The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

If you write "Fleetwood Mac reverse" on Yt you can also find "Never going back again" and "Rhiannon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
They said (...) that Christine had run off with Lindsey
Tell me it's not true

Quote:
that Stevie practiced black magic and led a coven of witches in the Hollywood Hills
I read Chris said something similar about her too! I hope I'll find that interview again Anyway, this is too funny
Old 06-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
.... as we wrapped up our new album, John McVie came up with a new title for the record. Rumours.
It was brilliantly apt. It seemed at the time that everyone in the music business in southern California had the exclusive inside dope about the secret lives of Fleetwood Mac, they said.... ....; that Stevie practiced black magic and led a coven of witches in the Hollywood Hills; that Fleetwood Mac was a burnt-out case.
The evidence...
Old 06-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000 View Post
If that's what you choose to believe, fine for you. But don't claim that I or other people believe some of the crap in that article.
Just out of curiosity, what parts do you not believe? Peter Green wanting to give all the money to charity? His mental health problems and the subsequent hard times he suffered before returning to a better place in the mid-90s? Jeremy Spencer's sudden "disappearance" from the band and turning to the Children of God? Danny Kirwan's "breakdown" and the problems that he later had (and presumably still has)? Bob Welch's suicide? Because I was under the impression that all of those events are generally accepted as having really happened.

Or is it just the notion of a "curse" that you take umbrage with? If so, I'll give you that. Sure, it's some strong verbiage, but given the history of FM guitarists, I don't think it's it all crazy to create the "curse" narrative.

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 06-12-2012, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh2003 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what parts do you not believe? Peter Green wanting to give all the money to charity? His mental health problems and the subsequent hard times he suffered before returning to a better place in the mid-90s? Jeremy Spencer's sudden "disappearance" from the band and turning to the Children of God? Danny Kirwan's "breakdown" and the problems that he later had (and presumably still has)? Bob Welch's suicide? Because I was under the impression that all of those events are generally accepted as having really happened.

Or is it just the notion of a "curse" that you take umbrage with? If so, I'll give you that. Sure, it's some strong verbiage, but given the history of FM guitarists, I don't think it's it all crazy to create the "curse" narrative.
The things you mention above are pretty well accepted as fact (with the exception of Peter Green wanting to give all the band's money to charity). But a number of the details given in the article are clearly bull. Peter Green never "fell into destitution" - he always had plenty of royalty money coming in, and he took menial jobs because he wanted to, not because he needed to. Sure, over the years he gave away plenty of his money to various causes (including to his family) but nothing I've ever read suggests that he ever came close to giving all his money away at any point. And "police surrounded his house" - again, that's complete fabrication from everything I've read about his mid-'70s arrest. I could go on, but you need to do your homework before you claim that "I don't see anything in this article that is exaggerated, or that I would consider a "lie." Everything in the article is, I believe, generally accepted among fans as being true."

And as far as a "curse"...whatever. The author is obviously trying to be sensationalist in this article so he can call it whatever he likes. But you don't have to believe everything you read.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I could go on, but you need to do your homework before you claim that "I don't see anything in this article that is exaggerated, or that I would consider a "lie." Everything in the article is, I believe, generally accepted among fans as being true."

And as far as a "curse"...whatever. The author is obviously trying to be sensationalist in this article so he can call it whatever he likes. But you don't have to believe everything you read.
I can practically feel the venom in your voice as you typed this to Josh. Honestly, with the exception of Jeremy Spencer, because it is about him, I just don't understand why a fan of the group would be so upset by the article. It reminds me of when anyone would hear I was a fan of Stevie and they would tell me she's a witch. I'm not gonna waste my time defending her. I just say, "yup, she is."
Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Good for you, Sharksfan...

Quote:
The things you mention above are pretty well accepted as fact (with the exception of Peter Green wanting to give all the band's money to charity). But a number of the details given in the article are clearly bull. Peter Green never "fell into destitution" - he always had plenty of royalty money coming in, and he took menial jobs because he wanted to, not because he needed to. Sure, over the years he gave away plenty of his money to various causes (including to his family) but nothing I've ever read suggests that he ever came close to giving all his money away at any point. And "police surrounded his house" - again, that's complete fabrication from everything I've read about his mid-'70s arrest. I could go on, but you need to do your homework before you claim that "I don't see anything in this article that is exaggerated, or that I would consider a "lie." Everything in the article is, I believe, generally accepted among fans as being true."

