Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-20-2023, 07:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Christine Live in San Antonio 1984

This just popped up on YouTube. Weeeeee!

https://youtu.be/ttl-DPl2Ot0
Old 04-20-2023, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougl View Post
This just popped up on YouTube. Weeeeee!

https://youtu.be/ttl-DPl2Ot0
Thank you! I will give this a listen later today
Old 04-24-2023, 08:51 AM

Awesome! Keep em coming!
Old 04-24-2023, 11:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That audience sure loved “Over My Head”! Other favorites that night appear to be “Spare Me,” “One in a Million,” and “Don’t Stop.”

Great crowd.

My overall impression is that is was a VERY full show. She gave a lot and the band was tight. The songs were sequenced well, too. One cool song after another.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

With one of the greatest bands of all time at her disposal, why on earth was she touring solo?

Maybe Stevie was busy with Rock A Little. But I imagine Go Insane was either finished by the time of this tour, or the tour could have been scheduled for after it was.

And even if not, does anyone really think Mick and John wouldn't have backed her up?

Last edited by cbBen; 04-30-2023 at 05:58 PM..
Old 04-30-2023, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
With one of the greatest bands of all time at her disposal, why on earth was she touring solo?

Maybe Stevie was busy with Rock A Little. But I imagine Go Insane was either finished by the time of this tour, or the tour could have been scheduled for after it was.

And even if not, does anyone really think Mick and John wouldn't have backed her up?
Her band was pretty good, though. i saw her on that tour and i remember being impressed. and i don't know if FM would have been thrilled to be her 'back up band' while she was doing all new solo stuff?

i mean, she was 'touring solo' to promote her solo album, and it was all on a much smaller scale than any Mac tour ever was. Mick i believe was actually on the road as well w/ his own band, the Zoo, around that time period. Stevie and LB had their own stuff going on. And John was pretty bad w the alcohol at that time, so... she used the band she had made the album with. and she probably wanted Eddy there since they were an item by them....so no way would john have wanted to be around all that, as he was never fond of him lol.

i think Chris did a good job w the band she had.

--Lis
Old 04-30-2023, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post

She did that solo album as part of her contractual obligation with Warner Bros. Not a shabby obligation, I’d say!

As far as the members of FM being available to back her up, Lindsey was off writing music for what was supposed to be his third album. Stevie was contractually obligated to do Rock a Little less than a year later. John was raising a family.

Mick and Lindsey helped her a lot. LB played and sang on three tracks. Mick on one. Then Mick played live for her video album special.

But I am glad she used her own band. Hawkins and Ferrone make a killer rhythm section. Sharp is a fine guitarist in his own right. The only thing her band could have used was a backup singer to handle high-end harmonies. Christine used David Isaacs, a fine tenor, in the studio for ITM. “Friend” and “Sweet Revenge” benefit from his harmonies.
Old 04-30-2023, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
She did that solo album as part of her contractual obligation with Warner Bros. Not a shabby obligation, I’d say!

As far as the members of FM being available to back her up, Lindsey was off writing music for what was supposed to be his third album. Stevie was contractually obligated to do Rock a Little less than a year later. John was raising a family.

Mick and Lindsey helped her a lot. LB played and sang on three tracks. Mick on one. Then Mick played live for her video album special.

But I am glad she used her own band. Hawkins and Ferrone make a killer rhythm section. Sharp is a fine guitarist in his own right. The only thing her band could have used was a backup singer to handle high-end harmonies. Christine used David Isaacs, a fine tenor, in the studio for ITM. “Friend” and “Sweet Revenge” benefit from his harmonies.
FWIW John didn't have Molly in 1984. She was born in 89. He was still drinking his *ss off in 84. But it was his little riff with Chris that inspired Love Will Show Us How. and yes, it was nice that LB and Mick helped her on that album, too.

--Lis
Old 05-01-2023, 12:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
FWIW John didn't have Molly in 1984. She was born in 89. He was still drinking his *ss off in 84. But it was his little riff with Chris that inspired Love Will Show Us How. and yes, it was nice that LB and Mick helped her on that album, too.

--Lis
That's right! I forgot about John's uncredited contribution to the music.

I love that you a repository for all-things John! It helps us place things in context. Molly was born in 1989? Wow--he became a father rather late. As did Lindsey. Glad they both found that joy after years of the rock-n-roll life...
Old 05-01-2023, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
That's right! I forgot about John's uncredited contribution to the music.

