The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let me see now, the Rolling Bones with much less artistic talent sell out everytime they play, with little or no new material. All of the little rockers who grew up with the Stones, Fleetwood Mac,The Eagles, Elton John and yes,”Little Michael Jackson” are all abbout 50 – 60, they run companies, have companies, investments and most importantly plenty of cash to spend on entertainment. Who in there right mind cannot see Michael’s estate earning much more over the next 25 years than Michael earned during his life. You think Elvis has made money in death, you ain’t seen nothin yet. I’m talkin billions with an “S”. Just think about advertising dollars. “This is IT!” and I will be one of the ones spending. He was truely a musical and performing genious, The best Jerry the best,and the money is going to flow, flow and flow as it will for Elton John’s estate and Madonna’s when they both leave us. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/ho...-first-5-days/
Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default This is old but don't recall ever reading it

Tim Walker
Published: 11:04AM GMT 11 Nov 2008

Fleetwood Mac wants to perform for Obama

Showing some foresight, Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac backed Barack Obama against Hillary Clinton even though the group performed at her husband's inauguration ball in 1993. Now he is hopeful the group will be asked back to play for Obama when he celebrates his arrival at the White House in January.

The band wants to perform for Obama Photo: Live "I would be delighted if we could do that again," Buckingham tells me. He concedes, however, that Bruce Springsteen is in pole position. "Especially as I see Bruce has already got himself the Superbowl slot next year," he adds, glumly.

He adds that he would be willing to play an outgoing song for President Bush and has already got one written. "It's called Treason and it's all about selfishness and greed," he says.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...for-Obama.html
Old 10-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

By Urmee Khan
Published: 11:35PM GMT 10 Nov 2008

The Democrat supporter has already played for one President, when the group performed at Bill Clinton's inauguration ball in January 1993.

Their song, "Don't Stop", had been used as a campaign theme by President Clinton.

But he was pithy about performing for the current Republican incumbent of the White House.

He said he would be willing to play a song for President George W Bush and has already got one written: "It's called Treason and it's all about selfishness and greed."

However, he said he is hopeful the group will be asked back to play for Barack Obama when he celebrates his arrival at the White House in January.

"I would be delighted if we could do that again," Buckingham told the Daily Telegraph's Mandrake. He concedes, however, that Bruce Springsteen is in a better position "especially as I see Bruce has already got himself the Superbowl slot".

Treason is on his solo album "Gift of Screws," which was released in October.

Fleetwood Mac formed in 1967. Buckingham was a 25-year-old Californian singer-songwriter in 1974 when English drummer Mick Fleetwood recruited him and Buckingham's then-girlfriend Stevie Nicks to what would become the definitive line-up of Fleetwood Mac.

The group is now talking about a tour next year: "We're talking about having rehearsals in January for a tour, which should start in March.

"But we're going to be sensible about it. There's going to be time off for family and for Stevie Nicks' voice.
"Hopefully the tour will spark us to make a record," Buckingham added.

"I love being in that band. We have such great chemistry. It's nice that I can go back with them after I have the opportunity to make my solo albums. I'm in a great position. I have my solo career, Fleetwood Mac and most of all, my family."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...d-Treason.html
Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks wrote the song "Sara" after her affair with Don Henley. Henley says that Nicks had become pregnant with their child and named the baby Sara. She later had an abortion and Henley claims the song was dedicated to the spirit of the unborn child.

http://www.popeater.com/2009/10/16/t...c-oversharers/
Old 10-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Please tell me your cry songs. Here are mine, that I can recall anyway…

Landslide - originally by Fleetwood Mac, but I don’t actually listen to this version. However, I’m sure that version would have the same effect, just like the Smashing Pumpkins and Dixie Chicks versions do. I couldn’t even tell you what about this song gets to me necessarily, but the part where it says “I’ve been afraid of changing cuz I built my life around you”…if I’m not crying by then, that line gets me anytime. I think I like the theme of the song, the struggle to expand and grow, yet knowing you’ll be leaving people behind. And if I am already feeling miserable, I will often just turn this song on in the hopes that it will make me feel better.

http://www.dorolerium.com/?p=802
Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Dollar Bin Jams: Fleetwood Mac - The Chain (DJ Apt One Edit)
By Gentlewhoadie Apt One
Fleetwood Mac - The Chain (DJ Apt One Edit). I made this on a whim in the airport a few weeks back. I played it at Philadelphyinz a few weeks back and it was the highlight of my night. Fleetwood Mac - The Chain (DJ Apt One Edit) ...

