Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Calling Chris experts

OK, this one might be solved immediately or it might be a bit of a mystery... but I figure someone here will know.

I picked up a DVD of various Mac stuff, including some rehearsals at Benifold which I've never seen before. It's the Kiln House line-up plus Christine, playing in some room at the house, and they do gentle versions of 'One Sunny Day' and 'Station Man' interspersed with film of the band letting off fireworks (suggesting early November 1970) and generally larking about, also walking through the grounds of the house. There's also a short clip of Pete Townsend of The Who saying complimentary things, and a voiceover from Mick, with strange (Japanese?) subtitles.

The puzzle I have is this: after this stuff comes a very short song by Chris, with just Danny and Jeremy for company - filmed outside in the grounds, at twilight. It looks wonderful, really atmospheric, and Chris looks great. So what's the song? There's only a couple of verses, and the words suggest the song just might possibly be called something like 'Bye Bye Baby' - the lyrics go something like:

Bye bye baby, bye bye baby, bye bye
I said, bye bye baby, bye bye baby, bye bye... etc.

The first verse has something to do with 'see you when your train gets back' or something like that - can't quite make it out yet. Is it a cover, or one of her own? She plays simple keyboard with sparse accompaniment from the guitar boys. There's loads of stuff on the DVD - haven't even seen all of it yet - some stuff with Bob Weston also, and later stuff - looks like '74. Any information? I mean, it can't be that rare, or I wouldn't have it
Old 01-31-2006, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bretonbanquet
OK, this one might be solved immediately or it might be a bit of a mystery... but I figure someone here will know.

I picked up a DVD of various Mac stuff, including some rehearsals at Benifold which I've never seen before. It's the Kiln House line-up plus Christine, playing in some room at the house, and they do gentle versions of 'One Sunny Day' and 'Station Man' interspersed with film of the band letting off fireworks (suggesting early November 1970) and generally larking about, also walking through the grounds of the house. There's also a short clip of Pete Townsend of The Who saying complimentary things, and a voiceover from Mick, with strange (Japanese?) subtitles.

The puzzle I have is this: after this stuff comes a very short song by Chris, with just Danny and Jeremy for company - filmed outside in the grounds, at twilight. It looks wonderful, really atmospheric, and Chris looks great. So what's the song? There's only a couple of verses, and the words suggest the song just might possibly be called something like 'Bye Bye Baby' - the lyrics go something like:

Bye bye baby, bye bye baby, bye bye
I said, bye bye baby, bye bye baby, bye bye... etc.

The first verse has something to do with 'see you when your train gets back' or something like that - can't quite make it out yet. Is it a cover, or one of her own? She plays simple keyboard with sparse accompaniment from the guitar boys. There's loads of stuff on the DVD - haven't even seen all of it yet - some stuff with Bob Weston also, and later stuff - looks like '74. Any information? I mean, it can't be that rare, or I wouldn't have it
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have that little 8 minute Kiln House video clip on videotape. The song that Chris is singing is "When The Train Comes Back". It's a Chicken Shack song written by Christine. It was on their first album, 40 Blue Fingers Freshly Packed And Ready To Serve. That video is fantastic! Lis sent it to me, but it is pretty rare. She's the first person that I know who had it. I've never heard of anyone who has it on DVD. My video ends with the Pete Townsend footage. I don't have anything about a Mick voiceover with Japanese subtitles. Lis might be able to tell you even more about it.

Here are some still pictures from the video. Lis put them in the Chris & John story, which is at the top of the Chris forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mcvies41.jpg (99.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by macfan 57; 01-31-2006 at 06:48 PM..
Old 01-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wow that was quick!! Thanks!

Excellent, I'm glad it's her song and that it's available elsewhere, that album was on my "to buy" list anyway. It's a wonderful clip - such a shame that kind of thing isn't more widely available.

The voiceover from Mick was while the band were arriving at the house in a Jeep, they get out and walk into the house. Jeremy has his little son with him. I have the clip from Pete Townsend during 'Station Man'.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:53 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have that little 8 minute Kiln House video clip on videotape. The song that Chris is singing is "When The Train Comes Back". It's a Chicken Shack song written by Christine. It was on their first album, 40 Blue Fingers Freshly Packed And Ready To Serve. That video is fantastic! Lis sent it to me, but it is pretty rare. She's the first person that I know who had it. I've never heard of anyone who has it on DVD. My video ends with the Pete Townsend footage. I don't have anything about a Mick voiceover with Japanese subtitles. Lis might be able to tell you even more about it.

