User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdweller View Post
The Eagles are patriotic? Don Henley is a raging liberal.

Since when has "patriotic" become exclusively a conservative/right wing phenomena? "Liberals" can't be "patriotic"?? ****, I didn't get the memo.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post

Since when has "patriotic" become exclusively a conservative/right wing phenomena? "Liberals" can't be "patriotic"?? ****, I didn't get the memo.
Agreed. Some politicians & "celebrity" politicians/pundits would like the public to believe it's symbiotic with being a republican/conservative.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Two discs? Try their entire catalogue...Adult Contemporary/Country-Rock drivel. The latest album is no different than what they've always done. You can equally distribute this new album as bonus tracks among their pre-1979 albums and you'd have difficulty telling that they were "new" songs. They were playing "How Long" (written by JD Souther) in their concert sets as early as 1972.
Maybe it's just because I really don't particularly like anything off of their new album. There are two I can stomach and they're No More Cloudy Days and How Long. It's funny what you said about How Long, it's one of only 2 songs I like and it ain't even really theirs. Figures...
Old 01-12-2011, 12:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Okay, point well taken, it's just that I don't know a whole lot of liberals who refer to themselves as patriotic, they tend to distance themselves from the term. Also, I don't know if The Eagles refer to themselves as patriotic, but my guess is no. Furthermore? "Patriotic" is not the first adjective that springs to mind when I think of The Eagles. That's all I'm saying.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Hi! I think this is my first post on the Rumours section, which actually is my favourite FM period. I think one of the reasons that SYW is considered as less of a success is because it is also slowly being written out of the band's history - by themselves. I mean, it wouldn't have hurt to throw in "Thrown Down" in the Unleashed setlist. I know it was all about the hits, but to the casual fan, surely "Storms" and "I know I'm not wrong" were just as obscure. They could at least have given the impression that they have been recording songs after 1987 and maybe even raised interest in some of the recent stuff.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by peer_gynt10 View Post
I mean, it wouldn't have hurt to throw in "Thrown Down" in the Unleashed setlist. I know it was all about the hits, but to the casual fan, surely "Storms" and "I know I'm not wrong" were just as obscure. They could at least have given the impression that they have been recording songs after 1987 and maybe even raised interest in some of the recent stuff.
The latter especially. Very good point

Welcome aboard!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:38 AM
Junior Ledgie

@ Peer, good point, welcome as well.
To me the album itself fusing to views one new songs by stevie and lindsey trying to put his work for a solo album into the mix...If they ever do an album they must not say this is something they were already going to do on their own.It needs to be fresh(which I think it was was stated for the Unleashed tour reasoning. God bless for Say you will though it is a killer album, just a few songs I like I do love Not make believe..... should have been on say you will in the first place
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
and Right Place to Fade, Gift of Screws, Wait for You (on which Mick and John play) would have made for an electrifying Mac album.
I'd love these tracks to have been on the record. I especially think that Stevie's backing vocals could have worked really well on Wait For You. I LOVE the version we have on Gift Of Screws but out of all the tracks on that album, that's the one I can really hear working with FM.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Were the eagles doing the Straight-to-walmart-release? that has really worked to their advantage. FM needed to use Thrown Down as the lead single.Period. not Peace keeper (bwa ba ba bwa bwa bwa) It was at a time when people were being obnoxious about ANYONE using the word "peace", it meant you were against the war which for a while was a bit taboo. now it would be fine. i remember comments on aol musics first listen people were like "take your PEACE somewhere else." which is dumb, cause the lyrics are actually "take no prisoners only kill"
I agree with you 100%!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodfather View Post
I'd love these tracks to have been on the record. I especially think that Stevie's backing vocals could have worked really well on Wait For You. I LOVE the version we have on Gift Of Screws but out of all the tracks on that album, that's the one I can really hear working with FM.
I love this idea!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

To me, Say You Will is a Lindsey Buckingham solo album with 8 or 9 bonus tracks featuring Stevie Nicks. It never sounded like a Fleetwood Mac record to my ears and while it did feature some standout cuts (mostly Lindsey's songs) it was just too damn long. Some selective editing would have improved it slightly. Most of Lindsey's songs on this record are fantastic - Stevie's not so much.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
To me, Say You Will is a Lindsey Buckingham solo album with 8 or 9 bonus tracks featuring Stevie Nicks. It never sounded like a Fleetwood Mac record to my ears and while it did feature some standout cuts (mostly Lindsey's songs) it was just too damn long. Some selective editing would have improved it slightly. Most of Lindsey's songs on this record are fantastic - Stevie's not so much.
Well I think as we all know that's really what SYW was. LB's stuff was completed before SN even showed up. Her background was all added in after the fact, and some of those LB songs were never touched.

It's really difficult for this to sound like a true Rumours era album without CM as has been talked about at length. But this album missed on some of the core trademarks of a FM album. FM really is at it's best when songs are based around Mick, and John, with guitar parts added or layered over the top. With great harmony flowing between vocalist.

SYW used a totally different formula, the guitar on this album on nearly every song is the lead intstrument, relegating Mick and John to little more than just a rythm section. (With a few exceptions, John on Smile at You for example)

The album was too long, as I stated earlier in this thread. Either a decision needed to be made to make this album a double and get really creative or go for the biggest market share and go smaller with radio ready hits.

