD) and also for the Champion Jack Dupree set (again, two CDs) and the word was that they were to be issued this past April. Obviously that never came to pass.
It seems as if Sony keeps holding off on releasing this material until they feel they have sufficient demand to justify the pressing and shipping of the discs.
A few of those LPs were released on disc, such as the Christine Perfect and the Chicken Shack material. The session Green, McVie and Fleetwood did with Eddie Boyd "7936 South Rhodes Avenue" was released on the "Beat Goes On" label, but it would be nice to have the single "The Big Boat" and "Sent For You Yesterday" included on the same disc.
Ironically, those two tracks were once part of "Pious Bird of Good Omen" but were deleted when the disc was remastered for the box set!
"Hip-O" a subsidiary of the Universal Group has been selling (at outrageous prices) special editions of material from the Chess catalog, available on line only - the "Rhino Handmade" would be another example - and if Sony does not believe there is enough demand to warrant traditional release, we may one day see this material become available with type of limited distribution.
Of course, that allows them to set the price and hold to it, but at least it would be available
Thanks for the update. I thought Mike Vernon was the problem. Even if it's for an outrageous price, I would still want the Christine Perfect & Chicken Shack material just for the previously unreleased tracks.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynBlue
A few of those LPs were released on disc, such as the Christine Perfect and the Chicken Shack material.
So, these were re-released but have already gone in and out of print and are pretty much only on ebay? When were they put on discs?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
So, these were re-released but have already gone in and out of print and are pretty much only on ebay? When were they put on discs?
The Christine Perfect album was issued on CD in Europe & Japan in 1993. I don't think they pressed alot of discs. That's why those CDs are going on eBay for about $100 and up.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
The Christine Perfect album was issued on CD in Europe & Japan in 1993. I don't think they pressed alot of discs. That's why those CDs are going on eBay for about $100 and up.
Ah, they should have made more!!! Thanks for the info.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57

HOLY *****

Wow, I paid like $20 at a record show. Timing is everything!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD

HOLY *****

Wow, I paid like $20 at a record show. Timing is everything!

I transfered mine from record to tape. I like the crackles that a record produces.