The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[This woman had ear implants that allowed her to hear music for the first time in her life. Big Love (Lindsey alone) was one of the songs she heard. Here's the list. Click for her story]

The Journey, by Kerry Wood March 26, 2014

http://www.thejournal.co.uk/news/nor...-milne-6879841

Ken Boothe – Everything I Own

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band – She’s the One - Live at Hammersmith Odeon

Paul McCartney – Silly Love Songs

Joni Mitchell – Black Crow

Steely Dan – Peg

Electric Light Orchestra – Mr. Blue Sky

Gary Numan – Are ‘friends’ Electric?

The Specials – Do Nothing

Soft Cell – Tainted Love

The Jam – Town Called Malice

Eurythmics – Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)

Prince – When Doves Cry

Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)

The Smiths – Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Fleetwood Mac – Big Love - Live (Lindsey Buckingham solo acoustic version)

Tracy Chapman – Fast Car

The The August & September

Deee-Lite – Groove Is In The Heart

Ozric Tentacles – Sploosh!

INXS – Baby Don’t Cry

Nirvana – All Apologies

Richard Thompson – King Of Bohemia

Pulp – Common People - Full Length Version / Album Version

Everything But The Girl – Missing

Foo Fighters – Everlong

Massive Attack – Teardrop

Jimmy Eat World – For Me This Is Heaven

The Avalanches – Frontier Psychiatrist

Daft Punk – Digital Love

The Streets – Turn The Page

Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Maps

Beastie Boys – An Open Letter To NYC

Nine Inch Nails – The Hand That Feeds

Arctic Monkeys – I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor

Radiohead - Jigsaw Falling Into Place

Elbow - One Day Like This

Maximo Park – Tanned

Gruff Rhys – Shark Ridden Waters

The Joy Formidable – Whirring

Bat For Lashes – Laura

Haim – Don’t Save Me
Old 03-29-2014, 02:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[This piece mentions great SNL performances of the eighties and say they're sorry LB's clip wasn't available. That surprises me]

Great ‘SNL’ Musical Performances of the ’80s

By Dave Swanson Diffuser FM

Read More: Great 'SNL' Musical Performances of the '80s | http://diffuser.fm/snl-80s-music/?trackback=tsmclip

Throughout its nearly 40 years on the air, ‘Saturday Night Live’ has not only offered some of TV’s funniest moments, it’s also boasted countless amazing musical performances. With a long list that includes everyone from the Grateful Dead to the Beastie Boys, many legendary artists have rocked those floorboards. We’re paring down that long list of favorites to performances from the ’80s. Unfortunately, clips of great performances by the likes of the Replacements, the Clash, Lindsey Buckingham and Captain Beefheart weren’t available. But if you can track those down, they’re all worth checking out. Trust us.

Read More: Great 'SNL' Musical Performances of the '80s | http://diffuser.fm/snl-80s-music/?trackback=tsmclip
Old 03-30-2014, 03:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Index Journal, Greenwood, South Carolina by Richard S. Whiting

[excerpt from article, March 30, 2014]

http://www.indexjournal.com/Content/...en/8/154/24608

As a result, we've enjoyed trips to Atlanta to see the likes of Todd Rundgren performing with Hall and Oates. There was the memorable Steely Dan concert, as well as a nearly 70-year-old Paul Simon looking and sounding as good as when he was originally lookin' for fun and feelin' groovy. And what a great show in Spartanburg when we saw Lindsey Buckingham in a phenomenal solo show with what seemed like no fewer than 20 guitars.
Maybe we'll get that chance again. We hope so. If nothing else, perhaps they'll return for the Grape Stomp in November.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From the Now Hear This Chicago Blog

http://www.nowhearthischicago.com/?p=785

Lindsey Buckingham – Big Love (live)

Posted on March 30, 2014 by Vanessa

Live version released on The Dance in 1997. Originally released on Tango in the Night in 1987.

One of my all-time biggest pet peeves is when someone gets credit for something that they didn’t do – which is why I refuse to call Big Love a Fleetwood Mac song. I just can’t do it. I don’t know how much creative control Lindsey Buckingham had over the version of this song that appears on Tango in the Night, but I can’t imagine he would take a song that is so incredible on guitar, and clutter it up with synthesizers.

The live version is, in my opinion, the way Buckingham always intended the song to be – stripped down to it’s purest form, devoid of any unnecessary clutter.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[SHN included in 9 excellent songs with wordless hooks]

Music Times, April 1, 2014

http://www.musictimes.com/articles/5...s-and-more.htm

1. Simon & Garfunkel - "The Boxer" (1970)

If you've written a song with as many words as "The Boxer", you've earned the right to throw a couple of "lie la lie's" in there. Although the melody in the verses is beautifully written, it is very dense, so these poppy choruses are quite welcome.

