User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
This post is a new low, even for this board. Good God!
Is it? Well, that were Mike Campbells own words, not my fault that he is like he is.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Wow. This is a really sad (and unnecessarily nasty) comment.
How is that nasty? I mean, people point out that Micke Campbell is a good teamplayer. He isn't - due to his own words and - well, Tom Petty IS dead, died from an overdose of pain medication because he toured with a broken hip, while his good friend Mike saw him every day did nothing and shrugged it off in interviews.
Wishful thinking versus facts. I merely point that out.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 08-16-2018 at 07:05 AM..
Old 08-16-2018, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
How is that nasty? I mean, people point out that Micke Campbell is a good teamplayer. He isn't - due to his own words and - well, Tom Petty IS dead, died from an overdose of pain medication because he toured with a broken hip, while his good friend Mike saw him every day did nothing and shrugged it off in interviews.
Wishful thinking versus facts. I merely point that out.
Come on...you werent there. You dont know the context of what was said. They were best friends for years and years. Stop being cruel.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's not that I'm making this stuff up.
Here is the article that I quote:
https://wror.com/2017/10/19/heartbre...pen-tom-petty/

Here we go:
Not only did Mike Campbell fail to intervene to help Tom Petty out of his selfdestructive behaviour, he did not even backup the manager:
Quote:
...And though Dimitriades broached the idea of canceling the tour, telling Tom "You can't tour like that." he says Petty told him, "Why not? I'll do it in a chair if I have do."
Also Mike Campbell:
Quote:
"He had very severe hip pain and he could hardly walk. I just admired how he just persevered. He didn't want to move the tour; He was gonna address it after the tour, from what I know, and so just seeing him struggling to get on stage, nobody knew once he got on stage. Once he put the guitar on and he kicked in and he did his show, and I don't think anybody had any idea how much pain he was in."
So he knew, saw Tom Petty suffer and did nothing to stop it. I don't even think it was about the money, it's just that Mike consciously put his own interests before Tom Pettys wellbeing.

He just wanted to play, that was the all important thing. And he is open about it:
Quote:
Guitarist Mike Campbell tells Rolling Stone that, "I'm just so sad to think that I'm not going to play those songs again."
It's not about the friendship, the personal loss of a friend, it is all about playing.

And still some people here try to sell Mike Campbell as more than a guitar player to rent for FM. He just wants to play guitar, obviously without any regard of the circumstances. Nothing wrong with being a bona fide Stage Hog, but let's stop pretending that he has ever been a responsible person or a good, caring friend for Tom Petty. Or that he even wasted one thought on the situation he got himself into, the fans or his predecessor before he jumped into the FM boat.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 08-16-2018 at 08:38 AM..
Old 08-16-2018, 08:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's not that I'm making this stuff up.
Here is the article that I quote:
https://wror.com/2017/10/19/heartbre...pen-tom-petty/

Here we go:
While Mike Campbell did not intervene to help Tom Petty out of his selfdestructive behaviour, he did not even backup the manager:

Also Mike Campbell:

So he knew, saw Tom Petty suffer and still put going on stage every night and get his own kick out of it before PUTTING A STOP on Tom Petty.

And why he is sad:

So it's not about the friend, it is about playing. Best friends - sure

And still some people here try to sell Mike Campbell as more than a guitar player to rent for FM. He just wants to play guitar, responsibility isn't his thing.

You really should stop now.

He may well have been aware of Tom's hip problem- but he'd never in a million years have envisaged the outcome (as an aside- the hip problem probably should have been manageable and only indirectly led onto his death). Just because your bands 'leader' chooses to continue through a tour despite being in pain doesn't mean you aren't a 'team player'. The likelihood is even Campbell himself probably didn't fully know what Petty was going through or what he was taking for it.
You are twisting words to suit your own (strangely twisted) narrative. He's also quoted as saying (at a Dirty Knobs gig);
'And just a moment of reverence for a very spiritual, beautiful person. He was my partner for almost 50 years, we wrote songs we loved each other we played a ****ing million hits together and I’ll never get over losing him. But I’m real happy to be here playing music again, thank you for helping me heal.'

I don't know what your rationale is but I'm forming a picture of what sort of person you are.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-16-2018, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Why?
Quote:
I don't know what your rationale is but I'm forming a picture of what sort of person you are.
So what?
Old 08-16-2018, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I actually find the fact that Australia has it's own little Hall of Fame quite charming. AFAIK Germany has none and I'm thankful for that.

Maybe Germany should have their own Hall of Fame. The first inductees could be;

Ammon Duul
Kraftwerk
Boney M
Nena
Milli Vanilli
The Scorpions
Culture Beat
Ramstein
David Hasselhoff

Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-16-2018, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quote:
Why?

because you are acting like a complete twat.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-16-2018, 09:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
because you are acting like a complete twat.
Stop it with your pseudo consternation! I'm not making this stuff up, the twat is Micke Campbell, not me. It's kinda understandable that you don't want to acknowledge the fact that he is one, but don't put the blame on me, I only copy and paste.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe Germany should have their own Hall of Fame. The first inductees could be;
Boney M
Nena
Milli Vanilli
The Scorpions
Culture Beat
Rammstein
Here you see the exact reason why I don't want a german Hall of Shame. I think you just made my point.

And David Hasselhoff is not ours, we can only hope to burrow him from time to time to make our country better and braver.

Last edited by AncientQueen; 08-16-2018 at 09:19 AM..
Old 08-16-2018, 09:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Stop it with your pseudo consternation! I'm not making this stuff up, the twat is Micke Campbell, not me. It's kinda understandable that you don't want to acknowledge the fact that he is one, but don't put the blame on me, I only copy and paste.
Lindsey's fans. What a charming bunch they have turned out to be.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Lindsey's fans. What a charming bunch they have turned out to be.
What makes you think I'm a Lindsey fan? I'm not one at all, a fact firmly established over the last 15 years on this board.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Maybe that's the problem. Copying and pasting doesn't involve critical thought.

Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe that's the problem. Copying and pasting doesn't involve critical thought.
And that is why you have a problem with my interpretation? What I see here happen, is that people work really hard on Sainthood for Mike Campbell and that is just delusial. So I'm entitled to bring a dose of reality here as much as the people who decided to gloss over the facts. And if you don't like it, okay, but the fact that Mr. Campbell himself said the things I copied and pasted remains. And that leads to only 2 possibilities. He is either a crass opportunist or an idiot talking BS in interviews. Chose your pick.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
And that is why you have a problem with my interpretation? What I see here happen, is that people work really hard on Sainthood for Mike Campbell and that is just delusial. So I'm entitled to bring a dose of reality here as much as the people who decided to gloss over the facts. And if you don't like it, okay, but the fact that Mr. Campbell himself said the things I copied and pasted remains. And that leads to only 2 possibilities. He is either a crass opportunist or an idiot talking BS in interviews. Chose your pick.
If I'm honest. I've always thought TP and the HB are one of the most boring bands out there. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Crowded House: I don't really have an opinion. ehhhhh (there's my opinion)