I love that you a repository for all-things John! It helps us place things in context. Molly was born in 1989? Wow--he became a father rather late. As did Lindsey. Glad they both found that joy after years of the rock-n-roll life...
LOL yes I suppose I am that repository. i love him to bits. and yes he was a late in life dad...by 1989 he and Jules had both gotten themselves together a bit more... although he still had rough patches after that as well. when he first started writing me in 1995 he loved to talk about Molly. seemed to be a very involved dad.. at that point--after the release of Time, which flopped, and that whole tour-- that's really all he was doing! that and sailing.

In my basement is a framed email from him which to this day blows my mind every time I read it. To have this guy who I adored from age 12 (him and Chris were always my favorites...) #1 congratulating me on the birth of my child, and #2 telling me the rumours of a fleetwood mac reunion were 'not far off the mark' and that they were all talking, and he hoped it was gonna happen...ay dios mio. talk about surreal.

--Lis
Old 05-01-2023, 05:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
Her band was pretty good, though. i saw her on that tour and i remember being impressed. and i don't know if FM would have been thrilled to be her 'back up band' while she was doing all new solo stuff?

i mean, she was 'touring solo' to promote her solo album, and it was all on a much smaller scale than any Mac tour ever was. Mick i believe was actually on the road as well w/ his own band, the Zoo, around that time period. Stevie and LB had their own stuff going on. And John was pretty bad w the alcohol at that time, so... she used the band she had made the album with. and she probably wanted Eddy there since they were an item by them....so no way would john have wanted to be around all that, as he was never fond of him lol.

i think Chris did a good job w the band she had.

--Lis
Her band was incredible. Chris was a terrific musician and writer. Her standards were high because of her own talent. Even though she was a keyboard player, her live solo stuff was still guitar based with a mix of keyboards. It all blended nicely. I always wished Todd got the call to join the Mac.
1984: Stevie was so coked out she was not even showing up in the studio. Lindsey was fascinated with the studio and was not into live gigs. Mick was declaring bankruptcy. John was sailing on his boat. Chris had a fine set of musicians touring making great music. Chris needed to get away from that dysfunction. I am glad I got to see her solo show. But I was always sad that her album was not more of a success and her solo tour was not successful. I know she never wanted to be a solo star but her solo career was almost a self fulfilling prophecy. Rock A Little, Go Insane, and her 1984 solo album. Her solo album holds up so much better. She was so classy that she never embraced the slick quick 80s music trends which is why her music holds up.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 05-01-2023 at 05:18 PM..
Old 05-01-2023, 05:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Steve Ferrone is a monster drummer. His work with the Heartbreakers is incredible.

And George Hawkins is a great bassist and vocalist. Aside from him being in their inner circle, he used to sing Stevie’s part on “Whenever I Call You Friend” when he was with Kenny Loggins, so it makes sense why he was the perfect bassist for her solo band. Incidentally, my favorite harmony George did was on “One More Time With Feeling” on John’s solo album.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-02-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Steve Ferrone is a monster drummer. His work with the Heartbreakers is incredible.

And George Hawkins is a great bassist and vocalist. Aside from him being in their inner circle, he used to sing Stevie’s part on “Whenever I Call You Friend” when he was with Kenny Loggins, so it makes sense why he was the perfect bassist for her solo band. Incidentally, my favorite harmony George did was on “One More Time With Feeling” on John’s solo album.
Steve has done some sophisticated drumming in his career. Jazz/R&B/Rock. Like Chester Thompson (also a monster drummer)
Old 05-02-2023, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post

So true. Steve is so good and all the big names have used him at one time or another. The list is too long but he has recorded with Mick Jagger, Eric Clapton, Roberta Flack, Stevie Nicks, Whitney Houston, Anita Baker. That is just scratching the surface. I love that Chris used him again on her 2004 solo album. He is always in demand. His drum crack on The Smile I Live For gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.
Old 05-03-2023, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
Steve has done some sophisticated drumming in his career. Jazz/R&B/Rock. Like Chester Thompson (also a monster drummer)
As I mentioned above, she was lucky to have such a killer backing band. Steve and George aren't Mick and John, but they bring an exuberant attack to the material Fleetwood and McVie do not. Whereas her old bandmates are understated and sly in their sophistication, Hawkins and Ferrone drive the material with a certain slick, LA flair. They're pros but their playing is not anonymous.