User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Me too! I think it should have been released as a single.
ME TOO!! It soooooo should've been a single. It's better than Maybe Love any day.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

I also really loved Street Angel
Old 02-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Senior Ledgie

Bumping this ancient thread...

-I LOVE the Red Rocks concert video. No shame.

-Too many of Stevie's songs are over-produced. I almost exclusively listen to demos and outtakes. I love songs like "It's Not A Dream"- simple, nothing but Stevie. And I love the synth stuff. So much.

-I have tried for almost two years, but I do not like the "In Your Dreams" album at all. I do not connect with the music, production, or vocals. The whole thing feels too polished, too cautious for my personal tastes. However, I do love that so many people love it, that Stevie loves it, and that so many people consider it amazing

Also agreeing with these posts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
- I don't like the present day "Rhiannon" on stage.
- RAL will always be my absolute favorite album by her
- I don't like and never have liked "The Other Side of the Mirror"
- Her songs on "Say You Will" sucked. Lindsey should have kept it a solo album. His songs on that record are FAR superior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueLamp View Post
My unpopular opinions:

*Stevie got better looking as she got older.

*The Tango/80s big hair and outlandish outfits made her look hot.

*The Nightmare, Welcome To The Room...Sara, When I See You Again and Two Kinds Of Love are all great songs.

*She's lying when she says she didn't know cocaine was dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieRox2 View Post
1) I love watching the coked out Stevie - would've loved to have hung around with her then, I think she was alot of fun back then

2) I love the wavy, curly hair - HATE this straight stuff, I think it makes her look older

7) I think TISL would've been better without Sheryl's influence, some of the songs I just don't like AT ALL, don't think it was her best work yet, in fact I wish she'd write more like BellaDonna and WH, RAL, etc.

8) She's had some kind of minor work done face-wise, she looks just too incredible!

12) she really knows what her songs are about but won't tell, EVER - they're a secret
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
- I don't buy the "I was a sweet girl and had never drank before FM", -I do buy that Christine taught her how to drink- English style- snifters of brandy and some lovely wines...

-Oh yeah...the coke deal...C'mon, even if everyone was doing it-somewhere in your mind you HAD to know it would come to no good end-
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasja View Post
Addendum to my post on page one of this thread

4. Stevie and Lindsey were in love in the early seventies but haven't been for over thirty years. Fans are the only ones that haven't moved on.

~joins the federal witness protection program~

Sasja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
Stevie PLEASE STOP THE AIR GUITAR..THE AIR DRUMS & AIR VIOLIN & AIR LASSO!!! PLEASE I BEG YOU TO STOP IT!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallycait View Post

I'm with you on this one. I always thought the Alice In Wonderland vid for "Don't Come Around Here No More" after Stevie wouldn't record it meant... something.

Reading through this thread, I see that other people love Mirror Mirror, Desert Angel, and When I See You Again as much as I do. God, I love WISYA, it's so raw.

I love the stuff that so many fans seem to hate as too synthy and overproduced, namely Wild Heart, Rock A Little, and The Other Side Of The Mirror. WH is my favorite Stevie album.

My favorite Stevie song is Batte Of The Dragon and I'm amazed at how little attention it gets.

Her post-Tusk voice is more effective than older recordings where she sounds so girlish. The rougher and shakier she sounds, the better.

Her best hair was the overfluffed Mirage/Wild Heart look.

(As a side note, something happened between Lindsey & Christine somewhere along the way. And from the sound of TITN, it was pretty intense.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melly View Post

I don't think there should be a film made about Stevie's life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDan View Post
Chris Nicks' resentment of the way he was treated as a child, versus the way his precious and talented sister was treated, played a part in his ability sit back and watch his sister, as an adult, completely fall apart and reach death's door on two seperate occaisions, while he was on her payroll.
I don't know anything about the situation, obviously, but I always wondered what her family thought of the drugs. I can't imagine working for my sibling and just watching him/her spiral. (I don't know if Chris just "watched," it just kind of seems that way from an outsider's perspective).
Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I agree with so much of this thread:

I think much of her solo career is way, way overproduced... which is why I generally prefer her work in Fleetwood Mac.

*ALL* post '82 Rhiannons are painful trainwrecks.

I just can't get into You Can't Fix This... the music is fantastic... Stevie's lyrics are atrocious.

I too like Red Rocks, and Rock A Little is one of my fav of Stevie's solo albums.

I think there is a LOT of strong material on Street Angel. So many straightfoward, back to basics rock songs.

They aren't pretty, but When I See You Again & The Second Time are some of Stevie's most poignant songs. They capture the absolute desperation of the time when they were written... they showcase just how crazy & sick she was, how she almost didn't pull through.

I truly enjoy Desert Angel. I think it's very atmospheric and it's the closest thing we've ever gotten to a political protest song from Stevie. I dig the sentiment behind this one.

I think Destiny Rules & Illume are every bit as good as Gypsy & Gold Dust Woman.

I don't think Stevie's voice is up for extensive touring anymore. Most of the time she just sounds plain bad. She's toured too much, for too long. It's taken it's toll.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Street Angel is not as bad as it's rep says.
2. Beauty and the Beast is awful
3. Rhiannon is WAY overpraised.
4. Highway man is my Fav Stevie solo tune
5. Stevie needs shorter more concise albums.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-22-2013, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks is, at heart, a country singer.

