Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Designer Reem Acra Talks Stevie Nicks

One Minute With … Reem Acra

http://www.thefashionspot.com/runway...acra/#/slide/1
Jihan Forbes February 17th, 2015, The Fashion Spot

Attention gypsy queens with a thing for Old World royalty — Reem Acra just put out your dream wardrobe. The designer’s Fall 2015 offering was all bell sleeves, high necks and dripping, just dripping in ornate beadwork. The collection was a combination of romance and glamour, a few pieces giving us a modern-day Anne Boleyn vibe — if Anne Boleyn was a gypsy queen and listened to Stevie Nicks.

Pre-show, we caught up with the designer backstage to get the tea on what we were about to see.

theFashionSpot: Tell us a little about what you were thinking when you put this together.

Reem Acra: When I first started I thought about Stevie Nicks, and I went into my archives and started to dig up all those embroideries I collected for so many years and little things here and there, feathers and so on. I thought to myself, “That’s so me, that’s my personality,” the gypsy modern girl that I wanted to portray. Stevie Nicks, I looked at her pictures, those self-portraits are really unbelievable, and I took the colors from there. The inspiration was basically her and then I went into my own world and this came out.

tFS: What is your favorite Stevie Nicks song?

RA: Well, you’re going to hear it right now. You will hear a demo, actually, rather than a song that’s out. It’s incredible that we were able to get this demo. You will hear something special.

tFS: Should we expect a Stevie Nicks sighting tonight?

RA: Unfortunately, she’s in Atlanta! But we sent her a message.

tFS: What is your favorite piece from this collection?

RA: It’s hard to say that I have a specific favorite piece, I think it’s all about the vibe of the collection. Every piece is really magical. There is nothing here that isn’t the collection. It’s a whole thing altogether.

tFS: It’s freezing outside. What advice do you have for women trying to dress for extreme cold? There’s a lot of girls out here with bare legs…

RA: Just be warm! It’s not about being undressed or looking cool. I have three, four layers on underneath here!

tFS: This is Fashion Week’s last time at Lincoln Center. What are you going to miss or not miss about the venue?

RA: It’s not about the place, I think it’s about the collection. It doesn’t matter to me where I’m showing, as long as it’s New York City, anywhere. It doesn’t matter.

tFS: What are you doing when this is all over?

RA: Going back to work tomorrow morning!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder what the song or 'demo' they are speaking of? Is it something from 24K Gold or something none of us have?? any clues??
..."There is a legend passed down through the ages...down through the crystal visions...down through the crystal clear-water fountain...the charmed ones remain...They are mine (you remain...ooh)...."
Old 02-18-2015, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you, Michele.
I really want to know what song it is.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this makes me wonder if he didn't play her after all..

"Stevie Nicks' self-portraits from the '70s inspired the designs and, regardless of what music actually played, her mystical songs set the mood at Reem Acra's Fall 2015 runway show. "

read more:
http://www.mstarz.com/articles/54070...hey-benson.htm
Old 02-18-2015, 10:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well maybe he did play her music:

The Vibe: There was more than a subtle nod to Stevie Nicks in this collection. With Nicks' music pouring onto the runway, models took inspiration from her poised yet carefree stage presence as they walked the runway. It was evident that Nicks' style played a big role in the inspiration behind this collection.

http://www.fashiontimes.com/articles...all-winter.htm
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The characteristic Stevie fashion sense that has a lasting influential impact is rooted in the past, when she was much younger. She embodied a hip, hippie chic look that was in style in that era, and she with varied clothes and colors.

The latter day Stevie routinely wears just black "uniform" dresses that either look a little bit matronly, slightly sadomasochistic, or just a little off. There is nothing current or influential about her attire. The Fashion Police would arrest her. I bet her casual, off-stage/at home attire is far more cooler and fashionable.

I have little interest fashion, but I do go with the subtle flow of style changes through time. I retired my moccasins and flared jeans from the 1970s, my Members Only jacket from the 1980s and my grunge duds from the 1990s.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWlgxOVpdSM

I only watched the beginnning. "Chanel, Chanel" was played.
I'm watching more... "Secret Love" demo, too.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.

Last edited by Danielle; 02-19-2015 at 05:46 AM..
Old 02-19-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
The characteristic Stevie fashion sense that has a lasting influential impact is rooted in the past, when she was much younger. She embodied a hip, hippie chic look that was in style in that era, and she with varied clothes and colors.
That's for sure, but even in her heydays Stevie wasn't a fashion icon in the strict sense, she was more a street fashion icon.
Fashion magazines then couldn't care less about what she was wearing.

Quote:
The latter day Stevie routinely wears just black "uniform" dresses that either look a little bit matronly, slightly sadomasochistic, or just a little off. There is nothing current or influential about her attire. The Fashion Police would arrest her. I bet her casual, off-stage/at home attire is far more cooler and fashionable.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

I have little interest fashion, but I do go with the subtle flow of style changes through time. I retired my moccasins and flared jeans from the 1970s, my Members Only jacket from the 1980s and my grunge duds from the 1990s.
Well put. Her days of being influential in fashion are way behind her which is sad. There's absolutely no reason Stevie couldn't continue her innovative, inspiring and unique fashion choices but she has chosen not to. And I don't buy the age excuse, if that is indeed her reason. Her former looks are timeless and not age specific. Of course she shouldn't be running around the stage in just a leotard anymore but she stopped doing that anyway a long time ago (mid 80's to be exact). I'm sure there's some point in her mind that she's attempting to make/prove by wearing the same boring outfit on stage e night after night but I think she needs to try just a little harder. A few extra shawls and lace go a long way.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 02-19-2015, 06:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wish she would surprise us all at the next event or red carpet by wearing something exquisite, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have to add though that her fashion choices (or lack thereof) don't really bother me, she can wear anything and I'll always find her beautiful and charming.

Crystallineknowledge
Dedicated to Stevie.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

"Chanel, Chanel", huh?

I'm in the minority, because I loathe this demo.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
"Chanel, Chanel", huh?

I'm in the minority, because I loathe this demo.
I was surprised to read it was used, but since it has to do with fashion and Chanel is so big in the industry, I guess I can see why they chose it.

Michele
Old 02-20-2015, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle View Post
I wish she would surprise us all at the next event or red carpet by wearing something exquisite, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have to add though that her fashion choices (or lack thereof) don't really bother me, she can wear anything and I'll always find her beautiful and charming.
I totally agree!
By the way I think that the last time she wore something original was for the ARIA awards; I loved that red outfit!

Last edited by SisterNightroad; 02-20-2015 at 12:13 PM..
Old 02-20-2015, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I totally agree!
By the way I think that the last time she wore something original wa for the ARIA awards; I loved that red outfit!

YEESSSSS!! An amazing outfit! She had a little burst of wardrobe excitement right after IYD was released (wearing red, hair feathers) but then it seemed to go as quickly as it came.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 02-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Heres her ARIA appearance.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016