The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with many others here--In Your Dreams is probably her last solo outing, and I think there's a good chance for one last FM CD.

I disagree with the consensus on BN, though--I don't think it will ever happen, unfortunately. I won't be shocked if they put it on iTunes, but anything like a tour would stun me.
I don't get the feeling Lindsey and Stevie love touring together, so this isn't something they would do just for their own enjoyment. They would have to have strong financial or artistic motivations, and I don't see either of those.

A BN tour might do reasonably well financially, but it wouldn't begin to approach a FM tour. Sure, we would love it, but we're a pretty small section of their fanbase.

And while both have said for years that they'd love to see BN rereleased, I've never gotten the sense they see it as their best work--something that the public has to hear. They sound far more passionate about their recent work, solo and in FM. Even if they were to decide they have enough money and their sole goal is artistic fulfillment, both would find more satisfaction in playing new material than BN.

It would be nice to see them come full circle, and I think Stevie and Lindsey might find that aspect of it appealing. But ultimately, I think they'd choose another FM tour every time. I think money is the main motivator these days, and they're probably more comfortable touring with John and Mick anyway--both see Mick as an ally.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm so tired of the whole Buckingham Nicks mystique. It's been thirty ficking years of Fleetwood Mac audiences & radio DJs clamoring for it, & thirty years of Buckingham & Nicks promising to release it "one of these days," & thirty years of broken assurances & cock teases, & thirty years of clamoring for it all over again (accompanied by a career-capping tour). On & on it goes, endlessly, like the ebb & flow of the tide.

What a boring movie. When Fleetwood Mac tours these days, isn't that Buckingham Nicks?!

I don't even think the album deserves its artistic stature. I think the latter is almost wholly a function of its ridiculous & labyrinthine history. The album's style of orchestrating, the lack of punch in the recording of the drums, & the braying female lead vocalizing all make the whole thing sound like just an ordinary relic of hippies in the early '70s.

Sorry I can't care about it. Give me a live album from the late Tusk tour over Buckingham Nicks any day.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
& the braying female lead vocalizing all make the whole thing sound like just an ordinary relic of hippies in the early '70s.
Do you think she's braying? To me that connotes something that's overpowering and aggressive. I hear more mew than bray. What she's doing on BN is annoying and too high, to an extent, but my problem is that it doesn't seem fully formed. It's inchoate and doesn't realize the force that Stevie's voice really had back then.

Michele
Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post

When Fleetwood Mac tours these days, isn't that Buckingham Nicks?!
No, it's not the same. Not unless they do BN songs.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 PM
petep9000
This message has been deleted by petep9000.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Unless she becomes uncharteristically prolific, releasing several solo albums (perhaps with "vault songs") in the next few years, I don't see any new output from her after this solo album.

There was a two-year time span between her first three albums. Now it's decade since her last album. Only if she attains perpetual mortality will she be making another album in another ten years.

Sadly, only after her death will we see new product.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 01-24-2011 at 10:54 PM..
Old 01-24-2011, 11:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

There was a two-year time span between her first three albums. Now it's decade since her last album. Only if she attains perpetual mortality will she be making another album in another ten years.

Sadly, only after her death will we see new product.
The women in her family routinely live past the century mark..Some of us won't be aound for any posthumous releases.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Unless she becomes uncharteristically prolific ...
Seriously? I wouldn't rule it out. I only worry a bit that the naked cash-grab of the Rod link-up might dissuade Dave S. from bothering to try and encourage her to take a more low-key but edgier approach.

I sometimes think that way more people take Stevie way more seriously than she does. She could really explore all those great vault songs, in interesting stripped-down settings, and be a cool vintage act.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered

