Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Present Band
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

I suppose what saddens me about this tour is the retreat from the deep tracks. Its an oxymoron to accuse the Mac of a cash grab tour and never changing their setlist only to have 4 incredible deep tracks cut from the set because of the dead stares from the audience. They are trapped in their own past and cant even do a concert without making Rumours their centerpiece with or without Lindsey. Those songs are what the masses buy the tickets for. For the love of God, they are performing Second Hand News and Go Your Own Way without him.
Other artists put their craft above the masses. They may not want to do this but see way too many dollar signs to do anything other than the same set for 20 years.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 12-28-2018 at 02:54 PM..
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
If Lindsey hadn't been fired, he would be the one playing Dreams and Rhiannon and Don't Stop night after night. If Lindsey was still in FM, the band would still be resting on its achievements and style of the seventies, right? Or does that not apply to the band if Lindsey is with them?

If Lindsey was in FM, it would still be a cash grab tour. As opposed to a tour where they play 4 new songs, which then somehow wouldn't be a cash grab tour I really don't get it- the same people who hate FM now talk about how this tour is 'just' a cash grab tour, like somehow it wouldn't have been if Lindsey were still in the band. Look, he wanted to record new material, but he was more than happy to go on the road with FM and sing the same hits they've been doing for 40+years. We know this because he sued them for the money he would have gotten from the tour. Despite the fact that they wouldn't record new material, he WANTED to tour with them, singing the same songs he's been doing for 40+years- I felt that beared repeating became some people seem to gloss over that point completely.

I love this tour, and if Lindsey had still been with them, I would have hoped they still played most of the songs they did. No Don't Dream It's Over or Free Falling maybe, even though I loved those songs as performed by them, but more of Lindsey's songs would have been great. All Over Again, Tell Me All the Things, Isn't It Midnight, Black Magic Woman, all fantastic.
You forgot to mention if it were UP TO LINDSEY, their would be NEW MUSIC.
Old 01-14-2019, 12:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I went to one of the Forum shows in December and thought they were great.
The energy level was something I haven't seen in them since the early 80's.
Stevie was a powerhouse, Mick and John and Mike were spectacular. Neil was really good.

But something was clearly missing for me -- the unique sound that makes Fleetwood Mac different from every other band. Lindsey's tone and heft and harmony just isn't replaceable.

I'm glad I went, but that was it for me. Won't be seeing them again w/o Lindsey Buckingham.

On a lighter / brighter note, I'm really looking forward to seeing Lindsey on the 2nd leg of his tour. It's really his playing that has made me a lifelong FM fan.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:24 AM
Ledgie

My thoughts of the new band are limited to being a touring act with nothing new to perform. That thought can change if the band chooses to record.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon View Post
My thoughts of the new band are limited to being a touring act with nothing new to perform. That thought can change if the band chooses to record.
With the tour going to New Zealand, I wonder if they’ll stop by Neil’s studio. With everyone having fresh chops, it seems like that would be a great time to record.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-17-2019, 02:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The new band is embarrassing. That's my thought.

No new music (though Mick led with the promise that new songs--"calling cards"--were forthcoming). An increasingly tired setlist. Long speeches and Tom Petty tributes. Crowded House features.

Yuck.

Others might disagree but none of what's happening now with the band will have any impact on any listener beyond this tour. It's simply not real. We can pretend there's a future here but unless new music comes in the form of a long-player album, I'm not seeing it.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
Long speeches and Tom Petty tributes. Crowded House features.
I actually found the speeches to be significantly shorter than the past few FM related tours I’ve seen. Lindsey IMO gets too carried away with psychobabble, and that’s definitely something I didn’t miss. To be fair to Lindsey, he seems to have toned that down a bit.

Quote:
We can pretend there's a future here but unless new music comes in the form of a long-player album, I'm not seeing it.
And that’s really the big question.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 01-18-2019, 01:47 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
With the tour going to New Zealand, I wonder if they’ll stop by Neil’s studio. With everyone having fresh chops, it seems like that would be a great time to record.
It could be a possibility to record an extended play and release it online.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:50 AM
Ledgie

Hi
Just a heads up to say that in guitar world there is a new interview with Mike Cambell where he discusses his new role with FM etc. I won't spill all the beans here,but if you head over to www.guitarworld.com and use the search facility for Mike Cambell and scroll down the various articles you will come across it.
Amongst the interesting info, Mike states that he hopes FM will record new music at some point.

Blue Horizon
Old 01-19-2019, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Horizon View Post
Amongst the interesting info, Mike states that he hopes FM will record new music at some point.
That's all I want, new music.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
That's all I want, new music.
Same here. The tours are redundant and have been for years. With or without Lindsey.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzo View Post
Same here. The tours are redundant and have been for years. With or without Lindsey.
I totally agree.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Horizon View Post
Hi
Just a heads up to say that in guitar world there is a new interview with Mike Cambell where he discusses his new role with FM etc. I won't spill all the beans here,but if you head over to www.guitarworld.com and use the search facility for Mike Cambell and scroll down the various articles you will come across it.

Blue Horizon
Even if they do record something, I'd venture to say they have tapped out the market. Between the last two tours and now this one, even with 3 new tracks mixed into the same set..I don't know how many tickets they can move again. They don't have 5 years to lay low again either.

The sad thing is, if they really decided to reinvent their entire approach as a band they would have more opportunities. New material, new arrangements, and smaller venues might create a new direction for them. It would be less money and we know how this band sways with the direction of cash, so I'm not optimistic any of it will happen. They would have to break out of the arena hits show mentality and actually dig in deep as artists. They could still present some of the hits in a different way but it would take effort and time.

The fact that Mike thought it was worth learning 40 or 50 tracks is so darn laughable. Nobody was willing to be real enough to hand him a sheet with the core 20 tracks!? I mean let's cut the carp. This wasn't John Mayer learning the Dead's catalog. That gig does actually require that much learning.

They could have a nice run if they would be willing to let go of the status quo as they know it, but I'm not sure certain egos will entertain that path of thinking. I feel bad for Mike, there could be a lot of disappointment ahead once the tour wraps up.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Neil Finn just gave an interview on BBC Radio and he said that band members are emailing him short musical ideas and he's organizing them and starting to write songs out of some of these ideas.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
Neil Finn just gave an interview on BBC Radio and he said that band members are emailing him short musical ideas and he's organizing them and starting to write songs out of some of these ideas.
That’s what led to Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie. It was Christine and Lindsey bouncing ideas off each other with the intention of making a Fleetwood Mac album. Unless one of members is Stevie, look for a McVie & Finn album sometime next year (which I’d be fine with).

THE Stephen Hopkins