Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Fleetwood Mac's Songbird: Christine McVie

Just finished watching this programme. It was okay. It was lovely to have a documentary focusing on Christine, its just a shame it didn't focus on her a bit more. Much of this programme was just a retreading of the history of Fleetwood Mac. Every now and then the makers of the programme remembered it was supposed to be about Christine and brought her back in and played more of her music.

Once again its a shame they didn't focus more on the Bob Welch years. They talked a bit about Bob and mentioned how Chris harmonized with him so well. Sadly none of her music from this period was played.

Stevie made regular contributions; Humorously she mimicked Chris' English accent a couple of times and sounded (and looked) like the Queen.

Irritatingly Neil Finn and Mike Campbell made significant contributions- 'dudes, you've known her for , like, 2 years!!!!'
Neil did comment on her songwriting and mentioned they'd only recently been working on a song together. Perhaps some new music will come out of this incarnation of the band after all.

The images from the Buckingham McVie period were a beautiful reminder of that time. She broke my heart a bit though by saying how great Lindsey was but then callously saying it had to be done and how great it was on stage with the current band. So sad they had to make a programme about Christine McVie with no contribution from Lindsey.

Overall, I'd say there was pretty much nothing new in this documentary. I was hoping for more detail. I'd like to have heard about her relationship with Martin Birch. I'd have liked to have heard from Curry Grant himself. I'd liked to have heard more about exactly what she did in her time away from the band (I don't think they even mentioned In The Meantime).

I did like her description of herself as 'The Queen of the Hook'. Perhaps the biggest take-away from this was full confirmation from the horses mouth (as it were) that Over My Head was definitely 100% written about Lindsey.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 09-20-2019 at 05:16 PM..
Old 09-20-2019, 06:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I can see it now. All the SN cult members will take the bit about Over My Head as proof that he was abusive and temperamental back then. And it justifies his firing.
Old 09-20-2019, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Regarding Over My Head, did Chris have a crush on Lindsey?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Regarding Over My Head, did Chris have a crush on Lindsey?
She intimated she did, yes.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 09-21-2019, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
She intimated she did, yes.
Very interesting....I wonder if that was ever acted on in the Rumours days?
Old 09-21-2019, 02:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
Very interesting....I wonder if that was ever acted on in the Rumours days?
my bet was always that it was - some time in 70s or 80s, because if nothing else they were all so drunk and high and uninhibited. it would be almost improbable that they never did. Christine has been clear over the years that she had a crush on Lindsey at some points. shippers would just always drown this as impossible.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Where can I view this program?

Does the show have much about Christine's early years, her time with Chicken Shack and her "Legendary Christine Perfect album"?

As for Chris reuniting with Lindsey for another album, wouldn't Lindsey's health status make this impossible?
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
Where can I view this program?

Does the show have much about Christine's early years, her time with Chicken Shack and her "Legendary Christine Perfect album"?

As for Chris reuniting with Lindsey for another album, wouldn't Lindsey's health status make this impossible?
well, his heart attack was end of January, so that part should be almost to normal.... and for his voice, collaboration where he has a singer should work, no?

i do think he's working on fixing his voice, and would probably like to get out his solo stuff first, if he gets at least some of his voice back.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-14-2019, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s more than a shame — it’s actually kind of embarrassing — that a big career retrospective on TV for Christine didn’t feature some big names. Where are all the big stars who have loved her music all these decades? Where’s McCartney? Phil Collins? Stevie Winwood? Clapton? Elton? They should be in a TV special like this one, praising Chris for her one-of-the-boys musicianship, pioneering spirit, and songwriting hooks. Why do all the superstars only come out for Stevie Nicks every f*cking time?

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 10-14-2019, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It’s more than a shame — it’s actually kind of embarrassing — that a big career retrospective on TV for Christine didn’t feature some big names. Where are all the big stars who have loved her music all these decades? Where’s McCartney? Phil Collins? Stevie Winwood? Clapton? Elton? They should be in a TV special like this one, praising Chris for her one-of-the-boys musicianship, pioneering spirit, and songwriting hooks. Why do all the superstars only come out for Stevie Nicks every f*cking time?
or any of her regular collaborators on stuff both for FM and her solo work like Richard Hawkins, or her nephew with whom she did a WHOLE ALBUM? And why FFS is that album soooo taboo for her to ever even mention?? Coz it didn't sell a zillion copies and that means it's too shameful to ever reference? Or Lindsey, with whom she did a whole album? (Ok maybe he couldn't talk during the time this was taped) But why shouldn't he get to compliment her and what it was like working with her for years? Oh.....Right. It was the Stevie Nicks PR show.
Old 10-14-2019, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Look, at some point you get tired of carrying a girl’s books home from school and start resenting her for it. When the producer calls and asks if you want to participate, you’re just, “Light up or leave me alone.”

But you’re right. And why don’t other women call Christine a pioneer? I can see why young women romanticize about Stevie and her showmanship. In Stevie’s lyric speak to me as well.

Why aren’t Linda Ronstadt or Dolly Parton or the Dixie Chicks talking about Christine for her musicianship? That dame. People can’t get past Little Lies.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
And why don’t other women call Christine a pioneer? .... Why aren’t Linda Ronstadt or Dolly Parton or the Dixie Chicks talking about Christine for her musicianship?
I completely, totally agree with this. I have been saying this for so many years. Even in the Fleetwood Mac fan community, Christine's musicianship gets overlooked and ignored. During the era of the late '60s to early '70s, years when she was with Chicken Shack, recording her first solo album, and her early years with Fleetwood Mac, she was in a category virtually by herself: a woman who sang lead, wrote her own songs, and played an instrument in a popular music band. How many others were there at the time?