CLICK ON LINK TO DOWNLOAD THIS TRACK

Dollar Bin Jams - http://dollarbinjamsonline.blogspot.com/

Last edited by vivfox; 10-20-2009 at 09:23 AM..
Old 10-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cheryl Cole - Boy Like You (with Wil.i.am) (190 kbps)

I really wonder if Wil.i.am wakes up in the morning going “today I am gonna put a Miami bass beat over a Fleetwood Mac tune…just cuz. It’s so weird, it just might work.” And, on this second Cheryl Cole track, Boy Like You, it actually kinda does, in a sleazy way. I never thought Little Lies would be refracted and utilized as a backing track for a hip-pop duet, but yet, here it is, and I like it, alot. It’s jerky, and rough, and like Wil.i.am’s previous solo work and tracks for Fergie, the vocals are simply another instrument to tweak and finesse into laser precise fragments that act as ornamentation to his futuristic compositions.

http://creamteam.tv/?p=1529
Old 10-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Cheryl Cole - Boy Like You (with Wil.i.am) (190 kbps)

I really wonder if Wil.i.am wakes up in the morning going “today I am gonna put a Miami bass beat over a Fleetwood Mac tune…just cuz. It’s so weird, it just might work.” And, on this second Cheryl Cole track, Boy Like You, it actually kinda does, in a sleazy way. I never thought Little Lies would be refracted and utilized as a backing track for a hip-pop duet, but yet, here it is, and I like it, alot. It’s jerky, and rough, and like Wil.i.am’s previous solo work and tracks for Fergie, the vocals are simply another instrument to tweak and finesse into laser precise fragments that act as ornamentation to his futuristic compositions.

http://creamteam.tv/?p=1529

Thank you for the update on this!

Actually, given how many 80s songs of the ilk of Little Lies HAVE been used as backing tracks for hiphop tracks, I'm actually surprised that Little Lies hasn't been used yet. It seems to really lend itself to such use. That said: I can't stand Will.i.am, so I have not yet checked this out. He's clearly a skilled producer though.

ETA: Cole is a member of Girls Aloud!? Interesting... yet I wish Xenomania were producing. Sheesh they should work with the Mac...

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.

Last edited by TrueFaith77; 10-20-2009 at 08:42 PM..
Old 10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

An actual cover of "Little Lies" was released this year. Girl has a pretty voice.

"Little Lies" (track), Stupid Love by Mindy Smith (iTunes)

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

AVC: Where do you think indie-rock in general is going right now?

JC: In terms of sonic changes, it's not an original idea, but the best analysis—I wish I could remember where I read it—is that there are only two records. There's [The Beach Boys'] Pet Sounds, and there's [Fleetwood Mac's] Tusk. I think that's true right now. Right now, we're probably at a Tusk moment. But honestly, I basically say that because I don't listen to much music. One of the things that shocked me doing this is how much ****ing time these people spend listening to music. I literally don't understand how they find the actual time to spend with these records. Especially because I've got a backlog of 750 records that I have never listened to. Right now, I'm listening to All Things Must Pass [by George Harrison], because I never really spent much time with that record. I don't have time to go listen to Grizzly Bear or LCD Soundsystem. There are Elvis Presley records I've never listened to. I've lost that acquisitive impulse to find a new band. I think it's an age thing, where I've found enough music I like. I'm trying to think of the last band I'd never listened to before that I became a huge fan of. [Long pause.] Rilo Kiley, in 2003 or whatever. The other thing is, my acquisition of bands was always about going to a show, and I don't go to shows anymore for the same reason: I'm getting old, I don't have time anymore, I have a kid and all that stuff.

http://www.avclub.com/newyork/articl...ords-on,33545/
Old 10-21-2009, 09:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Talk about bringing out the big guns right away, the second speech of the entire event was sociologist and best-selling author Malcolm Gladwell, best know for his books The Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers (Umm, did I mention everyone in attendance was given an autographed, hard-bound copy of Outliers in their swag bag? Slightly cooler than a t-shirt.).

