Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Shimon Holly & Peter Green

Hello from Italy.

Does anybody still got the picture of the sleeve of that session
Greeny did with jewish guitar player Shimon Holly?

I did remember the cd was sold on ebay, but now that picture isn't available
anymore.

I'm trying to make an historical setting for the session and I'm sure that picture will help me out.

Thanks,

Mario.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Hi Mario, Can you post further details on this CD? I wasn't aware Peter played on a Shimon Holly CD. Thanks in advance.

John
Old 11-30-2006, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Hello John,

it all started here at the Ledge, with an old thread called "an unknow session?"

The cd featuring the session with Greeny was sold together with a Shimon Holly LP on EBAY.

I did remember that a picture of the sleeve was available, but now I can't see it anymore.

Peter was holding a Gibson Les Paul (maybe the same one Mick Fleetwood gave him in 1978 in L.A.) and Peter's playing just reminds me to "In The Skies" and jam n.2 (a slow blues maybe based on Love That Burns) sound a little bit as the track "A Fool No More" from the "In The Skies" album.

So my personal historical setting is 1977/1978, that photo should help me a lot.

Mario.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Hello from Italy.

Does anybody still got the picture of the sleeve of that session
Greeny did with jewish guitar player Shimon Holly?

I did remember the cd was sold on ebay, but now that picture isn't available
anymore.

I'm trying to make an historical setting for the session and I'm sure that picture will help me out.

Thanks,

Mario.

I have it, but it was to big to upload. I'll figure something out.
Does anyone actually know ANYTHING about this Holly figure?
Old 11-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I have it, but it was to big to upload. I'll figure something out.
Does anyone actually know ANYTHING about this Holly figure?
Dino, if you have it, then please send it at m.pirrus@mclink.it

Thanks,

Mario.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hi folks!

I bought that recording from that same ebay seller from Israel. It was a CDr and the cover was the one that appeared on ebay with two different photos of Peter (not top quality). As I said, this was a CDr, but I think that it may have been released officially as a single in Israel... or as a domestic, semi-official sort of thing..

There is not much info at all on Shimon Holly, and of course neither of the session itself.

Daniel
Old 12-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansven View Post
I think that it may have been released officially as a single in Israel... or as a domestic, semi-official sort of thing..
There is not much info at all on Shimon Holly, and of course neither of the session itself.

Daniel
Thanks Daniel (& Mario), so do you know what the titles on this single were/would have been? I guess llike Mario says "Jam N.2" would be the name of one but do you know what the title was on the flip side?

It'd just make it a lot easier if I have titles so I can research it etc.

Thanks for any further info you can provide on this in advance.

John
Old 12-01-2006, 10:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood View Post
Thanks Daniel (& Mario), so do you know what the titles on this single were/would have been? I guess llike Mario says "Jam N.2" would be the name of one but do you know what the title was on the flip side?

It'd just make it a lot easier if I have titles so I can research it etc.

Thanks for any further info you can provide on this in advance.

John
It's only 15 minutes in all , two tracks simply named "Jam 1" and "Jam 2"

Mario.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:23 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Peter Green Sessionography by Mario Pirrone

Quote:

Thanks,

Mario.
Hello from Poland,

I have this Sessionography printed out from not existing site www.petergreen.net It is a great treasure for Greeny fans. It ends in 2000. Thanks Mario for your great work )) I think you are now working on the complete sessionography ) It would be fantastic to help you by tracing Greeny's activities and giving information on Ledge forum. Apart from my earlier info of unknown recordings I'd like to show an interesting link with details about PGFM sessions and live shows http://www.chromeoxide.com/green.htm Maybe it would be usful? But I'm almost sure you know this site )) But maybe others don't know.

Regards
Krzysztof
Old 12-02-2006, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kowk View Post
Hello from Poland,

I have this Sessionography printed out from not existing site www.petergreen.net It is a great treasure for Greeny fans. It ends in 2000. Thanks Mario for your great work )) I think you are now working on the complete sessionography ) It would be fantastic to help you by tracing Greeny's activities and giving information on Ledge forum. Apart from my earlier info of unknown recordings I'd like to show an interesting link with details about PGFM sessions and live shows http://www.chromeoxide.com/green.htm Maybe it would be usful? But I'm almost sure you know this site )) But maybe others don't know.

