User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-12-2024, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
From what I heard, it was not long at all. Maybe a few weeks? she may have lasted a little longer if not for the stroke. But she was able to be at home for nearly all that time and they brought in help.

Also heard she kind of leaned towards holistic type care and maybe did not get medical tests done or check out possible concerns until it was already too late, by then it had spread everywhere. You would think with what happened with John she might have been more on top of that but i guess we all make our choices.

One of my friends recently lost her mom to an aggressive form of lung cancer. she was diagnosed with it after having some chest pain and then was gone two weeks later, there was no treatment that would do any good and the decline was *really* fast. just mainly palliative care at that point, to keep her as comfortable and as pain free as possible. anyway that all made me think very much of what happened with chris...like it was enough time to get your people around you and maybe make some final decisions about certain things. is that better than lingering and worrying for months? I don't know. maybe.

--Lis
I truly appreciate the information you bring to this board. I hope the time between learning of her prognosis and death was brief.
Old 02-13-2024, 02:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
From what I heard, it was not long at all. Maybe a few weeks? she may have lasted a little longer if not for the stroke. But she was able to be at home for nearly all that time and they brought in help.

Also heard she kind of leaned towards holistic type care and maybe did not get medical tests done or check out possible concerns until it was already too late, by then it had spread everywhere. You would think with what happened with John she might have been more on top of that but i guess we all make our choices.

One of my friends recently lost her mom to an aggressive form of lung cancer. she was diagnosed with it after having some chest pain and then was gone two weeks later, there was no treatment that would do any good and the decline was *really* fast. just mainly palliative care at that point, to keep her as comfortable and as pain free as possible. anyway that all made me think very much of what happened with chris...like it was enough time to get your people around you and maybe make some final decisions about certain things. is that better than lingering and worrying for months? I don't know. maybe.

--Lis
I suppose the short time frame is good? I'd personally like 3-6 months notice. To give away important belongings, etc...

I've had a couple friends die of cancer, and chose holistic care. They didn't seem to last as long as people who chose traditional medical treatment. But if it's definitely terminal, I agree, it's just a matter of personal choice. My mom's oncologist said that women are usually the ones who fight, and choose chemo/ radiation. Men are the ones who say, "I'm not doing that stuff", and just bide their time.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
like it was enough time to get your people around you and maybe make some final decisions about certain things. is that better than lingering and worrying for months? I don't know. maybe.

--Lis
If the end is inevitable and lingering for months comes with hard pain, believe me, it's far better to leave soon. Cause the long suffering is so painful for the patient and also for the family. I know.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I truly appreciate the information you bring to this board. I hope the time between learning of her prognosis and death was brief.
thank you. I truly appreciate having the info, believe me.

another thing i forgot to mention before, that i recently learned, was that chris had been scheduled to attend a party at julien's auction on Nov. 30th. One week before that, she had called to let them know she couldn't make it.

so for me it was nice to know she was still completely cognizant and well enough to make that call herself just a week before she passed. She could not have been in horribly awful shape, which hopefully meant that most of those days that she *did* have were not spent suffering. and of course, in my mind, knowing john was there with her for all that time overrides everything else.

these days when i watch that video of when mick was too sick to play, when they're all having their little meeting at the side of the stage about what to do...the way john's got his hand on her shoulder the whole time always gives me a lump in my throat. such a beautiful, quietly reassuring love.

--Lis
Old 02-13-2024, 09:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
thank you. I truly appreciate having the info, believe me.

another thing i forgot to mention before, that i recently learned, was that chris had been scheduled to attend a party at julien's auction on Nov. 30th. One week before that, she had called to let them know she couldn't make it.

so for me it was nice to know she was still completely cognizant and well enough to make that call herself just a week before she passed. She could not have been in horribly awful shape, which hopefully meant that most of those days that she *did* have were not spent suffering. and of course, in my mind, knowing john was there with her for all that time overrides everything else.

these days when i watch that video of when mick was too sick to play, when they're all having their little meeting at the side of the stage about what to do...the way john's got his hand on her shoulder the whole time always gives me a lump in my throat. such a beautiful, quietly reassuring love.

--Lis
Wow...it must have all hit her like a lightening bolt. I'm glad there wasn't a long period of suffering/pain.

I had a family friend who was recovering from a knee replacement. She randomly collapsed during physical therapy, weeks after the surgery. At the hospital they discovered cancer that had spread everywhere, she passed within 24 hours.

Last edited by BigAl84; 02-13-2024 at 09:37 AM..
Old 02-21-2024, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I'd give anything for a BuckVie II.
That would be the ultimate!