I watched the youtube version of 'Fall From Grace' from the Atlantic City stop of 'Not A Tour' today- I wonder if she's done with the song, now.
I always loved the song on the cd, and the several times I saw her perform it.
Watching it today, I realized I don't love the song, anymore. It just kind of gets lyrically too bogged down on stage now, she's almost a decade older and the song seems too much for her to sustain-I kept waiting for the high notes near the end. I think the song is a little demanding on audiences, too, for the 2011 tour and 'speculate' if it will be cut.
Also, I speculate that maybe it wasn't a great choice for a set opener, though I admire her for mixing the set up. Those who saw 'Not A Tour', was 'Fall From Grace' a good choice as opening song?
I wonder what may "r.i.p." for her 2o11 performances to make room for the new material?
Oh, and speculation, I think it was- for her tour with Rod, will she preview 2 new songs from the cd? That is a guess I'd make.
Then, for her later solo summer tour, I'd guess she will perform 5 of the 'In Your Dreams' tracks.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 01-26-2011 at 01:05 AM..
Old 01-25-2011, 10:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolaj View Post
I watched the youtube version of 'Fall From Grace' from the Atlantic City stop of 'Not A Tour' today- I wonder if she's done with the song, now.
I always loved the song on the cd, and the several times I saw her perform it.
Watching it today, I realized I don't love the song, anymore. It just kind of gets lyrically too bogged down on stage, and I kept waiting for the high notes near the end- I think the song is a little demanding on audiences for the 2011 tour and 'speculate' if it will be cut.
Also, I speculate that maybe it wasn't a great choice for a set opener, though I admire her for mixing the set up. Those who saw 'Not A Tour', was 'Fall From Grace' a good choice as opening song?
I speculate what may "r.i.p." for her 2o11 performances to make room for the new material?
Oh, and speculation- for her tour with Rod, will she preview 2 new songs from the cd? That is a guess I'd make.
Then, for her later solo summer tour, I'd guess she will perform 5 of the 'In Your Dreams' tracks.
I think two would be a good guess. I mean, it is Stevie Nicks, so I would not be surprised one bit if it was the same set she did in 2010 with a few songs sliced out and the guitar intros shortened. However, she should debut two new songs: Secret Love and another new one. That way she gets the feel of performing 1 "new" song that people will already know and then another new song people have never heard, that way she can see how the crowd reacts. I think the crowd will completely love it and this will encourage her to do 4 or 5 new ones for the summer tour.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Registered

I speculate that Stevie solo and with Fleetwood Mac will travel to Japan, be paid very highly and find an audience that's been waiting for them. At one time, Stevie had a growing presence in Japan, beginning in the 80s, hence her eventual 'Hard Game To Play' Japan-only mini-compilation release, and then there was the expanded Japanese 'Street Angel' cd. Maybe it could be a big deal, a return to Japanese audiences. I think she dropped the ball with her Asian fan-base after 'The Dance' and it would probably be very lucrative for her to reclaim the market. Hell, it's been lucrative for Janis Ian and Rita Coolidge, their Japan fan base was probably 95% of their careers after they were abandoned by US audiences, long ago.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem that Stevie as a solo recording or touring act ever really "broke through" hugely in England, so I think any touring there would be with Fleetwood Mac. It seems there's a huge audience still for Stevie and for FM in Australia and New Zealand, and I think we will see them going where the gigs pay the highest and those two countries I think will be big for their international resurgence, if there is to be one.
I speculate a lot rides on the tour with Rod, the reception to the cd in May, and the tour she does to support it. It could be her biggest year in many, many years.
I still see Japan on her horizon, though. Diana Ross was as huge in Japan in the 80s and 9os as she was in the US in the 60s and 70s and earned a fortune touring there for more than a decade. SN is only four years younger, it would be smart for her to get the huge arena money she potentially may still be able to draw with a proper return to Japan audiences.
I think SN and management will get very clever in getting her top dollar from strategic markets for the next five or 6 years.
I rather doubt there will be big US or international tours for SN or FM when they are in their 70s, in 7 years or so.
Guessing.