All the details you pointed out as bull, are just that. Also the story of Peter gravedigging is one of the lies that, despite my years of refuting, is still perpetuated; he was merely tending the garden of a church which included the graveyard. But that's too tame a story for the sensation hungry.
I treat such articles like a testimonial in court ... one lie and it's out. I've had too many years of dire experience with the press ... especially the British one, it's worse than the American press. They have long forfeited any right to my respect.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I can practically feel the venom in your voice as you typed this to Josh. Honestly, with the exception of Jeremy Spencer, because it is about him, I just don't understand why a fan of the group would be so upset by the article. It reminds me of when anyone would hear I was a fan of Stevie and they would tell me she's a witch. I'm not gonna waste my time defending her. I just say, "yup, she is."
No venom here, and you misunderstand my point, vivfox. The article is what it is, sensationalist, exaggerated, people should understand that and it seems that most here do. Josh asked what I thought was not true in the article so I gave a couple of examples. My problem is Josh's earlier assertion that "Everything in the article is, I believe, generally accepted among fans as being true." As I mentioned before, if he chooses to believe everything in the article, that's fine - but I don't like someone else telling me what I accept as true, simple as that.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
No venom here, and you misunderstand my point, vivfox. The article is what it is, sensationalist, exaggerated, people should understand that and it seems that most here do. Josh asked what I thought was not true in the article so I gave a couple of examples.
You apparently are glossing over my words "I believe"...I was always under the impression that most of the things the article cited were generally accepted. Which is why I simply asked why people were up in arms. If there were fabrications/lies/misrepresentations, nobody was citing any...so I thank you and Jeremy for pointing out some examples that have apparently been exaggerated by the press. None of us (save Jeremy) were there, so we have no way of knowing.

Quote:
My problem is Josh's earlier assertion that "Everything in the article is, I believe, generally accepted among fans as being true." As I mentioned before, if he chooses to believe everything in the article, that's fine - but I don't like someone else telling me what I accept as true, simple as that.
I was never telling anybody what to believe...I simply asked why everybody was so quick to dismiss this article as crap...when I was under the impression that most of the "allegations," if you will, were true, or , at least, generally accepted among fans. Nothing in the article seemed that new/crazy/out-of-the-ordinary to me in terms of the Mac "history." But again, it's not what I am "choosing to believe"...it's simply what has been reported as being true over the years...and I understand that we cannot always believe what we read (and that applies to you too, of course).

http://www.twitter.com/jtwill84
Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Jeremy Spencer,
Your words are appreciated here.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Old 06-13-2012, 02:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
Jeremy Spencer,
Your words are appreciated here.
Jeremy, they are, very much so. THANK YOU, for giving us your perspective. We appreciate it. Very much so!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The article takes mostly previously-documented material and distorts it. For example, it opens with Danny Kirwan's firing, but the tone and even some of the details are skewed or invented. I have never read that he "heckled" the band from the audience while they played without him. Nor would I call him a glamour boy.

But most offensive about the article is the way it attempts to capitalize on Welch's personal tragedy to advance a "theory" in the service of selling a good story. I know this is par for the course in a lot of tabloid journalism, but this was a "too soon" moment. And his suicide apparently had nothing to do with Fleetwood Mac. Very bad taste of the writer.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
But most offensive about the article is the way it attempts to capitalize on Welch's personal tragedy to advance a "theory" in the service of selling a good story. I know this is par for the course in a lot of tabloid journalism, but this was a "too soon" moment. And his suicide apparently had nothing to do with Fleetwood Mac. Very bad taste of the writer.
Exactly! That's the point. I think that most of what I've read in the article it's true. I may be wrong, but in fact we will never be sure. But that's not the point, the point is that it's a very bad moment to write things like that, and the way he wrote it makes us angry. The truth can be told in several ways, and each way is also understood in a way.

Tabloids are tasteless, sometimes hoax, or a mix of hoax with badly told truth. But they succeed. They succeed because people buy tabloids and enjoy reading it. And they also they success because there are people who hate what tabloids write. But comment it a lot. You see, we are in the third page of this thread. Whether we believe it or not, enjoy it or hate it, find it boring, funny or ridiculous, the point is that we are talking and talking about it. If the writer read this thread, he would be glad, wether we support or attack him. And he would enjoy finding people discussing and fighting because of his article.

The only way tabloids could fail is ignoring them. But that seldom happens. Why? as a psychologist friend told me.. and I'm saying this as respectful as I can, because human beings enjoy morbid. Gossip is a way of morbid.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think that most of what I've read in the article it's true. I may be wrong, but in fact we will never be sure. But that's not the point, the point is that it's a very bad moment to write things like that, and the way he wrote it makes us angry. The truth can be told in several ways, and each way is also understood in a way.
You took the words out of my mouth, Villavic. I TOTALLY agree with you!
There are many ways to write a good article and tell a story: a professional journalist would never create a gossip or be so harsh on the basis of others' misfortunes, specially when someone is just dead. But you know, professional journalists are hard to find these days (said by someone who wanted to become one of them, even though I'm beginning to understand it's a lost cause. You'll start a promising career only if you write garbage news or if you're corrupted)