AFTER THE GLITTER FADES
ROSE GARDEN
THAT'S ALRIGHT
SILVER SPRINGS '76 (steele guitar intro)
SLEEPING ANGEL
I DON'T WANT TO KNOW
Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris10723 View Post
I also really loved Street Angel
Me too! The tour was excellent also.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:58 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post

What is your theory on Edge of 17??? Do tell....
I want to know that too!!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I cannot stand most of Bella Donna. And I actively hate Gold and Braid, Blue Lamp, Violet and Blue, and many of the demos I hear on YouTube.

I love WISYA, The Second Time, and Jane.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I forgot my most unpopular opinion of them all!

I find the majority of Wild Heart to be overly sappy & wholly insincere. It's my least favorite Stevie album by a country mile, and I never listen to it.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Senior Ledgie

I have SO many of what I would assume to be unpopular opinions about Stevie. This list probably isn't even the half of it.

- "Sister Honey" is AWESOME!
- Her voice sounded best on "Trouble in Shangri-La" the album.
- "Trouble In Shangri-La" is her best album.
- The album versions of "Nomad/Candlebright" and "Sorceror" are better than the demos.
- The demos of "Think About It" are just as good as the album version.
- "Destiny Rules" is one of Stevie's top 5 best songs.
- Stevie's version of "Crystal" is soooooo much better than Lindsey's.
- The Soundstage versions of "Sara," "Landslide," and "Gold Dust Woman" are all just as good if not better than their album versions.
- She needs to stop covering Led Zeplin's "Rock & Roll" live because it's not that great.
- "Love Is" is just as good as any of her older ballads...and I much prefer the album version to the demo.
- I love "Sisters of the Moon" but it's not even close to the top of my favorites list.
- The Live at Red Rocks concert is horrible and almost unlistenable.
- The live version of "Beautiful Child" from "Live in Boston" is better than the album version.
- The live version of "Stop Draggin' My Heart Around" from Tom Petty's live DVD is superior to any other version.
- I prefer Stevie's deeper voice to her 70's voice.
- I prefer the versions of dreams where she DOESN'T hit the high notes (a la "The Dance" CD).

Last edited by Machu; 02-22-2013 at 07:59 PM..
Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
I forgot my most unpopular opinion of them all!

I find the majority of Wild Heart to be overly sappy & wholly insincere. It's my least favorite Stevie album by a country mile, and I never listen to it.
I'll agree half way. I think the back half really bites it So halfway good for me.

Mick

-Tom Waits
Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hi, everyone....I'm new to The Ledge. I've been a longtime reader, but only recently decided to officially join in the (great) conversations that take place here. I'm an avid Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks fan; have been since the late 1970s, when, as an adolescent, I first heard Stevie Nicks sing "thunder only happens when it's raining."

I love this thread and thought I'd chime in. Hope you don't mind.....

My unpopular Stevie opinions include:

• I love "When I See You Again"
• I think "Rhiannon" and "Dreams" should be dropped from her live sets
• I don't think Stevie covers other people's songs very well (although "Circle Dance" is an exception)
• I think Stevie can at times be a lazy writer and needs a good editor to push her to be better
• I love "Say You Will," "Destiny Rules," and "Silver Girl" (forgive me). I love the lyrics of "Everybody Finds Out," but don't love the production
• I wish Stevie would get rid of Margi Kent. She needs an updated wardrobe for the stage, something that actually shows off her great, slim figure. Margi Kent can't seem to do that
• I love the IYD version of "Secret Love" and actually thinks it's better than the demo
• I'm not a huge fan of "Edge of Seventeen." The lyrics are great, the main riff is great, but the song as a whole seems a bit repetitive to me
• I really enjoy the Wild Heart and Rock a Little Stevie and wish she'd bring some of that spontaneity back to her live shows
• I think her vocal coach has actually done more harm than good. I think he's convinced her to avoid certain notes and aspects of her voice just so that she "never has a bad night"
• I think Stevie's television performances in the past 5-6 years have been terrible (except her recent "You Can't Fix This" on Letterman)
• I love, love, love live versions of "Silver Springs"
• I wish she'd work with someone other than Waddy Wachtel
• I hope she never, ever again wears the Frankenbocks
Old 02-22-2013, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machu View Post

- "Sister Honey" is AWESOME!
- Stevie's version of "Crystal" is soooooo much better than Lindsey's.
- The Soundstage versions of "Sara," "Landslide," and "Gold Dust Woman" are all just as good if not better than their album versions.
- "Love Is" is just as good as any of her older ballads...and I much prefer the album version to the demo.
- The Live at Red Rocks concert is horrible and almost unlistenable.
- The live version of "Beautiful Child" from "Live in Boston" is better than the album version.
- I prefer Stevie's deeper voice to her 70's voice.
preach it!!!
Old 02-22-2013, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The album version of "Love Is" is one of my all time favourite songs.

I love the SYW Smile at You - especially the descending musical scale with hovering vocals at the end

I am so in love with At Last I would gobble up a Stevie album of standards with an orchestra

I think Somebody Stand By Me is one of her greatest