Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-12-2013, 02:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Top 10 Most Iconic Mac Songs

What do you think are the top 10 most iconic Mac songs? Not necessarily your favorite songs, but the ones that made a strong impact on the public and are, in various ways, part of the popular imagination? Songs, too, that are emblematic of the eras when they were originally released...

Here's my list:

1. The Chain

2. Oh Well

3. Tusk

4. Go Your Own Way

5. Hypnotized

6. Rhiannon

7. Don't Stop

8. Little Lies

9. Future Games

10. Albatross

Honorable Mention: Station Man
Old 05-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Landslide
2. Go Your Own Way
3. Little Lies
4. Dreams
5. Rhiannon
6. Tusk
7. Gypsy
8. Everywhere
9. Don't Stop
10.The Chain
Old 05-12-2013, 04:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Oh Well
2. Albatross
3. The Chain
4. Don't Stop
5. Go Your Own Way
6. Dreams
7. Songbird
8. Tusk
9. Little Lies
10. Everywhere
Old 05-12-2013, 05:30 AM
Junior Ledgie

When I was a non-fan, I knew GYOW, Rhiannon and Don't Stop were Fleetwood Mac songs (the other songs I knew, but I didn't know who sang them). Actually GYOW was the only song I owned by them for a long time, since it was on the Forrest Gump soundtrack that was reissued in the early 2000s. GYOW is also their only song in the R&R Hall of Fame's top 500 songs, as well as Rolling Stone's newest top 500. Random info I found out when I started getting into the band.

1. Go Your Own Way
2. Don't Stop
3. Rhiannon
4. Little Lies
5. Dreams
6. Landslide
7. The Chain
8. Say You Love Me
9. Over My Head
10. Tusk
Old 05-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Surprised nobody's yet put Big Love, actually. Maybe it's just a UK thing.

No real order:

Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop
Little Lies
Everywhere
Landslide
Dreams
Rhiannon
Gypsy
Songbird
Big Love

Is The Chain really in the general popular consciousness all that much? It's a clear fan-favourite, but beyond that I'm not so sure. It did feel sad/weird leaving it out though
Old 05-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
Surprised nobody's yet put Big Love, actually. Maybe it's just a UK thing.

No real order:

Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop
Little Lies
Everywhere
Landslide
Dreams
Rhiannon
Gypsy
Songbird
Big Love

Is The Chain really in the general popular consciousness all that much? It's a clear fan-favourite, but beyond that I'm not so sure. It did feel sad/weird leaving it out though
I was thinking Big Love too but didn't think TITN should over-represented on my list!

I think in UK The Chain is iconic because of its association with Formula One. I'd say it has quite wide appeal and influence.

I probably ought to have included Rhiannon but I didn't have room.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpian View Post
I was thinking Big Love too but didn't think TITN should over-represented on my list!
It's a pretty iffy album on the whole, isn't it? But the singles are fantastic and (bar Seven Wonders) have really endured. Christine's singles actually sound quite contemporary. I think a lot of people my age don't even know that Everywhere is a decades-old song.

You may be right about The Chain. I just remembered that, when I first bought Rumours, it was one of the few songs that I didn't already know. But I kind of live in a cave, so it may be wrong to generalize that impression to the general population.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's a pretty iffy album on the whole, isn't it? But the singles are fantastic and (bar Seven Wonders) have really endured. Christine's singles actually sound quite contemporary. I think a lot of people my age don't even know that Everywhere is a decades-old song.

You may be right about The Chain. I just remembered that, when I first bought Rumours, it was one of the few songs that I didn't already know. But I kind of live in a cave, so it may be wrong to generalize that impression to the general population.
Actually TITN is my favourite FM album!

I just think in terms of iconic songs it's probably only got three and I feel the two Christine singles are slightly ahead in the popular consciousness. Though I really like the studio version of Big Love and it is very evocative of the 80s for me.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I really enjoy Tango In The Night, too. Little Lies was the song that caught me by surprise when I heard it on the radio and made me revisit Fleetwood Mac, the combination of Christine's ethereal pop voice and Stevie's powerful backing vocals, which speak to how strong and iconic her voice is even when used minimally. But that song hasn't been performed live in over 20 years.

But when ranking the most iconic Fleetwood Mac songs, I think that Rolling Stone Magazine got it right with their recent poll, which probably captures the most iconic Mac songs and not 'the 10 best' songs. Stevie's songs dominate here, since it is her persona that continues to dominate over the other songwriters:

1. Landslide

2. The Chain

3. Go Your Own Way

4. Rhiannon

5. Dreams

6. Gold Dust Woman

7. Oh Well/Albatross

8. Gypsy

9. Sara

10. Don't Stop

***Edit: If Rumours-era only, replace Oh Well/Albatross with Say You Love Me and move to last place. You Make Loving Fun is the better song, but Say You Love Me is definitely more iconic.
***Tango in the Night songs don't make the cut, since I don't think they are as iconic as these, really pervading pop culture. Remember, this isn't about best songs but most iconic. Again, Stevie was really the person who most facilitated that. Tango songs aren't performed besides Big Love, and there really is no call by fans demanding for them, saying aw shucks I want Little Lies.
***I think Tusk is probably too divisive and I wouldn't rank it over any of these.