2. Fleetwood Mac - "Second Hand News" (1977)

The people who prefer Fleetwood Mac's rock era to its pop era are either rockist elitists or in denial, because all Lindsey Buckingham needed for a catchy chorus was the word "bow" and a three-note melody.

3. Misfits - "Some Kinda Hate" (1978)

As great a songwriter as Glenn Danzig is, he's not really one for lyricism. The chorus to this early Misfits classic is simply "woooooah" with a few throwaway phrases in between ("and it's a woah... I said woah...baby it's a woah...").

4. The Smiths - "The Headmaster Ritual" (1985)

For some reason Morrissey loves yodeling, even though he's not that great at it, but he uses the technique to great effect in the chorus to the opening track from Meat is Murder.

5. Pavement - "Cut Your Hair" (1994)

The chorus to Pavement's only hit song consisted of guitarist Scott Kannberg (aka Spiral Stairs) singing a quirky falsetto melody that was clearly out of his range. Maybe if he did that more often, they would have had more hits.

6. The Promise Ring - "Why Did We Ever Meet?" (1997)

The Promise Ring is no stranger to making no damn sense whatsoever (what exactly does "Delaware are you aware of air supply" mean?), so whenever they choose to break out the "ba-bas" and "doo-doos", it's pretty much the only thing that does make sense.

7. Joanna Newsom - "Peach, Plum, Pear" (2004)

Joanna Newsom is famous for writing songs that are 12 minutes long because they have so many verses, but the poppiest moment in any song she's ever written is the wordless chorus to this track off her debut album. It might have ended up being a hit if she hadn't played it on a harpsichord, but probably not.

8. Devendra Banhart - "Santa Maria da Feira" (2005)

Being of Venezuelan descent, Devendra Banhart occasionally likes to sing in Spanish, but even though he has two languages to choose from when writing lyrics, he still chose "la-di-da" for the chorus to this South American-style folk song.

9. Kanye West - "Black Skinhead" (2013)

"Black Skinhead" proved to be one of Kanye's most lyrically provocative songs in years (just look at that title) but the part of the song that gets stuck in everyone's head is that heavily distorted opening hook.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[From an article discussing the musical cliches that writers use]

Village Voice by Luke Winkie, April 3, 2014

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...nos.php?page=2

Strengths and weak points are practically interchangeable when we're talking about music -- nobody measures a band's vertical. You won't ever be faulted for simply talking about how a song makes you feel. It's always important to remember that somebody hates Fleetwood Mac for the exact same reasons you love them. Go to a metal show and tell someone you find Lindsey Buckingham's nylon-string guitar to be a "tremendous strength," see what happens.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From feature on the We Are the Monks, artists, American Songwriter April 15, by Songspace 2014:

http://www.americansongwriter.com/20...monks-stronger

MY FAVORITE CONCERT EXPERIENCE: Trent – Lindsey Buckingham Shellie – I was in 3rd grade and it has stuck with me: Amy Grant
Old 05-06-2014, 01:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Pollstar article on Paul Thorn]

http://www.pollstar.com/news_article.aspx?ID=811109

The Americana/blues musician’s most recent LP is 2012’s What the Hell Is Goin’ On?, a collection of covers including Buddy Miller’s “Shelter Me Lord,” Allen Toussaint’s “Wrong Number” and Lindsey Buckingham’s “Don’t Let Me Down Again.”
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

remember when Hunter Hayes was waiting for LB in front of his dressing room at the grammys? we never heard what happened, but:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/musi...sQJ/story.html

here is LB-mentioning excerpt (wonder if it was Turner?):

Q. What did you want “Storyline” to capture that wasn’t as obvious on the first record?

A. I think I was looking for “Storyline” to get a bit more personal, more heart and soul. I wanted to go back in time to give it more depth. I wanted it to feel like it could have been an older record. One of the rules was no electronic drum sounds. Everything you hear is created from actual instruments. There’s a lot of tributes to the bluegrass I like — the mandolin, the three-part harmonies — and there’s a lot of guitar player references too. While making this record I really studied Lindsey Buckingham. In fact, during the process, I ordered a new guitar because it’s the one he plays.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^That young man has a good head on his shoulders.

Michele
Old 06-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Ha ha. I'm not saying I would have wanted Lindsey to take this job, but I would have loved to hear his idea for the theme song. Gimme a wacky ghost ditty, Lindsey]

Movie Features

Ghostbusters 30th anniversary: 30 things you never knew

By Simon Reynolds Sunday, Jun 8 2014,

20. Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham and Huey Lewis & The News were first approached to pen the theme, but both declined the offer. Ray Parker Jr eventually scored a US number-one hit with 'Ghostbusters', however Lewis ended up suing for plagiarism due to the similarities with his earlier song 'I Want a New Drug'. The case was eventually settled out of court.

