User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-11-2015, 07:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
If she were in her heyday, plenty of songs would of charted in the top 40 from 24k. Radio won't play her now. She is old, she is a woman and she is rock. Country radio is too backward to play music from a so called witch. 24k is a great album. The songs from TOSOTM and TISL mostly sound like demos.
How on earth does TISL mostly sound like demos? Have you listened to the rich production and melodic structures of that album? 24 Karat Gold is literally an album composed of re-recorded demos over the course of a few weeks.

The only songs I see as could having charted are The Dealer and Starshine and those are so-so to me compared to Rooms On Fire, Long Way To Go, etc.

But yes the music industry is unfortunately ageist... And I'm mostly fan of older female singers so I'm used to seeing next to zero charting lol.

Last edited by twinmatrix; 01-11-2015 at 07:16 AM..
Old 01-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmatrix View Post
How on earth does TISL mostly sound like demos? Have you listened to the rich production and melodic structures of that album? 24 Karat Gold is literally an album composed of re-recorded demos over the course of a few weeks.

The only songs I see as could having charted are The Dealer and Starshine and those are so-so to me compared to Rooms On Fire, Long Way To Go, etc.

But yes the music industry is unfortunately ageist... And I'm mostly fan of older female singers so I'm used to seeing next to zero charting lol.
Not all songs on TISL sound like demos. The title track is great. The material is nowhere near as strong as 24k. There are no strong radio singles on the album. Rooms on Fire is a good, original single. Most of the songs from TOSOTM sound like ideas, not songs. That is an awful album. That and Street Angel just about killed her career. Thank god for The Dance.

The Dealer, Hard Advice, Blue Water, Starshine, 24k, She Still Loves Him... All could of been hits. Even Bella Fleur and I Don't Care would of gotten play.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Not all songs on TISL sound like demos. The title track is great. The material is nowhere near as strong as 24k. There are no strong radio singles on the album. Rooms on Fire is a good, original single. Most of the songs from TOSOTM sound like ideas, not songs. That is an awful album. That and Street Angel just about killed her career. Thank god for The Dance.

The Dealer, Hard Advice, Blue Water, Starshine, 24k, She Still Loves Him... All could of been hits. Even Bella Fleur and I Don't Care would of gotten play.
I'm just sitting here with an expression like

ಠ_ಠ

I can't stand I Don't Care but the other songs you mention are great, of course. I'm surprised you left out Mabel Normand and Lady, those two are really powerful. Although the former probably doesn't have commercial appeal. But neither does Blue Water.

What songs don't you like from TOSOTM? (Or should I ask which ones DO you like, haha.)

Last edited by twinmatrix; 01-11-2015 at 07:55 AM..
Old 01-11-2015, 08:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

ಠ_ಠ

I can't stand I Don't Care but the other songs you mention are great, of course. I'm surprised you left out Mabel Normand and Lady, those two are really powerful. Although the former probably doesn't have commercial appeal. But neither does Blue Water.

What songs don't you like from TOSOTM? (Or should I ask which ones DO you like, haha.)
I like Rooms on Fire, Juliet and ooh My Love.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

ಠ_ಠ

Questions:

When did you become a fan of Stevie's and how old are you?
Old 01-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Became a fan about 2 years ago and I'm mid-twenties. So no, I wasn't around for the releases of these albums and am basing my opinion purely on taste and what I've read. I'm a pretty new fan.

Questions:

How old are you and when did you become a fan? \(゚ー゚\)

Although I have to say, aside from Stevie I haven't become a fan of any new singer in 5 years or so. I'm really picky when it comes to liking an artist, so discovering her was fantastic. Her background story, personality, ambiguous lyrics, rich production and unique voice really resonate with me. Out of all the artists I listen to, her, Dido and Avril Lavigne are probably the people I could get along with the most.

Last edited by twinmatrix; 01-11-2015 at 09:28 AM..
Old 01-11-2015, 10:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Became a fan about 2 years ago and I'm mid-twenties. So no, I wasn't around for the releases of these albums and am basing my opinion purely on taste and what I've read. I'm a pretty new fan.

Questions:

How old are you and when did you become a fan? \(゚ー゚\)

Although I have to say, aside from Stevie I haven't become a fan of any new singer in 5 years or so. I'm really picky when it comes to liking an artist, so discovering her was fantastic. Her background story, personality, ambiguous lyrics, rich production and unique voice really resonate with me. Out of all the artists I listen to, her, Dido and Avril Lavigne are probably the people I could get along with the most.
We are coming from different perspectives. I grew up on Rumours and Bella Donna, so that was the sound and production that made me a fan. If you became a fan because of TISL or TOSOTM no wonder you don't like 24K Gold. In my arrogance, I have forgotten that those albums actually did create some fans besides losing fans. So sorry for that.

