The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Soundstage Sessions CD is NOT live!!

I just got my hands on the promo for "Crash"/"Landslide" from the upcoming "Soundstage Sessions" CD and I can tell you that the cd is NOT a live CD. These are new studio versions of the songs. Some might not like that idea, but I gotta tell you, Stevie sounds GREAT on these two tracks. They were REALLY well done. "Landslide" has a violin solo in the middle (sort of like the Dixie Chicks version, but less twangy). "Crash" also works really well. She put her own spin on the song, one subtle change I noticed is she sings "all the boys dream...." which hasn't she been singing the original "in a boys dream..." line all along?
I wasn't overly hyped about the upcoming CD but now I am. I can't wait to hear how the other songs came out. From what I've heard it's great!!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow...thanks for letting us know how good the songs came out; i am very surprised it's not live tho. I guess she wanted the CD to be a certain way, and just decided to record most/all of the songs on the CD in the studio. I guess that's why the Nicksfix says the CD includes "brand new studio tracks".
Old 03-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but I suppose it does explain the rationale behind giving the DVD and the CD different title names. So if it's a studio album, why does the cover feature a live performance? And if she's re-recording a bunch of old songs, why does she just limit it to songs that are performed in the live Soundstage show? And for f***'s sake, would it have killed her to record one new song for this studio collection? I mean...
Old 03-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Holy smokes! Really? Now this is something!! I don't even know what to think at the moment... I can't even imagine what these will sound like done in a studio as apposed to being live... Thanks for the info!

I'm wondering if maybe it's the vocals from the show - but with the audience removed from the tracks?

Last edited by MacMan; 03-07-2009 at 01:09 PM..
Old 03-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Ledgie

When we left after the show Stevie stayed and kept recording without an audience. She did Landslide, BATB and who knows what else . . . probably Crash???
Old 03-07-2009, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a feeling that the songs were recorded on stage live (meaning with the entire band and vocals recorded at the same time). These are different tracks than the DVD that's for sure. As for why it was done this way? Maybe she just felt it was time to update some of the songs??
I have to say that I like this idea of having a CD with different stuff on it than whats on the DVD. Someone at the label probably figured out that you could simply buy the DVD and rip the sound off it and then there's no need to buy the CD.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Can you please post both of these songs???????
Old 03-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejiraNYC View Post
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, but I suppose it does explain the rationale behind giving the DVD and the CD different title names. So if it's a studio album, why does the cover feature a live performance? And if she's re-recording a bunch of old songs, why does she just limit it to songs that are performed in the live Soundstage show? And for f***'s sake, would it have killed her to record one new song for this studio collection? I mean...

yah dammit Stevie wtf......
i would prefer ONE new track
over a whole CD of re recorded songs she had JUST performed live and in concert, which, from what I've seen and heard, was a pretty good show anyway
why on earth go back and record them

Old 03-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok here's what I did, I played the Soundstage DVD and the new tracks on top of each other. It appears that they DID use the vocals from the live show at least for "Crash". Vocally the two stayed in synch all the way thru the song, musically it was off however. For "Landslide" it kept falling out of synch both musically and vocally. It would stay synch'ed up for a line or two and then it would fall out. Plus the new promo audio has the violin solo that the DVD does not have.
So it sounds like they made a new album based off of the tracks recorded for the DVD but with no audience noise at all.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuncles View Post
Ok here's what I did, I played the Soundstage DVD and the new tracks on top of each other. It appears that they DID use the vocals from the live show at least for "Crash". Vocally the two stayed in synch all the way thru the song, musically it was off however. For "Landslide" it kept falling out of synch both musically and vocally. It would stay synch'ed up for a line or two and then it would fall out. Plus the new promo audio has the violin solo that the DVD does not have.
So it sounds like they made a new album based off of the tracks recorded for the DVD but with no audience noise at all.
Haven't they said from the beginning that "Landslide" on the CD was the "orchestra" version and not the same as what aired on soundstage?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well hey- the fact that she's in the studio recording some tracks could be a good thing!!
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
That's what I was thinking, maybe they deleted the audience noise from the background... and did a bunch of dubbing... It just does not make sense that Stevie would have time to have re-recorded all of those songs in a studio, since the Soundstage concert... Just a thought...

Donnie Wayne ~
Old 03-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well timing wise it would make sense, wasn't the Soundstage concert shot in like 2007 or something? Wasn't it in January of '08 that Stevie said she was in Nashville working on tracks with Joe Thomas? You forget, this Soundstage thing has been done for a long time.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Registered

Quote:
Well timing wise it would make sense, wasn't the Soundstage concert shot in like 2007 or something? Wasn't it in January of '08 that Stevie said she was in Nashville working on tracks with Joe Thomas? You forget, this Soundstage thing has been done for a long time.

LOL... NASHVILLE ~ ~ ~ MY ASS... WINK ~ ~ ~!!!

Donnie Wayne ~
Old 03-08-2009, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just listened to the preview orchesta version of "Landslide"...posted on nickslive.com and that is definetly a new studio version...the orchestration was all added in the studio...and the vocals are different...Stevie sings the song more quietly and sweetly than what is on the Live in Chicago version to my ears.
Hope that someone posts the radio/studio version of "Crash" soon....

This makes this CD more exciting for me...maybe reprise will sneak in a "new" hidden track......Hmmm somethings going on......

Last edited by Christopher; 03-08-2009 at 01:06 PM..