Gladwell spoke about his findings in his latest book, Outliers, which studied the backgrounds of successful individuals, looking for patterns that determine success. He used the band Fleetwood Mac as his example for this presentation. Most people (myself included) think of Fleetwood Mac as a band that emerged out of nowhere in the 70's with their eponymous "debut" album, which they soon followed with Rumors, one of the most influential and best-selling albums of all time (OF ALL TIME!). Well, turns out we're all wrong. Fleetwood Mac started in 1967 and released 15 largely ignored albums under a kaleidoscope of various lineups before finding success in 1975 with Fleetwood Mac.

http://www.seomoz.org/blog/conferenc...connections-09
Old 10-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The chairs were filled and as we sat down, a man who appeared to be a pastor in the front of the theater started blasting “You Can Go Your Own Way” by Fleetwood Mac. Turns out this sermon was part of a series of sermons using famous rock songs as the centerpiece around a message of the Bible. I could get in depth with the sermon, but I won’t, it wasn’t the most memorable part of the experience (Though hearing Fleetwood Mac blasted through a churches PA is probably something I’ll never hear again).

http://contagiousloveexperiment.word...ouble-feature/
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In 2008, Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson burst onto the scene as one of music’s most promising young songwriters. His eponymous debut was a gritty, heartfelt work of storytelling that highlighted—among other things—his time spent living as a homeless adolescent. Luckily for Robinson, he found friends on the streets that cared enough to help him get back on his feet. Certainly somewhat of a star-studded group of peers (Grizzly Bear’s Chris Taylor, Chris Bear, and TV on the Radio’s Kyp Malone) contributed to his brilliant introduction.

Malone lent a hand again on Summer of Fear, MBAR’s second full-length and first release on Omaha, Nebraska’s Saddle Creek. The followup album finds Robinson incorporating some outside influences into his music. Apparently, Tusk is a favorite of his, which makes sense; “The Sound” and “Hard Row” both float in Fleetwood Mac’s legacy of smooth, classic rock. Even “Trap Door” might have found its way onto a Mac album, though Robinson’s coarse vocals take it more into the realm of, say, Tom Petty. MBAR does have a way with words. The two-part “Summer of Fear” is a soaring example of this proficiency. However, the soapbox pulpit nature of “More than a Mess” seems a stroke heavy-handed. In the end, Summer of Fear finds a talented Robinson still looking for his true voice.

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...ummer-of-fear/
Old 10-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

CFCF's debut album Continent glides along as if soundtracking its own slick future noir film. There's the umbrella-less, lonely walk scene ("Raining Patterns"), the nightclub scene (the cover of Fleetwood Mac's "Big Love"), the hacking-the-mainframe scene ("Break-In"), the slow, ambiguous fade-out ("You Hear Colours"). It's no wonder the 21-year-old behind CFCF, Michael Silver, loves the Knife and Hollywood auteur Michael Mann (Heat, Miami Vice).

Based in Montreal, Silver's origin story mirrors that of many current producers: he started making music in his room, put it on MySpace, came up with a hit remix (Crystal Castles' "Air War"), and started collecting fans as far as the web can stretch. After two EPs, Panesian Nights and The Explorers, Continent is due out October 27 via Paper Bag.

http://pitchfork.com/news/36876-epit...others-albums/
Old 10-23-2009, 10:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow. Fleetwood Mac missed its calling as the most popular baby band of all time. This tot cries every time Stevie Nicks stops singing!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_332253.html

Click on link to see video of a baby that stops crying when Gypsy is played.