To me, 24k Gold is the kind of album that made Stevie famous. But not to everyone...
Old 01-11-2015, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
We are coming from different perspectives. I grew up on Rumours and Bella Donna, so that was the sound and production that made me a fan. If you became a fan because of TISL or TOSOTM no wonder you don't like 24K Gold. In my arrogance, I have forgotten that those albums actually did create some fans besides losing fans. So sorry for that.

To me, 24k Gold is the kind of album that made Stevie famous. But not to everyone...
Ah, that's a good point. I can see the similarities between her first work and 24K Gold; of course those songs were written mostly around the era you became a fan.

I became a fan because of her other side of the catalogue (pun intended), so yeah we have a different perspective. Although I do love 24K, my taste is more TISL-style.

It's all good. I love an artist who has different music styles. Gives the fans something to discuss.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I love it when fans get into heated discussions on here about which Stevie albums have mass appeal and which don't.

I mean, we are the last people who anyone should be asking about that. You guys know that, right?

I love 24kg but it is definitely an album of non-hooky deep cuts that were released because fans kept clamouring on about how much they loved the old demos. It is completely reasonable to call it a "fan" album. Whatever you might think of the quality of TOSTOM, it was conceived as an album of glossy pop songs by a commercially hot producer. Totally different mentality behind it. But I don't really see why the comparison even came up.

Stevie's never received much attention from the Grammy's, but that's fine with me. Any artist who puts "Grammy Award Winning" before their name is usually a guaranteed bore. I'm good!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I love it when fans get into heated discussions on here about which Stevie albums have mass appeal and which don't.

I mean, we are the last people who anyone should be asking about that. You guys know that, right?

I love 24kg but it is definitely an album of non-hooky deep cuts that were released because fans kept clamouring on about how much they loved the old demos. It is completely reasonable to call it a "fan" album. Whatever you might think of the quality of TOSTOM, it was conceived as an album of glossy pop songs by a commercially hot producer. Totally different mentality behind it. But I don't really see why the comparison even came up.

Stevie's never received much attention from the Grammy's, but that's fine with me. Any artist who puts "Grammy Award Winning" before their name is usually a guaranteed bore. I'm good!
I lost track of the discussion somewhere in the middle as well, haha.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
She had a major push from The Dance for TISL that led the album to go gold. But the album didn't live up to the hype and never got good word of mouth and just died.
Key here being that she *had* a major push from The Dance, and then waited 4 years to capitalize on it and release an album.

*insert sad, despondent tuba sounds here*

Also, Planets hit number one on the Billboard Dance charts. 1. I'd say that goes beyond something only fans would like.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-12-2015, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Key here being that she *had* a major push from The Dance, and then waited 4 years to capitalize on it and release an album.

*insert sad, despondent tuba sounds here*

Also, Planets hit number one on the Billboard Dance charts. 1. I'd say that goes beyond something only fans would like.
That remix is atrocious, though. I have no idea how that ever happened.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jondalar and twinmatrix:

I have to disagree with you both. 24KG is a great album, IMO, its probably the closest she's come to an album with the sound and quality level of Bella Donna. I agree with Jondalar that many of the songs would have been hits in Nicks' heyday: the title track, "Starshine," "Blue Water," possibly "Lady".

On the other hand, OSOTM and TISL are much better albums than Jondalar gives them credit for. OSOTM is probably Nicks' most underrated album, IMO. The writing is solid, "Rooms On Fire" and "Whole Lotta Trouble" are great tracks. TISL in particular is a very strong album, a solid comeback, and had great success: Top 5, nearly 700,000 in sales in the US, two Top 20 AC hits ("Every Day" and "Sorcerer"), and a number 1 dance hit "Planets of the Universe".
Old 01-12-2015, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
That remix is atrocious, though. I have no idea how that ever happened.
Right?! When I put Stevie on shuffle on my phone, any time one of those Planets remixes come up I skip them because they sound so dated.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 01-12-2015, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Jondalar and twinmatrix:

I have to disagree with you both. 24KG is a great album, IMO, its probably the closest she's come to an album with the sound and quality level of Bella Donna. I agree with Jondalar that many of the songs would have been hits in Nicks' heyday: the title track, "Starshine," "Blue Water," possibly "Lady".

On the other hand, OSOTM and TISL are much better albums than Jondalar gives them credit for. OSOTM is probably Nicks' most underrated album, IMO. The writing is solid, "Rooms On Fire" and "Whole Lotta Trouble" are great tracks. TISL in particular is a very strong album, a solid comeback, and had great success: Top 5, nearly 700,000 in sales in the US, two Top 20 AC hits ("Every Day" and "Sorcerer"), and a number 1 dance hit "Planets of the Universe".
Hey, I'm not disagreeing with you. I never questioned the album's quality. I merely stated it was a "fan album", because it's comprised of old demos that were re-recorded at the persistent request of fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Right?! When I put Stevie on shuffle on my phone, any time one of those Planets remixes come up I skip them because they sound so dated.
Yeah, I kinda like dance music, but that Illicit Mix...

Last edited by twinmatrix; 01-12-2015 at 02:02 PM..