Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
Actually this recorded show was a much bigger deal for them than the HBO special.

Stevie also said that for this gig since it was so important they had remained relatively sober: https://books.google.it/books?id=JLf...ugs%22&f=false
However she also said later in her career that "sober" for her/them meant only alcohol and maybe a bit of pot.
The main thing I think was the fear, everyone including Stevie for her performance of the following year said that such an unprecedented big show with so many people was very unnerving.
I'm confused by your post. I was not comparing the importance of the gigs. I was pointing out how different the HBO Chain is with Stevie and Lindsey staring eachother down. On this clip, Lindsey acts like Stevie does not even exist.
Relatively sober? I don't think so. I don't care what some link says. In these days almost every rock band played drunk and high on stage. We know that this time Mick and Stevie were losing control with their substance abuse. Stevie was so hot so she could mask it a bit more. I saw Stevie live on her solo tour only 1 year after this performance and she was so high she lost control of her performances some.
So I take any statement from her with a grain of salt claiming to be relatively sober at the US Festival. Yeah ok right
Old 05-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
This.

I agree completely! I HATE all the additional musicians now. WHO decided that it just wasn't enough, them with Ray occasionally adding an acoustic guitar?
I guess it was a joint decision. My guess would be first of all, Stevie, but I think they all took some advantage of all the circus sorrounding them.

Quote:
I'd certainly guess that all the backup singers was Stevie's idea. Then I'd guess that led to more fattening.... BLECK!
Didn't she recruited Sharon on Hawaii or somewhere else? I can't remember. It certainly was her idea.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdm6789 View Post
It would have been awesome if Lindsey did the Tango tour and it was still just the five of them and they actually have live videos of it, not the reenacted performances with occasional stock audience shots added in.
Yeah, and all those Stevie's close-ups that make no sense at all, and that certainly Lindsey would have never approved had he been there.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Old 05-07-2017, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Stevie has such big wide open coke eyes right at the end of the second verse. I love how she laughs when she misses her cue. Usually she is not phased by such a thing but its great to see her have fun. Lindsey has absolutely NO eye contact with Stevie. That HBO stuff was a put on for TV
Pretty much like today. Lindsey looks at Stevie during concerts only when he has too. The rest of the time he fools around with Christine and Mick. And the audience.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Relatively sober? I don't think so. I don't care what some link says. In these days almost every rock band played drunk and high on stage. We know that this time Mick and Stevie were losing control with their substance abuse. Stevie was so hot so she could mask it a bit more. I saw Stevie live on her solo tour only 1 year after this performance and she was so high she lost control of her performances some.
So I take any statement from her with a grain of salt claiming to be relatively sober at the US Festival. Yeah ok right
Glad to hear from someone who actually saw her live during those days. Knowing her substance abuse at that time, it was hard for me to believe she never lost it on stage.

And I always claim any of her statement with a grain of salt. She should learn to shut her mouth once in a while.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I'm confused by your post. I was not comparing the importance of the gigs. I was pointing out how different the HBO Chain is with Stevie and Lindsey staring each other down. On this clip, Lindsey acts like Stevie does not even exist.
I was simply pointing out that a "put on for TV" as you mentioned should have been much more functional for them at the Us festival than the HBO show, then I said that probably they were (also) probably very unnerved by the size of the event, hence their missteps, I don't see what's confusing about it.
I am confused by the rest of your post too, I was not saying that they didn't take any drugs for the event nor the link I posted, I just posted the link to an interesting article with interviews to the Us Festivals performers that pertained to the matter, if you're not interested in reading it then you're free to do so.

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 05-07-2017 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: Lexicon
Old 05-07-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
Knowing her substance abuse at that time, it was hard for me to believe she never lost it on stage.
During the Rumours Tour on more than one date she had to be pulled up by the security guards because she kept falling from the stage, you can find it in a few paper reviews from the time.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
During the Rumours Tour on more than one date she had to be pulled up by the security guards because she kept falling from the stage, you can find it in a few paper reviews from the time.
One of the Rolling Stone reviews of one of their Rumours tour shows described her as staggering around the stage like a drunken sailor.

Old 05-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Really?! I didn't know it, but then again it's not that hard to believe. Thanks! I'll do some research tonight.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
I was simply pointing out that a "put on for TV" as you mentioned should have been much more functional for them at the Us festival than the HBO show, then I said that probably they were (also) probably very unnerved by the size of the event, hence their missteps, I don't see what's confusing about it.
I am confused by the rest of your post too, I was not saying that they didn't take any drugs for the event nor the link I posted, I just posted the link to an interesting article with interviews to the Us Festivals performers that pertained to the matter, if you're not interested in reading it then you're free to do so.
The US Festival had a huge crowd but outside the crowd no one saw it. HBO was pumped into millions of homes around the world. You had Fleetwood Mac live in concert on your TV channel. This is what hooked me as a fan. The HBO show was so much more important than the US Festival. Bands did the US Festival for the money. The Mac was paid $200k (I believe) which was an outrageous amount of money back then for one show.
The HBO special was also broadcast on VHS tape, laser disc (gosh remember them), and regular TV channels in addition to be played on MTV. I taped the concert several times on different channels over the years. I also rented the concert at the local VHS rental place (before Blockbuster). I don't think you can compare the events for audiences that viewed them. So that is understandable Stevie did not wear a tambourine on her head and they were not partying so hard like they were at the US Festival.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-07-2017 at 05:26 PM..
Old 05-07-2017, 05:36 PM

Quote:
The US Festival had a huge crowd but outside the crowd no one saw it. HBO was pumped into millions of homes around the world. You had Fleetwood Mac live in concert on your TV channel. This is what hooked me as a fan. The HBO show was so much more important than the US Festival. Bands did the US Festival for the money. The Mac was paid $200k (I believe) which was an outrageous amount of money back then for one show.
The HBO special was also broadcast on VHS tape, laser disc (gosh remember them), and regular TV channels in addition to be played on MTV. I taped the concert several times on different channels over the years. I also rented the concert at the local VHS rental place (before Blockbuster). I don't think you can compare the events for audiences that viewed them. So that is understandable Stevie did not wear a tambourine on her head and they were not partying so hard like they were at the US Festival.
Actually the Us festival was filmed and was to be viewed worldwide. The fact that it didn't happen is only because afterwards some of the other bands witheld their copyrights because of money, but most of the performances were filmed and the intention was for worldwide release. Part of the second edition was even broadcasted in the Soviet Union.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Bands did the US Festival for the money. The Mac was paid $200k (I believe) which was an outrageous amount of money back then for one show.
If my lousy memory serves me right, FM were paid 1M to perform there as the headliner. Articles at that time stressed how the night before they were performing in Florida and in order to get them to appear, a cool 1M was offered for them to play.

Also, I don't understand why you are pouncing on sisternightroad. She didn't say anything out of line to you and IMHO she deserves more respect from you.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm confused by your post. I was not comparing the importance of the gigs. I was pointing out how different the HBO Chain is with Stevie and Lindsey staring eachother down. On this clip, Lindsey acts like Stevie does not even exist.
chill a bit sis
Old 05-07-2017, 06:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
If my lousy memory serves me right, FM were paid 1M to perform there as the headliner. Articles at that time stressed how the night before they were performing in Florida and in order to get them to appear, a cool 1M was offered for them to play.

Also, I don't understand why you are pouncing on sisternightroad. She didn't say anything out of line to you and IMHO she deserves more respect from you.
I remember a million too and I think Stevie got half that the following year for the US Festival.

Old 05-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

So excited to see "new" footage, even if it's not perfect. Awesome!