Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Q&A with Lindsey Buckingham (article)

By Robert Morast
rmorast@argusleader.com
published: 06/21/07

Argus Leader

Lindsey Buckingham was watching CNN a couple days after cancelling a spring concert in Lincoln, Neb., when the news station's scroll accused the former Fleetwood Mac frontman of "divalike" behavior.

"I was like ... is this all they have (for news)?" Buckingham says with a bit of a laugh.

In a time when celebrity squabbles equal big TV ratings, dishing on star tantrums is almost expected. Still, this is different than showing Paris Hilton crying inside a police car.

Buckingham is far from the crowds of paparazzi. But the musician who added a unique dialect to popular culture still carries a public perception that sometimes casts him as a demanding, temperamental artist.

Fans can't shake the memory of how his romantic turmoil with Stevie Nicks fueled Fleetwood Mac's signature album, "Rumours." Or that his artistic ego decided the band should distance itself from the popular artsy pop rock sound of "Rumours" and create the misunderstand opus "Tusk."

"You can't control what people are going to say or think," Buckingham says. "You can control the quality of the show you can do."

Buckingham says that is the reason he walked out of Lincoln's Rococo Theater on April 11, after deciding the venue's sound equipment wasn't suitable for his concert.

Should we expect the same when Buckingham plays the Washington Pavilion on Wednesday night? No. Pavilion officials have said their sound system is fine.

And more importantly, speaking with Buckingham from his home in Los Angeles, the musician sounds less like a diva and more like an open-minded artist - he's a fan of rap icon Eminem - concerned about the presentation of his music.

Touring in support of his first solo record in 12 years, "Under the Skin," Buckingham talks about his show and the future of Fleetwood Mac.

Question: You mention that you need a good PA system because your concert "rocks." How hard does this solo tour rock?

Answer: We rock real hard. We wanted to start off with the core being similar in tone with the "Under the Skin" CD. Then ... working backward from that there are probably six songs where I'm there by myself with my guitar. On the other spectrum there are some songs - either my solo songs or Fleetwood Mac stuff, like "Go Your Own Way" or "Tusk."

It runs the gamut. It starts off kind of mellow ... but by the end we're kind of making people's ears bleed.

Q: The Spill Canvas, a local band signed to Sire Records, just released a cover of "Gold Dust Woman" (on the EP "Denial Feels So Good"). Have you heard it?

A: No. I haven't heard that. I'd like to. It's always nice when somebody reinterprets the music. It's flattering. Camper Van Beethoven did the "Tusk" album, that was fascinating.

Q: You said that Eminem was "amazing." Would you do a collaboration with him?

A: Sure. He would never do one with me.

Q: Would "The Dance" and Fleetwood Mac's '90s reunion have happened without Bill Clinton's interest in the band?

A: Um, well, that's a good question. I don't know. I think it might have, actually. I don't think that was so much the catalyst for that. What it really was was that I got together with Rob Cavallo (to work on a solo record). ... I had run into Mick (Fleetwood) somewhere, and I had asked him to come in and play some drums. That turned into him coming in every day and becoming part of the project. Then we thought, 'Let's get John (McVie) in to play bass parts. Then ... somebody, probably Mick ... said there is enough critical mass ... let's get something together.

Q: So, is there going to be another reunion?

A: I'm going to go back (in the studio) and put out another record for 2008. After that I would think Fleetwood Mac might come together for another reunion.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Thanks MacMan!
Old 06-21-2007, 09:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Camper Van Beethoven did the "Tusk" album, that was fascinating.
I love that Lindsey still plugs this cover album as it really is brilliant. iTunes has the album available if you can not find the CD.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks! this intervew was great! I especially loved the part:
Touring in support of his first solo record in 12 years, "Under the Skin," Buckingham talks about his show and the future of Fleetwood Mac

sorry I had to...
but this was a really good intervew with him though. I was surprised to learn that he liked Eminem, he should be so lucky to callaborate with Lindsey
Old 06-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMan View Post
Q: You said that Eminem was "amazing." Would you do a collaboration with him?

A: Sure. He would never do one with me.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:22 PM
Senior Ledgie

Thanks for posting that article. I enjoyed reading it. Lindsey can make my ears bleed anytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrislit18 View Post
I was surprised to learn that he liked Eminem, he should be so lucky to callaborate with Lindsey
Ain't that the truth!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

thanx for posting this!!!!!!
Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
I love that Lindsey still plugs this cover album as it really is brilliant. iTunes has the album available if you can not find the CD.
Yes. That struck me too. I have the cd.. been a while since I listened.. but it is great. Sisters of the Moon kills me.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
Yes. That struck me too. I have the cd.. been a while since I listened.. but it is great. Sisters of the Moon kills me.
I have it since it was available through that site of that small label. Months later it was available in shops over here. The whole record kills me everytime I listen to it.