User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:47 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default WAS SAY YOU WILL A BOMB? Please Read

Was SYW a bomb?

It’s something I have been pondering for some time. I am usually all about numbers, and it’s hard for me to admit, but I think SYW sales wise may be a bomb. Here is the thing, I have always been able to make arguments with people about sales, etc. and say “well, it didn’t sell” etc. , and usually FM I don’t need to defend it much, but I have to say, SYW has not even gone platinum, and its hard if someone said it WAS a bomb to defend it. The only argument I can see that is valid is that it did DEBUT at #3 on the Charts which is impressive, but then it fell off quickly and had no legs. The Eagles new album is what I think SYW could have been SALES WISE I mean, where it debuts high on the charts (which it did) but had legs and stayed on the charts and sold XXX million copies. The Eagles new album I THINK has sold 2-4 million copies and I just wish SYW could have said the same. I tend to bash the POST LB FM albums like Behind The Mask, but you know what, sadly, and I DON’T Know it is a fact, but I think BTM may have sold almost or more than SYW which is pretty sad, because in my opinion, BTM is total crap and a complete embarrassment, where as SYW is a pretty good record.

The point of this thread, was SYW a bomb? And I am talking pure sales, I mean, going INTO SYW, FM Was considered a solid bet to sell, look at the Dance and even the Best OF as example, but it seems that SYW was just a total bomb, and I hope that FM don’t end up having to play local fairs like Hall & Oates, Rick Springfield (even though his last album did real well) or Styx.

But, usually weak sales are the 1st sign that maybe their ABILITY to sell records has gone down.

I love FM, but the sales of SYW always leave me feeling sad
Old 12-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Supporting Ledgie

It depends on how you define success. Buckingham himself always uses this argument. "Tusk" was a bomb compared to say, Rumours wasn't it? But that doesn't mean it was a sh*t record. I am disappointed in general with Say You Will, but I do love some of the songs on the record. It could've sold another half a million copies but... would that make the material any better? Would that have made the band get back into the studio faster to make another album? I doubt it.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

others on this board know the numbers, including the money put in and money got out of syw much better than i do, but i'll try to give you what i know:

it opened at #3, and went gold. by now it probably sold close to a million copies, but i don't think it was ever officially certified platinum. that's not bad, but after watching DR doc, i suspect the band and the label expected more. of course this is the time when the music industry is/has been in flux, but... there were always probably just a few bands/artists having huge sales, and if you look that's the case now too. again, i know nothing about music industry and how it operates, others on this board have much more knowledge and info.

also, i agree with mylittledemon - would the quality of the album be any better if it sold more? no. but i wouldn't mind hearing songs like come, red rover, and murrow on the classic rock radio - which would be a possibility, maybe, if the album sold better.

EDIT: btw, why are you yelling?

Last edited by elle; 12-30-2010 at 03:14 PM..
Old 12-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Say You Will debuted at #3 on the album charts here in the US, and sold about 800,000 copies to the best of my knowledge. Reprise/Warner expected the album to sell 2-3 Million by their own admission. At one point in the Destiny Rules documentary, Lindsey said he "didn't care if the album sold only 800,000 copies" if he could make the kind of album he wanted to make. So to me that says that 800,000 copies is a dismal failure to him.

I'd guess that the sales of SYW were viewed as a failure to those in Fleetwood Mac, and to Warner/Reprise as well. Not only that, Lindsey, Stevie, and Mick have all voiced that they weren't happy with the finished product of the album, either. Mick and Lindsey have referred to it as disjointed; Stevie's railed against Lindsey's production; they've all pointed at a need for an outside producer if another Mac album were ever to be made.

So the question is, was the album a bomb? I view a bomb to be a dismal failure, which SYW and it's tour really weren't. The album made Gold, nearly Platinum status, and it had some downright progressive material on it. The tour was 18 months long, and pretty darn successful. But was the album a flop? I'd have to say so. It barely got any radio play, it sank off the charts very quickly, received mixed reviews from critics, and is at best a footnote in Mac history.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'm probably going to be the naive and non materialistic voice "of the fan" here. But to me, music is never a bomb as long as it reaches people. It doesn't matter how many, but as long as there's somebody who is being affected for the better by the music, the lyrics, whatever. At the end of the day, music in its root form wasn't about sales figures or money made. It was about telling a story, reaching hearts. And in that sense, Say You Will could never be a failure. Speaking on a personal level, it was my gateway album. And I would probably have lost interest in my only greatest hits album if I hadn't have gotten my hands on this album when I did and realised how much the band has to offer. If you single each song out, then they work. They're beautifully crafted, lyrically sublime and works of art in their own right. Maybe they don't work together as a whole, but you don't listen to the album as a whole, do you? You listen to each song individually and come to your own judgements, so why judge how it was put together and how disjointed it is so harshly?

My heart was affected for the better by this album, so it was a success. It reached somebody. That was the point.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'd say to the casual observer that it wasn't a bomb. It hit #3 in the US and it hit the top ten in the UK (at least according to Wikipedia ) for a band in it's late 50s, having lost it's strongest singer (Christine) and having two singers with voices not what they once were, it's quite an achievement.

Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

yeah what bee said! I also had to add that I really like running threw the gardens and destiny rule and even thrown down!!!!! but for some reason I wasnt really getting intill murrow turnes in his grave its kind of a weird song, and the chorus is kinda confusing! but that's what I think! so to put my story in conclusion, it was a bomb! that was the second album that I got of the mac, before I went crazy and collecting stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I'm probably going to be the naive and non materialistic voice "of the fan" here. But to me, music is never a bomb as long as it reaches people. It doesn't matter how many, but as long as there's somebody who is being affected for the better by the music, the lyrics, whatever. At the end of the day, music in its root form wasn't about sales figures or money made. It was about telling a story, reaching hearts. And in that sense, Say You Will could never be a failure. Speaking on a personal level, it was my gateway album. And I would probably have lost interest in my only greatest hits album if I hadn't have gotten my hands on this album when I did and realised how much the band has to offer. If you single each song out, then they work. They're beautifully crafted, lyrically sublime and works of art in their own right. Maybe they don't work together as a whole, but you don't listen to the album as a whole, do you? You listen to each song individually and come to your own judgements, so why judge how it was put together and how disjointed it is so harshly?

My heart was affected for the better by this album, so it was a success. It reached somebody. That was the point.

SuperFleetwood
www.youtube.com/SuperFleetwoodMac (Watch Rare HQ Fleetwood Mac Videos) And youtube.com/thesuperfleetwood
Old 12-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Lindsey, Stevie, and Mick have all voiced that they weren't happy with the finished product of the album, either. Mick and Lindsey have referred to it as disjointed; Stevie's railed against Lindsey's production; they've all pointed at a need for an outside producer if another Mac album were ever to be made.material on it. The tour was 18 months long, and pretty darn successful.
however, in the same breath Lindsey said that who cares if SYW was disjointed, Tusk was too, and that he considers Tusk his favorite FM album. if it was up to Lindsey i get a feeling he would not go with an outside producer, but he said over and over that at this point it's more of a question of a band politics (i think this really means that Stevie would never do it if they didn't have outside producer). imho, i think they need some balance musically and not just for the sake of the band politics, so if they pick a producer who can bring them that plus fit with both L and S, it will work better.

Quote:
It barely got any radio play, it sank off the charts very quickly, received mixed reviews from critics, and is at best a footnote in Mac history.
see i don't think that will necessarily be the case. this sounds like something that may have been said for a Tusk album at the time it was out, and now Tusk keeps getting mentioned everywhere as the album that showcases the mac as cool and weird, instead of just mega-selling band that doesn't have much artistically to offer. i think SYW has some great songs (mostly lindsey's) that will stand the test of time when someone looks over FM legacy.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Springs View Post
I'm probably going to be the naive and non materialistic voice "of the fan" here. But to me, music is never a bomb as long as it reaches people. ...
Nicely said!
Old 12-30-2010, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My two cents...

Say You Will w/o Christine = not good

Band members should not be "producing" their albums.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
see i don't think that will necessarily be the case. this sounds like something that may have been said for a Tusk album at the time it was out, and now Tusk keeps getting mentioned everywhere as the album that showcases the mac as cool and weird, instead of just mega-selling band that doesn't have much artistically to offer. i think SYW has some great songs (mostly lindsey's) that will stand the test of time when someone looks over FM legacy.
I guess that's possible, elle. Tusk, after all, did grow in stature & appeal through the years. Say You Will might do that, too.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-30-2010, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Say You Will debuted at #3 on the album charts here in the US,.
I guess any Fleetwood Mac album would debut at top ten chart because it is Fleetwood Mac, a legend band. Although the era of million records sales is gone, it was a good beginning.

But it didn't turn into a blockbuster because, ironic.. it's Fleetwood Mac. I mean it's a 70s/80s band. In this decade of Beyonce, Eminem, etc.. hard for a legend band. Stevie explains it very good when they were discussing about releasing a double cd album in the Destiny Rules video.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:04 AM
Ledgie

I think the problems with the current lineup is just isn't commercially viable enough to sell those kind of numbers. Christine had the most commercial success in the band.
I feel the album would have done better if they had convinced Christine to come in and do keyboards and backing vocals. Not necessarily have her writing and touring, but can you imagine a song like Thrown Down, Say You Will or Peacekeeper with her contributions!?!? Would have been huge.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
But it didn't turn into a blockbuster because, ironic.. it's Fleetwood Mac. I mean it's a 70s/80s band. In this decade of Beyonce, Eminem, etc.. hard for a legend band. Stevie explains it very good when they were discussing about releasing a double cd album in the Destiny Rules video.
Tell that to the Eagles...they showed FM, who was what.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Tell that to the Eagles...they showed FM, who was what.
Were the eagles doing the Straight-to-walmart-release? that has really worked to their advantage. FM needed to use Thrown Down as the lead single.Period. not Peace keeper (bwa ba ba bwa bwa bwa) It was at a time when people were being obnoxious about ANYONE using the word "peace", it meant you were against the war which for a while was a bit taboo. now it would be fine. i remember comments on aol musics first listen people were like "take your PEACE somewhere else." which is dumb, cause the lyrics are actually "take no prisoners only kill"