Last edited by bethelblues; 05-12-2013 at 10:00 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

You Make Loving Fun

Landslide

The Chain

Go Your Own Way

Rhiannon

Sara

Oh Well

Tusk

Black Magic Woman/Albatross (can't choose)

Why

Last edited by shackin'up; 05-12-2013 at 09:57 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up View Post
You Make Loving Fun

Landslide

The Chain

Go Your Own Way

Rhiannon

Sara

Oh Well

Tusk

Black Magic Woman/Albatross (can't choose)

Why
This list comes as a total surprise to me considering your love of Buckingham. It proves to me you actually do have a fair mind.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
I really enjoy Tango In The Night, too. Little Lies was the song that caught me by surprise when I heard it on the radio and made me revisit Fleetwood Mac, the combination of Christine's ethereal pop voice and Stevie's powerful backing vocals, which speak to how strong and iconic her voice is even when used minimally. But that song hasn't been performed live in over 20 years.

But when ranking the most iconic Fleetwood Mac songs, I think that Rolling Stone Magazine got it right with their recent poll, which probably captures the most iconic Mac songs and not 'the 10 best' songs. Stevie's songs dominate here, since it is her persona that continues to dominate over the other songwriters:

1. Landslide

2. The Chain

3. Go Your Own Way

4. Rhiannon

5. Dreams

6. Gold Dust Woman

7. Oh Well/Albatross

8. Gypsy

9. Sara

10. Don't Stop

***Edit: If Rumours-era only, replace Oh Well/Albatross with Say You Love Me and move to last place. You Make Loving Fun is the better song, but Say You Love Me is definitely more iconic.
***Tango in the Night songs don't make the cut, since I don't think they are as iconic as these, really pervading pop culture. Remember, this isn't about best songs but most iconic. Again, Stevie was really the person who most facilitated that. Tango songs aren't performed besides Big Love, and there really is no call by fans demanding for them, saying aw shucks I want Little Lies.
***I think Tusk is probably too divisive and I wouldn't rank it over any of these.
Strange. The TITN songs are hugely iconic in the UK, so my view is different to yours.

Also, I don't know about "Oh Well/Albatross"! I think if we are talking about iconic songs then they must be treated distinctly.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelblues View Post
But not being performed live isn't necessarily indicative of how "iconic" a song is, is it? Sara wasn't performed live very often for a long while, too. I think Little Lies is a song that'd be very difficult to get right in a live context. Also, Christine McVie hasn't been in the band for 16 years which is largely why we don't hear those. So that leaves Big Love. Little Lies and Everywhere are songs that I hear very frequently on the radio, and everybody seems to recognize them and respond with enthusiasm. Sounds iconic to me. But that may vary with your geographic location, as well.

I promise, if I was going by "best" instead of "most iconic", my list would've been quite different.

ETA: Ulpian, you beat me to it! And yes, I'm not sure how Oh Well and Albatross can be treated as one song. That seems an odd choice on Rolling Stone's part.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought about putting Little Lies on. But couldn't figure if I would actually rank it above Sara or Gypsy. For me, the top 6 are very obvious: Landslide, The Chain, Go Your Own Way, Rhiannon, Dreams, and Gold Dust Woman. Don't Stop also has to be on the list, since it was the song of the president. That leaves 3 spots. Again, yeah, if I remove the Oh Well/Albatross nod to Peter Green I'd probably put Say You Love Me over Little Lies.

Little Lies sounded pretty good on the Tango DVD. I know Sara wasn't performed live very often, but there is the whole following of fans who try to find out what the lyrics mean since they are so ambiguous. That is fascinating. It's a classic song that speaks to the sound of the band and the mystical, enigmatic quality of Stevie Nicks. And Gypsy gets in alone for that fantastic music video...amazing, the best from the band, and one that Lindsey isn't front and center (his lip syncing is absolutely dreadful).

So updated, list with Albatross and Oh Well distinction (Rolling Stone only went with Oh Well and included Silver Springs instead of Don't Stop...I used that supposed list of 'best FM songs' as a jumping off point, since I think it speaks more to their most iconic songs):

1. Landslide

2. The Chain

3. Go Your Own Way

4. Rhiannon

5. Dreams

6. Gold Dust Woman

7. Oh Well

8. Gypsy

9. Sara

10. Don't Stop

11. Albatross

12. Say You Love Me

13. Little Lies

Last edited by bethelblues; 05-12-2013 at 10:21 AM..
Old 05-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But not being performed live isn't necessarily indicative of how "iconic" a song is, is it? Sara wasn't performed live very often for a long while, too. I think Little Lies is a song that'd be very difficult to get right in a live context. Also, Christine McVie hasn't been in the band for 16 years which is largely why we don't hear those. So that leaves Big Love. Little Lies and Everywhere are songs that I hear very frequently on the radio, and everybody seems to recognize them and respond with enthusiasm. Sounds iconic to me. But that may vary with your geographic location, as well.

I promise, if I was going by "best" instead of "most iconic", my list would've been quite different.

ETA: Ulpian, you beat me to it! And yes, I'm not sure how Oh Well and Albatross can be treated as one song. That seems an odd choice on Rolling Stone's part.
Agreed! I seem to recall some general disappointment when The Dance concert aired that they didn't do Little Lies. IMO it's the standout, iconic song from that album and not playing it live doesn't make a jot of difference really.