Read more: http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/fea...#ixzz344OBEhHO
Follow us: @digitalspy on Twitter | digitalspyuk on Facebook
Old 06-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From The Grateful Web: Dream Academy Collection

Real Gone Music July 29, 2014 Release: Dream Academy Collection

Submitted by JP Cutler Media Fri, 06/20/2014 - 1:13pm

http://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/....MkdLHiO4.dpuf

With their varied instrumentation, intimate song stylings, and poetic, allusive lyrics, The Dream Academy always stood apart from their '80s British rock brethren; that they dedicated their hit song, "Life in a Northern Town," to Nick Drake and minimalist composer Steve Reich spoke volumes as to the reach of their intellectual and artistic ambition. Indeed, though they were together for only three albums and a handful of singles, Nick Laird-Clowes, Kate St. John and Gilbert Gabriel left behind a body of work as captivating as that of any of their contemporaries, their solid songwriting, unusual arrangements and innovative production touches (thanks in part to co-producer David Gilmour of Pink Floyd) only sounding better with age. Now, Real Gone Music and Nick Laird-Clowes have joined forces to release the definitive Dream Academy collection, a 2-CD, 24-track set entitled The Morning Lasted All Day -- A Retrospective. Due out July 29, the release not only features such hits as "Life in a Northern Town" and "The Love Parade" and key album tracks, but also is chock-full of unreleased tracks, rare nuggets and even a new track, "Sunrising."

"I wanted this to be a definitive 'best of' that would also include a few key unreleased rarities for the people who really know our work," says Laird-Clowes. "I'm thrilled that I found some tracks that I think sit easily beside our best work so that any listener could enjoy the collection as a seamless whole." Indeed, The Morning Lasted All Day features such gems as the unreleased songs "Living in a War" (with David Gilmour on guitar), "The Chosen Few" (with Gilmour playing electric and slide guitar) and "The Last Day of the War" (a lost track recorded right after "Life in a Northern Town"); the unreleased and much requested instrumental of "Power to Believe" from the John Hughes-directed film Trains, Planes & Automobiles, co-produced by Hugh Padgham; the rare B-side "Girl in a Million," and the long-lost 12-inch side "The Demonstration."

What's more, careful listeners will also hear musical contributions from The Smiths' Johnny Marr, Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham, Polystyrene of X-Ray Spex and Eagles songwriter J.D. Souther, all of whose contributions are meticulously noted in Laird-Clowes' liner notes, which offer a look inside the artistic inspiration and recording process for each song as well as the stories behind the band's origins and three albums. Remastered and sequenced by Laird-Clowes, and sporting photos taken from the band's personal archive as well as from a lost session by the legendary Arthur Elgort, The Morning Lasted All Day just may be the best double-album released this year, new or old. - See more at: http://www.gratefulweb.com/articles/....MkdLHiO4.dpuf
Old 06-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey listed in top 15 Best Travel Songs for Holiday Road:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/20/travel...html?hpt=hp_t4

Good choice to include Holiday Road, but I have to question any travel song list that omitted Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down A Dream". CNN. bah.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The I-Loved-The-'80s, Just-Can't-Remember-Them-Much Summer Concert Guide

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendi-...b_5374751.html

Huffington Post, Posted: 06/02/2014 7:55 am EDT by Wendi Aarons and Nancy Davis Kho

Fleetwood Mac: Why is this the most expensive concert of the entire summer? Baby, I don't wanna know-oh. But we're guessing there's some kind of hazard pay involved to lure five musicians with a history of infighting back to the same stage. Will there be any songs that WON'T lead to sing-alongs and interpretive Stevie-ish dancing by audience members? Oh, God, no. This audience will even lose their s*** over "Tusk." Therefore, dress yourself in your gypsy-thrift-shop finest for maximum twirling. Or, if you're a man, pull your black leather blazer out of the attic and join Lindsey Buckingham in looking like a 65-year-old Narc.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[Hunter, with all due respect to Sir Paul, we still want to know about the meeting between you and Lindsey, thank you very much]

by Jane Stevenson, QMI Agency Canoe.com, July 28, 2014

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2014/07/28/21837226.html

I heard you got props from Paul McCartney backstage after the Grammy Invisible performance?

I saw him walking past and I wasn’t going to stop him. There were so many people around. I wanted to say something but I was like, ‘There was so much going on... If there’s another time, good Lord willing, I’ll be able to say hello.’ Sure enough, as soon as I made that decision, he made his way towards me. And he looked at me twice, sort of a double take kind of thing, walked over to me, and shook my hand, complimented the performance, complimented the song, and yeah just said a lot of really cool things. And ironically, I was standing outside of Lindsey Buckingham’s dressing room so I could say hello to him. So that was pretty friggin’ cool.