With Christine

1. Thrown Down
2. Friend
3. Peacekeeper
4. Steal Your Heart Away
5. Say you will
6. You are
7. What's the world coming to
8. Silver Girl
9. Say Goodbye
10. Bleed to love her
11. Forgiveness
12. Come
13. Goodbye Baby

Without Christine

1. Thrown Down
2. Peacekeeper
3. Say you will
4. Steal your heart away
5. What's the world coming to
6. Silver Girl
7. Down on Rodeo
8. Destiny Rules
9. Say Goodbye
10. Bleed to love her
11. Come
12. Goodbye Baby
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default For those of you who don't read MacNuggetts

Taken from the web

Brad asked: "What do you think of Say You Will?"
Well, what I thought was my copy of it is still sitting here in my parents' house, and when I went to grab it, both discs were missing and a spider crawled out.

But then I spent $9.99 on a replacement and, after listening to it for two days, I don't exactly regret it. I don't exactly not regret it, either, though.

I mean, I don't know, I should like this album. I loved Lindsey's tracks when they were passed around as a shelved solo album called Gift of Screws. (This was a different Gift of Screws than the Gift of Screws that came out in 2008.) But maybe that's the problem -- this is a Lindsey Buckingham album.

Which, adding Fleetwood Mac to a Lindsey Buckingham album doesn't do any harm -- when has Stevie Nicks harmonizing with Lindsey Buckingham ever harmed anything? -- and there are a couple of lovely new moments. The way Stevie curlicues up off the main melody at the end of "Steal Your Heart Away." The way her voice haunts Lindsey's on "Say Goodbye." (Though even that's much, much better live.) But on most of the songs, Fleetwood Mac feels like an afterthought. Or not a thought at all: the Say You Will versions of "Come," "Murrow," and "Red Rover" are identical to the Gift of Screws versions of "Come," "Murrow," and "Red Rover." "Peacekeeper" is the only song that really changes with the addition of the band -- it's deeper and more urgent with Mick and John behind it, and any chorus to which Stevie Nicks is added automatically becomes a chorus of fifteen-year-olds. Which is what a song about a nation marching its children off to an endgame of a war (or something) needs!

But you know what song doesn't need a chorus of children? A song about asking a former lover for a second chance. And as long as we're talking about things that don't need to exist: "Illume." "Destiny Rules." The part of "Illume" that re-appears as part of "Destiny Rules." Stevie is really, really uneven on this album -- but the bad lyrics aren't even the biggest disappointment.

Four of Stevie's songs had been around since before this album too: "Thrown Down" was an outtake from her last solo album, Trouble in Shangri-La. "Running Through the Garden" is from at least as far back as '85. "Smile at You" demos were recorded for both Mirage and Tusk, and "Goodbye Baby" grew out of a demo called "The Tower," which I think was recorded in the late '70s.

In their demo forms, those last two were two of my favorites. "Smile at You" was a straightforward rock song built on a solid line: "My first mistake was to smile at you." "The Tower" never got past the piano-and-metronome stage, but I never thought it needed to, the throaty resign of her voice sounded better when there was space around it. And it isn't like she couldn't have done them justice, even twenty years later, even with the way she sounds now. She managed it with the three old demos that turned up on Trouble in-Shangri-La -- no, more than managed it. She made the way her voice had changed work in her favor: the Trouble in Shangri-La version of "Sorcerer," for example, starts out even, settled, so the trill comes out of nowhere and disappears just as fast, and the way that plays against the rest of her voice, and against the lyrics, it's disconcerting, it's menacing. It brings out the best of what she has now.

Say You Will, on the other hand -- the same way the band feels like an afterthought on Lindsey's tracks, Stevie's voice feels like an afterthought on Stevie's tracks. Because they sound like a Lindsey Buckingham album, too, layers of Lindsey's guitars, layers of Lindsey's voice crawling up out of the shadows, that shivering dream atmosphere that works so well when he whispers or yelps against it, but makes Stevie's voice seem jarring and out of place. And it's frustrating, because there are moments where it works despite itself, moments like the verses of "Smile at You" and the middle of "Running Through the Garden," where she sounds more alive than she has in years. "Everybody Finds Out" is the worst song I've ever heard, until it becomes the best song I've ever heard, until it becomes the worst song I've ever heard. And while the lyrics are a little bit to blame, it's mostly the fault of the frantic production -- which, by the way, go pick up Tango in the Night and listen to "Big Love." Now listen to "Everybody Finds Out." Now listen to "Big Love" again. Right?

I guess what I'm trying to say is, the parts are there, but they never come together. It's like something important is missing, you know? It's like something important is missing.

http://girlboymusic.livejournal.com/307298.html
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Let's just say it could be much better.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Here's "MY" Say You Will (for now, anyway):

Say You Will
Bleed To Love Her
Thrown Down
(wall of sound version)
Try For The Sun
Destiny Rules
What's The World Coming To?
Illume
Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
Peacekeeper
Everybody Finds Out
Miranda
Smile At You
Steal Your Heart Away
Not Make Believe
Down On Rodeo
Goodbye Baby
Thats a pretty good tracklist but please, not the "wall of sound" version of Thrown Down... To me it strips everything great out of a beautiful song and replaces it with horrible, anodyne, unsubtle overproduction... Thank god Lord-Alge didn't get the chance to ruin any more songs!

I think that it's an almost perfect album creatively, from that perspective I disagree completely that it has flow issues or that it was overlong. However commercially it was definitely too much for the general buyer.

Personally I'm glad that they gave us something truly special, a record that I never ever get tired of listening to, rather than taking the easy option and putting out the 12 most commercial cuts.

Roll on the next Fleetwood Mac album!