Here are some still pictures from the video. Lis put them in the Chris & John story, which is at the top of the Chris forum.

yeah, what she said! Mary anne covered it pretty well.

What is Mick saying on your DVD, bretonbanquet??? I don't think i have that part. I LOVE that little bit of tape, it is so precious to me. I may have to trade something for yours though, it sounds really neat.

-Lis
Old 01-31-2006, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Wow that was quick!! Thanks!

Excellent, I'm glad it's her song and that it's available elsewhere, that album was on my "to buy" list anyway. It's a wonderful clip - such a shame that kind of thing isn't more widely available.

The voiceover from Mick was while the band were arriving at the house in a Jeep, they get out and walk into the house. Jeremy has his little son with him. I have the clip from Pete Townsend during 'Station Man'.

oh wait, maybe i do have that bit and just forgot about it. but i still may want to trade something for that DVD!

-Lis
Old 01-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, I will just play it once more and get a hold of what Mick is saying - I've only played it once so far. Those pics that Mary Anne posted are the exact thing that Mick is talking over.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, we have an American voice saying how the band have had three No. 1 records in the UK (??) then Mick talking about the band's music being like hypnotic 'longtime overnight' rhythm - how on a bad night it can be a terrible bore, but like African drumming, the rhythm is inescapable. Ring any bells with you guys?

And we have some kind of Far Eastern text on the screen at the same time.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
OK, we have an American voice saying how the band have had three No. 1 records in the UK (??) then Mick talking about the band's music being like hypnotic 'longtime overnight' rhythm - how on a bad night it can be a terrible bore, but like African drumming, the rhythm is inescapable. Ring any bells with you guys?

And we have some kind of Far Eastern text on the screen at the same time.

yes, I remember those words, but is that Mick talking?? I thought it was somebody else. ??

-Lis
Old 01-31-2006, 07:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That is definitely not Mick talking. It's just the announcer. I'm going to have to get my video out again.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenguin
yes, I remember those words, but is that Mick talking?? I thought it was somebody else. ??

-Lis
Yup, I'm fairly sure that's Mick - I'm just waiting for him to start on with 'These Strange Times'... anyway, who else would talk about African drumming and come out with stuff like a "hypnotic longtime overnight feel"? I don't know who else it would be anyway.

Other stuff on this DVD includes tons of Green-era stuff, including what's on the commercially available video, with other bits like 'Coming Your Way' off the Hugh Hefner 'Playboy After Dark' thing - also the Beat Club 'Dragonfly' video - love that so much. Also we have 'Miles Away' and 'Believe Me' from some kind of Chuck Berry TV show, plus 'Green Manalishi', 'Spare Me A Little' and a lengthy 'Bermuda Triangle' from '74 - and who is the second keyboardist on that show?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

I've got it, It was Alexis Korner.

John
Old 01-31-2006, 07:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
That is definitely not Mick talking. It's just the announcer. I'm going to have to get my video out again.
Well, my announcer is American, and the two voices are definitely not one and the same
Old 01-31-2006, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
I've got it, It was Alexis Korner.

John
Ah - that might explain it - do you know for sure? You have the video too then
Old 01-31-2006, 07:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

I had the whole "Black, white & blues" doc & just kept the FM related clips when I tranferred my VHS to DVD. That part is said when they are getting out of the jeep & going in to the house (though AK is British, so maybe there are 2 versions floating around? It was, um, "released" in 1971 but I'm sure the Japan TV airing (undoubtedly from many years later) is the main, um, "version" that's been circulating).

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 01-31-2006 at 07:19 PM..
Old 01-31-2006, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
I had the whole "Black, white & blues" doc & just kept the FM related clips when I tranferred my VHS to DVD. That part is said when they are getting out of the jeep & going in to the house.

John
Cool! That's that sorted out then - it sounded like Mick to me, but then it just shows you what I know I thought that documentary must be old - I guess we're lucky it's still around at all. Right so, that's why mine has Japanese subtitles then - maybe some of the voiceovers were switched as well.