User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-14-2002, 01:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by thewhitewingedd
I personally haven't ever thought of MIRAGE as a weak album...I really like it actually...The only thing I can say negative about it is EMPIRE STATE....That is the worst song from Fleetwood Mac ever...Right from the start...Its horrible..But the rest of MIRAGE is greatness. But still this is just my view so it really means nothing....HEHE

Adam
*agrees* Apart from the bit about Empire State.
Old 12-14-2002, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mirage is the only Rumours line up album I've yet to listen to all the way through. Even though it did hit #1, I think it had a bit too much production in it. For example, Love in Store could have done much better without the corny "ah whoa, oh oh oh" part. However, I do love this song live on the Mirage concert when it's more upbeat and flows better. Another studio stinker but great live song for me is Eyes of the World. It seems that for a lot of the songs they were going for a much crisper sound, but sometimes that made the songs choppier. I've tried to get into Straight Back, but there's just too much going on in that song. And, I've yet to actually listen completely to Only Over You, Empire State, Oh Diane, and Wish You Were Here. And unfortunately, I've become a rather small fan of Hold Me, the album's biggest hit (chart wise). Just too much repeating...really, how many times can they possibly keep just repeating the phrase "Hold Me." I don't imagine too many people get the name of that song messed up. It's not a bad album though, and I think it should have more recognition. My mother, who lived through the Fleetwood Mac years, didn't even know Mirage existed until we were watching the video for Gypsy and the title came on with the album name "Mirage."
Old 12-14-2002, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I would have to say the obvious choice...Tusk. It really IS so incredibly underrated. A lot of their best work is on that album, and it has such a signature sound. The album went onto influence so many many bands, even to this day.

(And of course Storms is on it, which is my favourite Stevie song! )

Old 12-15-2002, 12:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Right now I'd say Future Games. I can't see any of the B&N or Green albums as being underrated, they certainly have sold and continue to sell.
Old 12-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorcerer386
And unfortunately, I've become a rather small fan of Hold Me, the album's biggest hit (chart wise). Just too much repeating...really, how many times can they possibly keep just repeating the phrase "Hold Me." I don't imagine too many people get the name of that song messed up. "
lol!!! i agree.

I saw the rolling stone article that the Tusk album was in, but I think it was the top commercial failures or something along those lines, not "worst albums".

Tusk and Mirage are definitely underrated. Not being a huge Christine fan, I *love* her songs on Tusk--Over and Over is my favorite Christine song, and probably in my top 10 FM songs. Plus, this is the only album where I feel Stevie got a fair share of album time. Sisters of the Moon is one of the best songs ever made, and I love Angel, Storms, and Sara. Beautiful Child is up there with Stevie's best. Some of Lindsey's songs are wacky, but I love them too, esp. The Ledge, That's All for Everyone, and Walk a Thin Line, but Not That Funny is much better on the Live album.

I really think Mirage is great, I can honestly say I don't dislike any songs on this album. Love in Store is another favorite Christine tune, Lindsey's and Stevie's backing vocals really make that song, the 3 of them together is great, I wish they did that more. That's Alright is a guilty pleasure, inspite of its countryness. Im not a big fan of Eyes of the World, but that awesome guitar saves it. And that kick-ass piano at the end of Wish you were here is a great way to end the album.

btw, whats up the beginning of "Wish you were here" and "Silver Springs" being exactly the same??

adam
Old 12-17-2002, 06:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

of the rumours era, i'd have to say tusk or mirage.. i dunno, i think lots of people (non-diehards) recognize tusk, but mirage is still unknown to them. and at first, i have to admit, i hated mirage. sometimes "Oh Diane" still grates my nerves, but I've really come to enjoy the album. I positively ADORE "Love in Store" (no rhyme intended).. and, basically, the WHOLE album. It's fantastic. I'm glad I've come to see the light.. heh.

Of all the FM incarnations.. i think Mystery to Me is wayyyy "looked-over." I first got my copy in 1997 and ever since the first time I listened to it, I've been hooked on that cd. I think all the personal drama really hindered MtM.. it probably would have been a big hit if they would have been able to promote it.

Sarah
Old 12-17-2002, 09:40 PM
joe

Quote:
Originally posted by stevierocks87
btw, whats up the beginning of "Wish you were here" and "Silver Springs" being exactly the same??

adam

right???? when i first heard "Silver Springs" from the Dance i knew that beginning part sounded like something else. so.....off to the Mirage album i went and i was right. exciting story huh?
Old 12-17-2002, 10:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I agree that "TIME" was not given a chance, I still dislike this album. I listened to it trying to be open minded and overlook the fact that Stevie and Linndsey were no longer in the group but I still found the album a bore. The only songs I liked from the album are Talkin To My Heart, Hollywood .... Some Other Kind of Town and my favourite song on the album Nights In Estoril.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

While I haven't listened to Time and therefore have no subjective opinion, I think it's still right to say it wasn't given a chance. I didn't know Time existed for the longest time (no pun intended) and thought Behind the Mask was FM's last output before The Dance (besides the box set). I don't know how good the album is, but I feel that it wasn't given a chance probably because it was a much different Fleetwood Mac. Mick said once "good album, wrong band" or something like that...he might have said wrong name. In other words, he likes the album but because it was under Fleetwood Mac with no Lindsey and no Stevie and probably has a different sound than Rumours era Fleetwood Mac, it just wasn't given any attention.
Old 12-18-2002, 08:41 PM
Junior Ledgie

I agree on the 71-74 albums. From the Rumours era I pick "Live"
for the simple fact it's the only one from that era that I've ever seen in a cutout bin. This was the early 80's and of course I bought it. (I love live albums.)
Old 12-20-2002, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with you, Dugan, the live album rocks! I listen to it all the time. That live version of Rhiannon alone is worth the price But really, the tracklist could have been much more interesting. What about Sisters of the Moon, The Chain, etc? And while I love that version of Sara, I'm sure that is not the best version from the Tusk tour. Didn't I hear somewhere that they recorded all the shows from the tusk tour, is that true?

Adam
Old 12-26-2002, 05:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Of the Buckingham & Nicks era albums, I'd say that 'Mirage' is probably the most underappreciated.
'Rumours' and 'Tusk,' are the two that get mentioned most by critics and fans alike.

Johnny Stew
Old 12-26-2002, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dugan
I agree on the 71-74 albums. From the Rumours era I pick "Live"
for the simple fact it's the only one from that era that I've ever seen in a cutout bin. This was the early 80's and of course I bought it. (I love live albums.)
Oh definitely, if we're talking ANY album, then I vote for "Live" too..! I love all the tracks (sound quality and performace quality) on it, especially "Go Your Own Way" and "I'm So Afraid".