Regards
Krzysztof
Hello Krzysztoff

yes I'm still updtading the Sessionography on a regular basis and I put lots on new stuff on it, as sessions with Rudy Rotta, Chris Coco and the recent release of Otis Spann's and Duster Bennett's Blue Horizon Sessions, plus the two unreleased tracks from the 2006 reissue of "Blue Memphis Suite".

So turning again on that "Israeli Session", I don't believe it came from summer 1983/1984.
Ok Peter's story (and Martin Celmins book as well) tell us that he went in Tel Aviv back in summer 1984 with Kolors, when the tour suddently stopped, because the promoters, ran out of money, but after some more accurate inquiries, my personal historical setting is late 1981/early 1982, beetwen "Whatcha Gonna Do", Peter guest spot for Brian Knight's "A Dark Horse" and "White Sky".

Why?

well....
1- the Israeli Session, sleeve shows Peter playing a Gibson Les Paul, but it looks as the Les Paul is not the same one Peter is holding on some early PVK promo shots, circa 1978/1979, but also tell us that Peter wasn't in his long fingernails era 1983/1984/1985, while he was touring with Kolors (see the back cover of the 2005 reissue of the "Kolors" album.

2-On the Israeli session sleeve, I think Peter looks very similar to the photo available on the back cover of "Whatcha Gonna Do" and/or the "White Sky" band, also available on the 2005 reissue of "White Sky".

3-Last, but not the least, Peter's playing is too good for 1983/1984,we know damn well that in those years because of his illness he lost most of that "Greeny" energy and power; also he bends strings in a way he totally stopped during his Kolors days.

Anyway any input from you at the Ledge would be most welcome.

On a final note, Israeli Session has some great blues guitar and I'm pretty sure that it's right to say that had Peter played like that during his Splinter Group days, then we all had cried tears of joy!

Stay Green,

Mario.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
my personal historical setting is late 1981/early 1982, beetwen "Whatcha Gonna Do", Peter guest spot for Brian Knight's "A Dark Horse" and "White Sky".

Mario.
Yep, sound plausible.
Listen to the "A dark horse" tracks. Peter plays very well on them,
so he must have been in good health around that time.
The main difference between those two sessions is he
plays with a Les Paul on the Israeli session - the Knight
session sounds like a Strat.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Mario, you have indeed 3 strong points there!
I tend to agree with you now, it's very hard to believe that the playing on this session belongs to Peter Green of the final days of Kolors.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:57 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Israeli radio broadcast music from this session

Quote:

well....
1- the Israeli Session, sleeve shows Peter playing a Gibson Les Paul, but it looks as the Les Paul is not the same one Peter is holding on some early PVK promo shots, circa 1978/1979, but also tell us that Peter wasn't in his long fingernails era 1983/1984/1985, while he was touring with Kolors (see the back cover of the 2005 reissue of the "Kolors" album.

2-On the Israeli session sleeve, I think Peter looks very similar to the photo available on the back cover of "Whatcha Gonna Do" and/or the "White Sky" band, also available on the 2005 reissue of "White Sky".

3-Last, but not the least, Peter's playing is too good for 1983/1984,we know damn well that in those years because of his illness he lost most of that "Greeny" energy and power; also he bends strings in a way he totally stopped during his Kolors days.

Mario.
On the site
http://www.elimarcus.com/ElisBluesRadio.html
there is an description:
09. Peter Green and Shimon Holly, Long Jam, live jam recorded in Israel early 1980's

It was broadcast (Eli's Blues) by Israel public radio 88FM, Sunday, November 4th, 2007 (09:00-10:00 PM Jerusalem time)

I asked Eli Marcus about some details but he didn't know much about this session.
But the info about the title Long Jam and an approximate date of recordings sounds interesting :-)

Regards
Krzysztof
Old 01-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Junior Ledgie

Default Tel Aviv

I think I can confirm that Kolors went to Tel Aviv for a festival in 1985, it was headlined by Marillion, and various other artists. Very poorly attended, no one got paid.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman View Post
I think I can confirm that Kolors went to Tel Aviv for a festival in 1985, it was headlined by Marillion, and various other artists. Very poorly attended, no one got paid.
Thanks Bassman, do you have more info on the festival in 1985?

/z