Last edited by Nikolaj; 01-26-2011 at 01:07 AM..
Old 01-26-2011, 01:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie did 6 new songs for the TISL tour, but I don't expect to get that many this time around, although I hope I'm wrong. Realistically, she'll probably do 2 or 3 all lumped in with the old set list. I speculate that the songs she will drop to make room for the new ones will be "Fall From Grace" (because she will never drop "Sorcerer" ever), "Rock And Roll" and "Face The Promise". In fact I'm REALLY hoping she drops those last two covers!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Stevie did 6 new songs for the TISL tour, but I don't expect to get that many this time around, although I hope I'm wrong. Realistically, she'll probably do 2 or 3 all lumped in with the old set list. I speculate that the songs she will drop to make room for the new ones will be "Fall From Grace" (because she will never drop "Sorcerer" ever), "Rock And Roll" and "Face The Promise". In fact I'm REALLY hoping she drops those last two covers!
Agreed. You Wreck Me, Face The Promise, Rock & Roll, Fall From Grace/Sorcerer, and How Still My Love need to go. Not that they aren't great live, or great songs to begin with, but she needs to drop quite a few songs to spice up this setlist and we know she isn't dropping any of the staples. The reason I put FFG/Sorcerer is because I think she needs to leave a TISL song in there other than just Love Is, but she should def drop one of them. All the covers need to go for sure. They were a nice way to change up the set when she didn't have anything new to promote, but now that we have new, we need room for it. I also wouldn't mind if she dropped If Anyone Falls or Gold Dust Woman. In Stevie's mind, they are in the "hit" category, but I think if she replaced them with Rooms On Fire, Talk To Me, Seven Wonders, or Gypsy nobody would notice. And I would love to have her throw Gypsy back into her solo mix because I always loved the solo versions better live than the Mac ones. Especially if she sings the "I still see your bright eyes... I can't find you." Or did an acoustic version. Plus, it'd be a recognizable hit. All in all tho, that leaves 6-7 spaces which I think could be filled with 3-4 new songs and then a few old songs she hasn't done in the past ten years/ever. Now this would be my dream, but alas, it is wishful thinking.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bump

I'm resurrecting this thread after 3 and a half years. It's extremely fascinating to read everyone's perspective on Stevie/Fleetwood Mac's future back then. Especially since IYD hadn't even been released at the time. Most of us thought it would be her last studio album, and that Fleetwood Mac "might" have one more record to release, which of course STILL might be the case.

Since then, we've gotten "Extended Play"(however lackluster it was) and are on the eve of a new studio album (WITH CHRIS ~ I never thought that would happen. Good call, John Irving!) plus a new Stevie solo record.

The question NOW is... seeing as how some sort of fire has been lit with both Stevie and the Mac, do you still think the future of their careers to be the same AFTER these projects have run their course? Or do you think both Stevie (solo) and Fleetwood Mac will continue to release more material in the next 5-10 years?

My personal opinion is that this "could be" Fleetwood Mac's last studio album (I'm sure they'll tour every other year till the cows come home) but I could see them doing at least 1 more studio album after this next one. Possibly in 2017 to commemorate the 40th anniversary of "Rumours". They could pull off 2 more studio albums after this new one, but that might be a stretch (and wishful thinking on my part) because 3/5ths of the band will be entering their late 70's in just 5 short years.

If she wanted to, Stevie could get away with releasing 2 or 3 more solo albums in the next 10 years. In my original post in this thread, I speculated that she might work on the Rhiannon movie/album project. I now think this will never come to fruition. I do, however, think she WILL finally sit down with a co-writer/editor someday and give us the autobiography we've been waiting decades for. But this probably won't be till her mid to late 70's.

What do you guys think? Do you still stand by your opinions from years ago, or do you think the recent developments of this past year might have changed things?
Old 07-25-2014, 12:15 AM
Junior Ledgie

I hope and believe another fleetwood mac tour and album . another solo album and tour . Bella donna remastered at best . maaaybe a book ? don't forget fleetwood's 50th coming up . big box set and maybe a big tour and retirement.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post

Then there will inevitably come the time when she will retire from the music business. It is then that she will start to work on the OFTEN TALKED ABOUT Autobiography. Along with this, if the passion to do something with the Rhiannon movie is still within her, I think she will finally get serious about that as well. All of that would depend on getting backed by a big film studio or production company. I really don't think the "Goldfish & Ladybug" cartoon, which she has also talked about a lot, will ever come to fruition.

This is just my opinion of course. I'm interested to hear what you all think about her future.
I hope more new music, the re-release of all her albums with bonus tracks, and new box set that will include the one-off songs released since Enchanted, such as If You Ever Did Believe, and You Can't Fix That.

I really not interested in autobiography; she would need an accomplished co-writer, which is usually very common. I'd rather have someone independent write a comprehensive biography. Autobiographies are often not very objective.