Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default farmers daughter

I heard the Beachboys the other day and wondered if in fact they ever did a version, of Farmers Daughter? I do like the FM version and I think it's great that they kept the BB sound with that little FM touch, just enough to make it uniquely different ( I guess it's the blend of voices I'm thinking of ). Anyone heard the Beach Boys do it then?
Old 01-02-2003, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, it's on their "Surfin' USA" album (their second album). It's an OLD song!

Yeah, the Beach Boys' own version is considerably faster and, being that it was recorded in 1961 or 1962, the recording quality isn't nearly as good...Brian's falsetto is way out in front and there's not the "typical" Beach Boys type harmony as would be expected AFTER hearing Fleetwood Mac's version.

Likewise, with "Angel Come Home"...the Beach Boys version (with Dennis Wilson taking lead vocals) on their "L.A." album from 1979, is much slower than Mick Fleetwood's Zoo's version and the harmonies aren't as lush as the Zoo's (it's pretty obvious that Lindsey lent MORE than "just a hand" with the recording of this one!). Also on the Beach Boys' "L.A." album is Dennis' tune "Love Surrounds Me" with Christine on background vocals.

Last edited by chiliD; 01-02-2003 at 05:59 PM..
Old 01-02-2003, 06:37 PM
Senior Ledgie

I downloaded a version of Farmer's Daughter by the Beach Boys that does have all the harmonies you'd expect. Chili, do you mean the album version is just Brian singing lead and that's the only vocals? I'm not familiar with the album version as opposed to whatever copy I have, but I'd be very interested to know that I had different (better, I'd think) copy that I could share.
-Brian
Old 01-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

No, Brian's not the ONLY singer, just his voice is more "out front" in the mix than the others'...as opposed to the Fleetwood Mac version where all voices are blended together without any particular part being "out front". Maybe it's just the way the voices were blended that Brian's just stood out (to my ears anyway). There's only the one Beach Boys' version that I know of.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:42 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by bjk3047
I downloaded a version of Farmer's Daughter by the Beach Boys that does have all the harmonies you'd expect. Chili, do you mean the album version is just Brian singing lead and that's the only vocals? I'm not familiar with the album version as opposed to whatever copy I have, but I'd be very interested to know that I had different (better, I'd think) copy that I could share.
-Brian
would you be able to share this with me? i've been trying to find a file for this song FOREVER to no avail. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Talking Hehe

Yeah, I have the same one. Well I just could help myself from isolating the vocals (changing phasing, channeling, etc.) and creating more of an a capella mix of it. It sounds a lot richer, like you were saying Chili. I uploaded it on GeoCities, so you may have to wait for the bandwidth max to pass (it's every hour I believe), so if you get a red message on the screen, just wait a bit and try again.

http://www.geocities.com/bri3047/Bea...s_Daughter.mp3

Enjoy! Oh, and Chili, tell me if that's better.
-Brian
Old 01-05-2003, 09:26 AM
joe

Default Re: Hehe

Quote:

http://www.geocities.com/bri3047/Bea...s_Daughter.mp3

Enjoy! Oh, and Chili, tell me if that's better.
-Brian

yahoo says that page is unavailable.

???

Help!
Old 01-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation Well...

It's been YEARS since I've heard this but I think there was an album cut called "Cassius Love Vs. Sonny Wilson" on the Beach Boys "Shut down vol. 2" album which was just the guys goofing around in the studio where they made jokes at each other and every once in a while they would have a clip of an older Beach Boys tune burst in for a few seconds before returning to the talking (a la Dickie Goodman style). Anyways, the clip of "Farmer's daughter" that they used in CLVSW to me on that album sounded re-recorded as it definitely wasn't the "Surfin' USA" version and now that I think of it, I guess it had to be a re-recorded snipet because when it came to the part where they were supposed to sing the word "daughter" someone sang "Mother" as a joke and then they laughed and moved on to their next joke.

I'm not sure if this is of any help to any one wishing to hear BB versions of this tune but at least there is a slight alternative to the "Surfin' USA" version.

It was the "Shut down vol. 2" clip I first heard and I remembered thinking "Geez, I like that song, I have to find it". Of course I was looking for "Farmer's Mother" based on what they sang (!) but then I came across the "Surfin' USA" album which I got for their version of "Miserlou" and then I was happy to hear FD on the SUSA album but I was disappointed with the way it sounded (as per what ChiliD says about the SUSA album, I couldn't agree more) as I preferred the "sound" they got on the SDV2 "snipet" of FD better than the actual version that was on the SUSA album!

Well, I'll stop rambling now but I hope this was of interest to someone here.

John
Old 01-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Senior Ledgie

Joe: Try this, it seemed to work. http://geocities.com/bri3047/Beach_B...s_Daughter.mp3
Sorry about that!
-Brian
Old 01-05-2003, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Joe: Try this, it seemed to work. http://geocities.com/bri3047/Beach_B...s_Daughter.mp3
Sorry about that!
-Brian
Hey Brian, do you mind if I d/l it aswell...I'm asking because I don't want to cause bandwidth issues with you....(and to be polite).....?

Let me know, I'd really like to hear it (I can get it off you by email if you don't want anymore downloads). Thanks.

Last edited by seteca; 01-05-2003 at 09:46 PM..
Old 01-06-2003, 12:42 AM
Senior Ledgie

I don't have to pay for Geocities, so download away! The only reason I mentioned it was if anyone got a funny message that said the bandwidth for the hour had been exceeded by lots of people downloading at once.
-Brian
Old 01-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey.. I downloaded it and I can see how Brian Wilson could be seen as" IN YOUR FACE".. it's quite frustatingly different to the FM version, which personally, I love much better. Thanks for posting it though.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't have to pay for Geocities, so download away! The only reason I mentioned it was if anyone got a funny message that said the bandwidth for the hour had been exceeded by lots of people downloading at once.
-Brian
I got it. Thanks a lot.